Cortana Trip Planner

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys and gals,

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced Cortana's trip planner feature? If I recall, she is supposedly to gather information from confirmation emails regarding your flight and give you status updates, weather info, etc. Does she start giving reminders and status updates a day or several hours before?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hmm someone had asked this about India.. I dont think she will cover Europe just yet as she is not available over there.. Or she will, but not as specific as you would like

neall141

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it worked for my recent trip. First, when I booked the flight (via Orbitz), Cortana saw the confirmation emails come in and asked me if I wanted her to track the flights. When I opened Cortana on the day of the flights, it had an itinerary with flight status, how long it will take to get to the airport with current traffic and the weather of my destination. Same for my return flight. It was really nice because I didn't have to open multiple apps or searches to get the same info. It was all there for me.

Vikram Murkute

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it worked for my recent trip. First, when I booked the flight (via Orbitz), Cortana saw the confirmation emails come in and asked me if I wanted her to track the flights. When I opened Cortana on the day of the flights, it had an itinerary with flight status, how long it will take to get to the airport with current traffic and the weather of my destination. Same for my return flight. It was really nice because I didn't have to open multiple apps or searches to get the same info. It was all there for me.

Where do you live and which email id did the confirmation come in to? was it microsoft/hotmail or gmail/others? I have been trying to figure out the Cortana Trip planner for a while but to no avail.

NarcoSleepy

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I am having an issue with this as well. I tried to book via Orbitz, but was having problems, so I booked directly from the airline. I have confirmation emails, but I can't figure out how to get Cortana to recognize them. A link in the email tries to open an iCalendar (*.ics) object (Apple or Google format?). Is there any way to get Cortana to recognize this?

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I booked a Delta flight and didn't get asked to track...

I noticed that Cortana will ask if the flight is only a couple days out. I had a flight scheduled for Boston a couple of days ago...however I made the flight like 3weeks ago. Cortana asked me if I wanted to track a couple of days before. Flight was Delta. Used Orbitz to buy the tickets.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I just traveled and was curious what would happen, too. Unfortunately, Cortana did not find my flight info on her own, despite me having a couple of emails about the flight on my phone. The only thing I can think of is that I did not book the flight myself--my wife did, so she got the confirmation emails and forwarded them to me. That might be why Cortana didn't pick up on them.

I was able to get Cortana to give me some trip information by searching for the flight itself, on the day of the trip. I typed out the flight number "AA ####" for American Airlines. She showed a card with the flight information, and right under it, it has a link for "Show AA #### updates". If you press that, it will then show up in your interests page. The card tells you if the flight is on time and then has a nice graphic table with the departure times, airport codes, gate number, etc. (You can try this yourself with any random flight number...)

This is definitely something that could be improved in Cortana over time. Surely there are key terms in flight confirmation emails that she could search for, such as "Record Locator". This should work even if you didn't make the flight reservation yourself, or it was reserved a long time ago. Or even if you are just picking someone up from the airport and they forward you their confirmation email.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I just traveled and was curious what would happen, too. Unfortunately, Cortana did not find my flight info on her own, despite me having a couple of emails about the flight on my phone. The only thing I can think of is that I did not book the flight myself--my wife did, so she got the confirmation emails and forwarded them to me. That might be why Cortana didn't pick up on them.

I was able to get Cortana to give me some trip information by searching for the flight itself, on the day of the trip. I typed out the flight number "AA ####" for American Airlines. She showed a card with the flight information, and right under it, it has a link for "Show AA #### updates". If you press that, it will then show up in your interests page. The card tells you if the flight is on time and then has a nice graphic table with the departure times, airport codes, gate number, etc. (You can try this yourself with any random flight number...)

This is definitely something that could be improved in Cortana over time. Surely there are key terms in flight confirmation emails that she could search for, such as "Record Locator". This should work even if you didn't make the flight reservation yourself, or it was reserved a long time ago. Or even if you are just picking someone up from the airport and they forward you their confirmation email.

Not sure what was wrong because around Easter, Cortana ALSO found my sister's itinerary and asked to track it. This was forwarded to me by my mother which was forwarded from my sister. It was a Delta itinerary as well booked by Travelocity.

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
When I first set Cortana up, she found confirmations from American Airlines and asked if I wanted her to track them. However, recently, my sister was flying in and she forwarded her itinerary to me, but Cortana never picked it out of my email to track it.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
From reading all of these posts it seems like a hit or miss which hopefully the team working on cortana will improve before the "beta" tag is removed.

Geronimo928

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Any updates on Cortana trip planner? Had a shocking revelation this past weekend on my way back to the airport my wife's S4 was tracking all the flight info :-O and when on google maps it displayed flight departure time and asked if she would like to see the email with flight itinerary. After my eyes widening..I wondered...why is Cortana not tracking this for me? What's the "formula" for getting this to track properly on WP? For a second I thought....perhaps the time has come for me to move on from this platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99