I do not understand why you should always turn on location service to enable Cortina for doing simple task. Cortina is battery drainer because of this in lumia 820.nd also if u set any remainder using Cortana it would not remind u if u turn off location service. ND also guys tell me what is the advantage of running Cortana in Background. Please reply guys. :thumbup::o:beer:

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    04-28-2014 07:10 AM
    Cortana is on beta so it's not 100% optimized. You need location services and data because that's the way it works. It's possible they may change that but anything they put on the phone takes away from the storage space. So it's a compromise.

You don't need to use Cortana if you don't want to.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    04-28-2014 07:23 AM
    Ya then what is personal assistant if it requires location ND Internet all the time. It is draining battery

04-28-2014 10:22 AM
    The problem here has nothing to do with Cortana. Location services should not be a battery drain like it is. That's the real problem.
    a5cent likes this.
    04-28-2014 10:42 AM
    I do not understand why you should always turn on location service to enable Cortina for doing simple task.
    It's because Cortana supports location triggered reminders. For example, I can tell Cortana to remind me to buy batteries when I'm at a particular store. If you could turn location services off while using Cortana, people would then complain that Cortana is unreliable because it ("for some unfathomable reason") isn't able to remind them as intended.

In my experience, enabling location services isn't necessarily a problem. What can cause battery problems are apps that continue to use background location services while not running in the foreground. HERE Drive is one example. I enable battery saver in the HERE Drive settings and make sure to actually close HERE Drive when I'm not using it. That solved all my battery problems, even with location services enabled. Other location aware apps can cause the same issue. I'd suggest taking a look at them.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-28-2014 11:15 AM
    It's because Cortana supports location triggered reminders. For example, I can tell Cortana to remind me to buy batteries when I'm at a particular store. If you could turn location services off while using Cortana, people would then complain that Cortana is unreliable because it ("for some unfathomable reason") isn't able to remind them as intended.

In my experience, enabling location services isn't necessarily a problem. What can cause battery problems are apps that continue to use background location services while not running in the foreground. HERE Drive is one example. I enable battery saver in the HERE Drive settings and make sure to actually close HERE Drive when I'm not using it. That solved all my battery problems, even with location services enabled. Other location aware apps can cause the same issue. I'd suggest taking a look at them.
    K I have a doubt do we have to run Cortana in Background for making her to remind us things.?

04-28-2014 11:18 AM
    The problem here has nothing to do with Cortana. Location services should not be a battery drain like it is. That's the real problem.
    Or... too many apps making use of GPS based tracking that shouldn't be using it in the first place. GPS is a battery drain. Far too many developers think their own app is important enough to warrant GPS based location tracking, when cell tower based tracking would be good enough. HERE Drive running in the background makes no sense to me either...

IMHO any use of GPS should require user permission every time, except when the device is plugged in.
    04-28-2014 11:20 AM
    K I have a doubt do we have to run Cortana in Background for making her to remind us things.?

Why don't you try and see? Shut off Cortana in the background, and shut off your location service as well.

Get back to us with how well Cortana does location-based reminders.
    a5cent likes this.
    04-28-2014 12:52 PM
    As some location knowledge is a low level function (e.g. enabling GPS hardware), it could be that firmware changes might improve this a little. Or if already optimized, not. When the full 8.1 with Nokia firmware comes out, we'll find out.
    04-28-2014 02:02 PM
    Having Cortana activated uses more battery due to the location services being permanently activated. This is ok, but a true drain occurs when you pin her to the start screen. Unpin her and the battery consumption should be less. I guess the drain is caused by her constantly being in the foreground when pinned- the app does not go to a sort of standby mode, but stays fully on all the time. Unpinned, Cortana only works when you actively use her via search; otherwise she remains active in the background for the reminders only. At least that's what it seems like to me.
    10-01-2014 11:53 PM