Wow, that was awesome Cortana.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If this isn't working for you, open Cortana, open the settings menu, open Interests and then hit Traffic to open its settings. Verify the "Notify me when it's time to go" box is checked for traffic events. By default mine was not checked for traffic events. It started working after selecting it.

Mine has been on since day 1. Still never got a notice from her to leave work.

winlin

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I just told Cortana "I'm going to shower" (yes I thought that's something my phone should know). To my amazement the reply was "And now going to California". Then she started playing Led Zeppelin's 'Going to California' from my music collection! Of course this is not a "useful" feature and maybe just some "fooling around with beta", but I'm still impressed about what kind of AI algorithm you need to have to implement that. Besides it makes the interface more interesting and fun.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I just told Cortana "I'm going to shower" (yes I thought that's something my phone should know). To my amazement the reply was "And now going to California". Then she started playing Led Zeppelin's 'Going to California' from my music collection! Of course this is not a "useful" feature and maybe just some "fooling around with beta", but I'm still impressed about what kind of AI algorithm you need to have to implement that. Besides it makes the interface more interesting and fun.

That is really cool, and interesting. I wonder what other random things she could act on?

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
last month i set up a location based reminder, today when i went at that place, my cellular data was off, but still cortana notified me about that reminder.. That was really impressive from Cortana... :)

He'll yea it is, I told her once "remind me to pick up something when I get to WalMart" so she picked my local WalMart, and sure enough she reminded me when I walked in the door!

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Note that if you add locations to calendar appointments she'll remind you when you have to leave for those too, giving traffic...

I'm having more trouble with that working. I'm not sure if it needs up to zip code or just a street or somewhere in between

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I got an appointment leave reminder by using street, city, state (NO ZIP)

I wish when I add locations I could use contactX-Home or -Work or something...

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Loving the location based reminders. I was thinking of withdrawing some cash but it was not so urgent that i'll look for my bank's atm. Thus I told Cortana to remind me to withdraw cash whenever i'm near any branch of ICICI bank atm. And in the evening when I reached near my home it popped up and showed this reminder. I guess it searched some nearby bank. Cool.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Cortana

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Can't get it to work :( Do you know any solution ?
9ysy7u4a.png

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have battery saver on but I fixed that by allowing to run on background when baterry saver is on

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm still an off and on iOS user and find the location based reminders are so better implemented in wp8.1! I'm hoping for a few more ease of use features with calendar location and address searching from Cortana though.

Susmit257

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
cortana suddenly not connecting to my Wi-Fi ,📶 , but working fine on 3g or 2g ...Wi-Fi network is alright, everything is working properly expect Cortana Somebody plz help :'(

dana_flood

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
So far, I haven't had much luck with Cortana in the following areas:
- Flight Tracking. I've got the box checked for Cortana to harvest data from my email, but I've never gotten her to track a flight/offer to track a flight automatically. My last trip, I even had the flight tracked in Bing Travel and she still didn't pick up on it. When I used Cortana to search manually for the flight info, she did offer to track it, however.
- Location-based things are very inconsistent/laggy. In the last week, I've set three location-based reminders. One for home, one for a specific grocery store, and one for a specific furniture store. The reminder for home popped up after I'd been home for about five minutes, the grocery store reminder popped up as I was pulling out of the store parking lot (having spent 30 minutes to finish my shopping trip withou the reminder), and the other one never popped up at all.
- Cortana knows where I work, she knows where I live, and I've clicked what I think are all the appropriate "my commute" settings under interests (and again in Nokia Drive). I've never gotten a work-related auto traffic notification.
- Traffic notifications for what time to leave for other appointments are working quite nicely, though.
- Voice requests for the NBA playoffs yield inconsistent results. Asking "How are the Portland Trail Blazers doing?" resulted in getting a host of web search results; using the exact same question five minutes later got me the tragic (but accurate) answer that the Spurs were crushing them in the third quarter of the game.
- Person-based reminders rock. Very impressed with this feature. I'm not sure whether it would be awesome or creepy if Cortana parsed the person's Facebook to suggest I ask about things like major status changes and such.

So, thus far, I'm seeing some, but not a lot, of awesome from Cortana. I am seeing a lot of good potential. My hope is that Microsoft's development cycle is faster now than it has been since WP launched. Right now, I think Google Now is way ahead of Cortana in many respects (but since Google is, well, evil, I won't reward them by buying an Android phone). Still, Cortana is pretty good for a beta service, and I look forward to seeing how she evolves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss