05-06-2014 01:24 AM
38 12
tools
    Ok all, here is the skinny.

For the initial release of Cortana's GeoFencing feature, they didn't want to go with Radius, however, not much choice because of how much work was in the other option (I will explain). The radius is approx. 200 - 500 feet depending on the type of location (Home and Work should be a bit tighter than other places).

This is NOT going to remain!!

They are going to use a combination of Distance and Polygonal special awareness. This means that we will determine the size and shape of a location (not just where the pin is for the address but the shape of the building(s) related to that address) so that on large areas (College, Mall etc.) you can approach it from any direction and once you get within a distance of a "Border", you will get reminded.

Kinda general, but that is all I have at this time as work is underway. No ETA's but people are working on it exclusively.

Thanks!
    04-28-2014 10:32 AM
    Thanks very much Talderon. Knowing this makes it easier to set places already.
    04-28-2014 11:24 AM
    Cool.. Thanks for the update.

I actually put a pin where my desk is in my large work building and make that my work address. I've had pretty good luck with reminders, but this new method looks pretty awesome actually.
    04-28-2014 11:28 AM
    Great, awesome news
    04-28-2014 01:05 PM
    Yesterday Cortana asked me for both my home and work address after I deleted the information I added myself a view days ago. I will test the location based reminder again with this places. Strange thing is that I see only the home address in my favorite places, not the work place. Maybe I hit "No it's wrong" accidentally. Do you no if she will ask me again for it? Another strange thing is that she now appears to do a web search when I ask "where is my home". Instead of showing the place with the map.

Edit: The question "Where is my home" works again.
    Last edited by Rasetech; 04-30-2014 at 12:56 AM.
    04-29-2014 11:19 PM
    I had both my work and home in my favorites and never got the "you should leave for work" reminders so I deleted both 3 days ago and she hasn't asked me if this is home or work yet.
    04-30-2014 08:06 AM
    She will, I had the same scenario
    DaT Franchise likes this.
    04-30-2014 11:26 AM
    the location based reminder did also not work for the home location Cortana set herself....too bad seems i really need to wait for an improvement to the geofencing feature.
    05-01-2014 04:58 AM
    I too have issues. My house address (set as a favorite place) is 1042, but when I use the map app, and have it show where I'm at, it says I'm at 1099 (street name),

Yesterday I had a reminder to pick something up at Lowe's when I got near. It never kicked off, even when I was standing in the middle of the store.

I have a feeling that the map address data isn't right, and is messing up the geolocation reminders. It might be time for Nokia to re-survey the area.
    You are not the only one with this problem. I've put my daughter's school in as a favorite place and the location on the map is rather far off, approximately 200 - 300 yards. The map data was not done by Nokia; it was done by Microsoft. Here Maps and Microsoft Maps both use Microsoft mapping data. The problem is especially problematic here Hawaii. One of my favorite camera shops is near an entrance ramp to the H1 Freeway in Honolulu (about 200ish yards away), but Here Maps and Microsoft Maps shows it ON the H1 entrance ramp. This problem is not unique to Microsoft and Here Maps. It is also a problem with Google Maps as well. I used to have a Galaxy Note II, and when I used Google Maps and Navigation it would say I was there, but when I looked around could not find my destination.

Many of those "surveys" are not people actually going to those locations. They are simply just going to the company's website and pulling the addresses of store locations and sticking it in a database with approximate geo-coordinates.

Also, when I turn on "show WiFi hotspots." The location of the hotspots are wrong too. The WiFi hotspot on the map for my favorite Starbucks is about 40 yards from the actual Starbucks store. That is because the trucks or whatever was used to survey the hotspots used the location of the receiver and I'm fairly certain Starbucks would get a little annoyed to have a WiFi survey truck driving through its stores.
    05-02-2014 12:10 AM
    The map data was not done by Nokia; it was done by Microsoft. Here Maps and Microsoft Maps both use Microsoft mapping data.
    Just playing the wise guy around here: It's just the other way round. Both use Nokia's mapping data.
    05-05-2014 07:02 AM
    I would love to set the radius by myself. If I want my university to be a favorite place I have to have a fence for a whole part of a city. and adding each building would take forever
    I second the motion. All in favor say, "aye."
    05-06-2014 12:00 AM
    Just playing the wise guy around here: It's just the other way round. Both use Nokia's mapping data.
    Touch
    05-06-2014 12:01 AM
    I second the motion. All in favor say, "aye."
    Aye.
    05-06-2014 01:24 AM
38 12