The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-23-2014 05:11 AM
66 123
tools
    Just today I was about to leave my office at around 6pm, I got a nice little notification on my phone which surprised me. It was Cortana, she was telling me that if I leave now for home then I can reach home by 6:50 in this traffic. She also pointed out the fastest route. That was simply amazing. I guess she was running in background all those days, learning my routine and just today decided to pop out of nowhere to surprise me. What more is in store for us? Share your cool and surprising experiences with Cortana here.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Cortana
    05-05-2014 11:02 AM
    Waiting for this to happen.
    DaT Franchise likes this.
    05-05-2014 11:17 AM
    Happened with me also.... Amazing
    05-05-2014 11:19 AM
    I'm living in Jamaica & was ecstatic to get this notification last week Thursday as well.
    Last edited by OHardy; 05-07-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    ven07 likes this.
    05-05-2014 11:24 AM
    Now i'm getting this notification before levying to work too. Awesome.

Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20140506_0001.png  
    ven07, Reebs Reebs, filfat and 1 others like this.
    05-05-2014 08:58 PM
    Would really love to know how to teach my cortana this
    05-06-2014 06:57 AM
    Can it be that MS flipped a switch yesterday in the backend? Just since yesterday the same is popping up for me also :)
    ven07 likes this.
    05-06-2014 07:02 AM
    I've had Cortana since day one, and she has never suggested this to me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    jleebiker likes this.
    05-06-2014 07:26 AM
    Just today I was about to leave my office at around 6pm, I got a nice little notification on my phone which surprised me. It was Cortana, she was telling me that if I leave now for home then I can reach home by 6:50 in this traffic. She also pointed out the fastest route. That was simply amazing. I guess she was running in background all those days, learning my routine and just today decided to pop out of nowhere to surprise me. What more is in store for us? Share your cool and surprising experiences with Cortana here.

So, basically what Google Now has been doing for 1+ years? Cool story bro. When can we get actual useful features that aren't just playing catchup with Google/Apple?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Google sycophant, but not an MS one either. I just like WP and Xbox and it pains me to see WP so far behind...
    05-06-2014 08:42 AM
    So, basically what Google Now has been doing for 1+ years? Cool story bro. When can we get actual useful features that aren't just playing catchup with Google/Apple?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Google sycophant, but not an MS one either. I just like WP and Xbox and it pains me to see WP so far behind...
    To be fair, this is actually a little bit better of an implementation than Google's. Why? Because this will actually pop up and notify you, whereas on Android, it shows up as a card that you have to get to or swipe down from the notification shade.

I like Microsoft's version better.
    05-06-2014 08:52 AM

The cooler story is that that's about all google now has been doing for 1+ years now, at least WP is innovating
    And growing. I Haven't seen android or apple doing either lately.
    Ashhar Hasan and James8561 like this.
    05-06-2014 08:57 AM
    I've been using 8.1 since the day it was released, talked to Cortana everyday, took her to work every morning, and I haven't seen or heard her telling me when to leave for work, ever :( probably because of the fact that I live in Vietnam... Oh man, I am so so so sooooo envy with you guys

Sent from my RM-846_apac_vietnam_203 using Tapatalk
    05-06-2014 10:11 AM
    If this isn't working for you, open Cortana, open the settings menu, open Interests and then hit Traffic to open its settings. Verify the "Notify me when it's time to go" box is checked for traffic events. By default mine was not checked for traffic events. It started working after selecting it.
    05-06-2014 01:42 PM
    Oh and don't forget to hit the Save button (you can't just back out).
    CyberAngel_777 likes this.
    05-06-2014 01:43 PM

Did Google notify you to tell you that you're a pompous piece of crap? No...because Google sucks.
    05-06-2014 01:45 PM
    Don't forget to specify your work and home places in the notebook.
    CyberAngel_777 likes this.
    05-06-2014 06:20 PM
    Cortana is pretty amazing to be considered beta. Used it to respond and send text all the way home during my 45 minute drive.
    05-06-2014 06:55 PM
    05-06-2014 07:00 PM
    Can it be that MS flipped a switch yesterday in the backend? Just since yesterday the same is popping up for me also :)
    Mi thinks MS has been secretly working on her and giving us silent updates.. Conspiracy :P kidding kidding
    05-06-2014 08:09 PM

you tooo? she learnt my routine and as soon as l got out of work at 2 the notification about traffic saying traffic is light and will get home in 30 minutes.she now knows i always get out at 2. nice one there cortana
    05-06-2014 08:15 PM
    If this isn't working for you, open Cortana, open the settings menu, open Interests and then hit Traffic to open its settings. Verify the "Notify me when it's time to go" box is checked for traffic events. By default mine was not checked for traffic events. It started working after selecting it.
    Hmmm, all I have is a travel option. It doesn't show anything for traffic?
    05-06-2014 08:20 PM
    Did Google notify you to tell you that you're a pompous piece of crap? No...because Google sucks.
    awesome. lmao
    05-06-2014 08:21 PM
    Yeah its cool how Cortana learns your routine and then ask you if you work or go to school their
    05-06-2014 09:15 PM

You know what you got there don't cha? You got yourself a truly "smart" phone. When it happened to me, it was so unexpected and so personal, all I could do was look at my Lumia 920 and smile. I said, now this is a smart phone.
    Ashhar Hasan and HaibaneReki like this.
    05-06-2014 09:28 PM
    To be fair, this is actually a little bit better of an implementation than Google's. Why? Because this will actually pop up and notify you, whereas on Android, it shows up as a card that you have to get to or swipe down from the notification shade.

I like Microsoft's version better.
    No, actually. For a few things, Google Now fires a notification too. Time to leave for work/home is one of them.
    05-06-2014 09:33 PM
66 123