08-23-2014 05:11 AM
66 123
tools
    Note that if you add locations to calendar appointments she'll remind you when you have to leave for those too, giving traffic...
    CyberAngel_777 likes this.
    05-06-2014 09:34 PM
    What Cortana needs to be is like Siri and Google Now except good. Siri has Wolfram Alpha, but otherwise is not very good. Google Now is fast, has good voice recognition, and has some good features (where my car is parked, stores in malls, etc.), but has a lot of annoying features like delivering news stories to me when I've already searched for them and creepy stuff like tracking my flight from an email in my inbox. If Microsoft can continue to expand the third party app support and add in a reliable and visually appealing way to get information (Google has cards and then searches, MS should make the information show up in a box like Siri and show the previous stuff in the "conversation" and make searches a swipe away) and add in a Touchless Control style feature for supported devices, Cortana will become the voice assistant/voice... thing of choice for a lot of people.
    05-06-2014 10:18 PM
    What Cortana needs to be is like Siri and Google Now except good. Siri has Wolfram Alpha, but otherwise is not very good. Google Now is fast, has good voice recognition, and has some good features (where my car is parked, stores in malls, etc.), but has a lot of annoying features like delivering news stories to me when I've already searched for them and creepy stuff like tracking my flight from an email in my inbox. If Microsoft can continue to expand the third party app support and add in a reliable and visually appealing way to get information (Google has cards and then searches, MS should make the information show up in a box like Siri and show the previous stuff in the "conversation" and make searches a swipe away) and add in a Touchless Control style feature for supported devices, Cortana will become the voice assistant/voice... thing of choice for a lot of people.
    Cortana does all the creepy stuff too. I fail to see how that's a bad thing?
    05-06-2014 10:23 PM
    Lucky dogs.... I work from home... wait.. that would make me the lucky dog.
    05-06-2014 10:28 PM
    Another awesome thing happened. I got a mail on my work email from a colleague about rescheduling a meeting and Cortana highlighted that part in blue. When I tapped it, Cortana asked me whether I want this to be saved in calendar or not. Truly smart phone. I was about to defect to the darker side aka android as I was looking for some new phone to upgrade but last few weeks with Cortana have convinced me. I'm eying 1520 now, 😊

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Cortana
    05-06-2014 10:54 PM
    THis was awesome!!!! I just asked her "Latest Spurs game" and she replied "Currently the Spurs are creaming the Trailblazer by 116-92" This was with 10 seconds left.. After the game I asked her again and her reply was "On Tuesday the Spurs crushed the Trailblazers by...."
    James8561 and jojoe42 like this.
    05-06-2014 11:13 PM
    THis was awesome!!!! I just asked her "Latest Spurs game" and she replied "Currently the Spurs are creaming the Trailblazer by 116-92" This was with 10 seconds left.. After the game I asked her again and her reply was "On Tuesday the Spurs crushed the Trailblazers by...."
    I don't follow sports but I did test this out now and that is way cool :)
    05-07-2014 12:19 AM
    I hope Cortana is ready for the World Cup! I'm looking forward to that!
    mmbond likes this.
    05-07-2014 12:43 AM
    Waiting for this to happen.
    Even I'm waiting for this to happen! :S
    05-07-2014 01:58 AM
    Do you kiss your phone with that mouth? Cos it sounds like Cortana may be the closest thing to a relationship you'll ever have.
    That was actually a good comeback.
    But still, come on man, don't be a sourpuss.
    05-07-2014 08:05 AM
    If this isn't working for you, open Cortana, open the settings menu, open Interests and then hit Traffic to open its settings. Verify the "Notify me when it's time to go" box is checked for traffic events. By default mine was not checked for traffic events. It started working after selecting it.

ouch. i never knew i could do that. But for some reason, I Cortana can't seem to get me traffic information. Maybe traffic monitoring isn't available in Vietnam yet.

Sent from my RM-846_apac_vietnam_203 using Tapatalk
    05-07-2014 10:14 AM
    Has anybody been able to ask her what the traffic is like?

Edit: never mind I think they fixed it since last time I tried! Sweet
    05-07-2014 10:23 AM
    My phone began doing this within a week of using Cortana. I arrive at work at different times on a few days a week and it has already learned that as well. It recognized my home and work within days of using it. It really is amazing how much content that it is absorbing and giving back to me in meaningful ways. And just think; this is just the beta!
    jleebiker likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:36 AM
    Cortana does all the creepy stuff too. I fail to see how that's a bad thing?
    Cortana stores the data in the phone, Google has it on their servers.
    James8561 likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:58 AM
    last month i set up a location based reminder, today when i went at that place, my cellular data was off, but still cortana notified me about that reminder.. That was really impressive from Cortana... :)
    05-07-2014 10:59 AM
    Cortana stores the data in the phone, Google has it on their servers.
    So no one can see your stuff(it isn't just lying around in the cloud)
    05-07-2014 11:01 AM
    If this isn't working for you, open Cortana, open the settings menu, open Interests and then hit Traffic to open its settings. Verify the "Notify me when it's time to go" box is checked for traffic events. By default mine was not checked for traffic events. It started working after selecting it.
    Mine has been on since day 1. Still never got a notice from her to leave work.
    ReconVirus likes this.
    05-07-2014 12:09 PM
    I just told Cortana "I'm going to shower" (yes I thought that's something my phone should know). To my amazement the reply was "And now going to California". Then she started playing Led Zeppelin's 'Going to California' from my music collection! Of course this is not a "useful" feature and maybe just some "fooling around with beta", but I'm still impressed about what kind of AI algorithm you need to have to implement that. Besides it makes the interface more interesting and fun.
    cckgz4 and carlos12001 like this.
    05-07-2014 01:52 PM
    I just told Cortana "I'm going to shower" (yes I thought that's something my phone should know). To my amazement the reply was "And now going to California". Then she started playing Led Zeppelin's 'Going to California' from my music collection! Of course this is not a "useful" feature and maybe just some "fooling around with beta", but I'm still impressed about what kind of AI algorithm you need to have to implement that. Besides it makes the interface more interesting and fun.
    That is really cool, and interesting. I wonder what other random things she could act on?
    05-07-2014 09:59 PM
    last month i set up a location based reminder, today when i went at that place, my cellular data was off, but still cortana notified me about that reminder.. That was really impressive from Cortana... :)
    He'll yea it is, I told her once "remind me to pick up something when I get to WalMart" so she picked my local WalMart, and sure enough she reminded me when I walked in the door!
    05-07-2014 10:03 PM
    Note that if you add locations to calendar appointments she'll remind you when you have to leave for those too, giving traffic...
    I'm having more trouble with that working. I'm not sure if it needs up to zip code or just a street or somewhere in between
    05-07-2014 10:11 PM
    I'm having more trouble with that working. I'm not sure if it needs up to zip code or just a street or somewhere in between
    It's not working for me either and I have zip codes input for the addresses to my events.
    05-07-2014 10:15 PM
    Yesterday I got an appointment leave reminder by using street, city, state (NO ZIP)

I wish when I add locations I could use contactX-Home or -Work or something...
    Amrykid likes this.
    05-09-2014 01:09 PM
    Hmmm, all I have is a travel option. It doesn't show anything for traffic?
    The traffic option is in the "Daily Routine" section.
    05-12-2014 10:59 AM
    I haven't seen that yet but I know several friends who get these reminders from Cortana
    05-12-2014 11:03 AM
66 123