The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    For those of you who work at a large shopping center or spend a lot of time at a University or park or other large space with multiple entries and exits, it would be nice to have the whole thing defined as one location for Cortana's location-based reminders. Here is what I am doing to work around the issue of geofencing being tied to a relatively small geographic location. I know that Talderon has stated that the Cortana team is working on a way to define a large user-defined polygon as a single saved location. Once that goes live, it will make this method obsolete, but for the time being this seems to work for me.

Cortana allows you to save more than one location with the same name. You could save many different entry/exit points in a University and save them all with the name "school." Now your location-based reminders will be triggered when approaching or leaving any of your saved locations named "school."

Here's how you set this up and use it.

Open Microsoft Maps app, and tap the place on the map where you would like one of your location reminders. If you didn't get it exactly where you want it with your tap, you can drag it to the exact place you want it to be centered. In this screenshot I have three already saved locations marked with a star, and one with a flag that I am preparing to save after moving it where I want it. It should look like this on the screen:

wp_ss_20140430_0006.png

Once you have it there, tap the dot, such as the one to the left of the M in Madison and you should bring up this screen:

wp_ss_20140430_0001-1-.png

From there, tap the star at the bottom right of the screen and you will bring up the dialog box to save this location as one of Cortana's favorites.

Here you have the option to define this as home, work, or other, and optionally to give it a nickname. If you happen to work at this large location, I would select the work option. Regardless of whether you pick home/work/other, you will want to give it a nickname. It will look like this:

wp_ss_20140430_0002-1-.png

Once you do that, continue saving all possible entry and exit points with the exact same nickname and the same home/work/other designation. Once you have multiple locations saved, you can see them in Cortana when you go to her notebook by tapping on the three lines at the top right corner. It will look like this:

wp_ss_20140430_0003-1-.png

Now in this example I tell Cortana to remind me to go home when I leave Hoyt Park. Cortana gives me one of the saved locations as the first choice, but right below that she lets me select "Any Hoyt Park." By "Any Hoyt Park" she means "Any location saved with the name 'Hoyt Park'".

wp_ss_20140430_0004-1-.png

Select this "Any Hoyt Park" option.

Now geofencing will be triggered by any of my saved locations with this name.

wp_ss_20140430_0005-1-.png

I don't know if there is a limit to how many places you can save with the same name, but I haven't seen one with four.
    Last edited by David Lohrentz; 04-30-2014 at 09:33 PM.
    04-30-2014 09:19 PM
    I was wondering how that worked. I set reminders and mapped when I leave to drop tue kids off at school and where its at but I don't get anything from Cortana other than the reminder to leave.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-30-2014 09:47 PM
    Me too. Geofencing don't work for me.
    I try: Remeber me to blah blah blah when I get home, etc... And don't work. :(
    Stay in the notebook, but don't work.
    04-30-2014 11:56 PM
    Me too. Geofencing don't work for me.
    I try: Remeber me to blah blah blah when I get home, etc... And don't work. :(
    Stay in the notebook, but don't work.
    Same here. I Dunno what I'm not doing right.
    05-01-2014 01:15 AM
    The problem is discussed in many threads already. It seems that we have to wait for improvements on the GeoFencing feature.
    ven07 likes this.
    05-01-2014 04:59 AM
    Is it really geofencing? Does Cortana really connects the points or simply a bunch of points grouped in the same area simply covers our area (each point have some error radius I guess).
    It looks like the "use any" definition is more suitable for alert me when reaching any wall mart.
    I will try to mark far points around my city and see if it alerts me on mu arrival back home
    05-01-2014 07:43 AM
    No it technically isn't geofencing. But it will trigger reminders when arriving or leaving at a large area such as a shopping mall or university. This method wouldn't work for an area as big as a city, as you would have to define way too many entry and exit points. It would take you days to set that up and then your saved locations would be cluttered with too much saved data.

It will work for an area that has maybe 10-20 entry/exit points.
    ven07 likes this.
    05-01-2014 08:04 AM
    I have a little bit of bad news when running this by the team.

Any Hoyt Park (using the example above) doesnt use the favorite locations you have saved. It would set up one bigger fence for Hoyt Park.

If you used My Favorite Park as the nick name, and tried Any My Favorite Park, the reminder most likely wont work, because there is no real park named My Favorite Park.

When you select a particular favorite location from the list when setting the reminder, the radius is ~200 meters. When you select any, the radius is determined by cloud and will most likely to be bigger.

Once polygonal geofencing is implemented, this will be moot (as stated in OP).

Hope this sheds some light on things.
    SpaceyO and b23h like this.
    05-01-2014 04:09 PM
    Bummer. I thought it was working, but I guess I should have done more testing.
    05-01-2014 06:01 PM
    I set points at home location, kids school location and my bank(only 1 where I live)location. I'm guessing once the reminders are set then it kicks the the alarm on. I guess otherwise I would have constant reminders to go to the bank or WalMart since its along my route. I guess like the Motorola atrix HD, you could set destination markers and turn off or on your wifi when you get to set address automatically without having to toggle anything. That's what I'm hoping for on the actual release for those options.
    05-01-2014 06:21 PM
    Bummer. I thought it was working, but I guess I should have done more testing.
    Yeah, I really though you had something there so I sent it up to the team. Man, my hopes were crushed. :(
    05-01-2014 07:45 PM
    I figured it out or someone pointed it out and it was something I looked over. Go to Cortana, go to the settings in the upper right hand corner, after that tap on interests, then go to traffic and tap that, then go to the box below traffic and favorite places and check that. That should give you noti's when you have reminders set and the direction to your favorite places and traffic info. Just because I didn't check a box, lol.
    05-07-2014 11:34 AM
    It seems like adding the multiple Hoyt Parks must have done something to resolve his problem because if he hadn't added the additional Hoyt Park entries it wouldn't give the option for "All Hoyt Parks".
    01-20-2015 08:00 PM