Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft, Apple, and Google are all going to be really fighting to make their personal assistant smarter and more useful than their competitors. This may be the biggest area of growth in mobile OS design over the next year or so.

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing... I showed off Cortana this weekend with the whole "Next time I'm at Krogers, remind me to get milk" scenario. The group was pretty impressed that it could be ANY Krogers, and not just the grocery store near me.

You know it's only a matter of time before the others do this as well. Of course, with Apple, you'll have to buy a new phone to get that feature (and they all will).

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Cortana. I can't activate it. And even when, it would be only available in English. And it's in beta.

Google and Apple have a lot of time to improve their services and make them available internationally. Microsoft is always very US focused.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Cortana. I can't activate it. And even when, it would be only available in English. And it's in beta.

Google and Apple have a lot of time to improve their services and make them available internationally. Microsoft is always very US focused.

You have to start somewhere, something like this doesn't come out in one night. Sorry.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You have to start somewhere, something like this doesn't come out in one night. Sorry.

I don't know how great Cortana is, as I was never able to use it. All I say is that Cortana won't have any impact anywhere except of the US and to some extent Great Britain (for users without an 8X blocking US as language), as just nobody can use it.

People will not even notice this flattery as nobody knew it was there and they have no reference point for comparison.

Just as an example, everybody thinks Apple invented the smartphone, while I was using Windows Mobile for the longest time before.

Also, when looking at the terribe state of Bing in about every country except the US, I don't expect to see Cortana being great abroad anytime soon.

I'm just making a point here, Cortana might be awesome, and I hear it is. I believe it is. I just don't think that many people will care in the long run.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The benefit Google has is Google IS an extension of the NSA.
Their business is to snoop on your data.

Glad to have Cortana and not have to bow down to Google anymore. LOL
Not that Microsoft probably doesn't have some ties to government spying, but Google exploded out of nowhere because of funding from spy agencies. No better way to copy and data mine the American's (and the world) than to give them something they will willingly use.

matty032

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
The benefit Google has is Google IS an extension of the NSA.
Their business is to snoop on your data.

Glad to have Cortana and not have to bow down to Google anymore. LOL
Not that Microsoft probably doesn't have some ties to government spying, but Google exploded out of nowhere because of funding from spy agencies. No better way to copy and data mine the American's (and the world) than to give them something they will willingly use.

True Dat!

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Why is this such a big problem for everyone? Microsoft mentioned 15 languages will be supported on RELEASE, its still in BETA. Siri was released years ago, and still doesn't support more languages. Google Now, still only support English.
And to use Siri Apple forced their costumers to buy a new phone, although the iPhone 4 could use Siri, before Apple bought them. Cortana is available on every phone, cheap or expensive.

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Why is this such a big problem for everyone? Microsoft mentioned 15 languages will be supported on RELEASE, its still in BETA. Siri was released years ago, and still doesn't support more languages. Google Now, still only support English.
And to use Siri Apple forced their costumers to buy a new phone, although the iPhone 4 could use Siri, before Apple bought them. Cortana is available on every phone, cheap or expensive.

Siri does know German ;-)

And anyway, that they will release Cortana at one point is not the point of the thread. It's about the competition being potentially faster (or more recognized).

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
But you are bashing a beta, its not released yet. And from the comparisons I have seen Cortana actually seem to work better in beta and do more, then both Google Now and Siri. Microsoft has been in the voice control business for about 15-20 years, they are in noway behind the competition.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
But you are bashing a beta, its not released yet. And from the comparisons I have seen Cortana actually seem to work better in beta and do more, then both Google Now and Siri. Microsoft has been in the voice control business for about 15-20 years, they are in noway behind the competition.

I'm not bashing anything. I think Cortana is a good product, even in beta. I'd love to have it.

In the context of this thread the quality doesn't matter though. You don't have to defend it, nobody is saying anything against it. It's about how the public will think about the futures that Cortana has and the competition doesn't have yet, but most likely will have soon.

You actually give the competition all the more reasons to claim features for themselves with your argumentation. "Well, it wasn't even released, so they didn't have the features before us, it was us who did it!" ;-)

And I really hope you didn't create an account to argue about something there's nothing to argue about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss