Cortana sounds different today.

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping she'd be a little more context aware. She is when it comes to things like asking for a restaurant > pick option > give me directions to X. But for the most part, it's singular. For example, if you say "tell me a joke" she tells you the joke but if you then compliment her by saying "very funny" it'll simply search for very funny. Siri is actually pretty good at understanding the context of which something is said so while Cortana jokes about things being a little one sided in their conversations, Cortana is nothing one sided.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping she'd be a little more context aware. She is when it comes to things like asking for a restaurant > pick option > give me directions to X. But for the most part, it's singular. For example, if you say "tell me a joke" she tells you the joke but if you then compliment her by saying "very funny" it'll simply search for very funny. Siri is actually pretty good at understanding the context of which something is said so while Cortana jokes about things being a little one sided in their conversations, Cortana is nothing one sided.

Give it some time, Siri wasn't made overnight, Siri is actually very old and was bought by Apple.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's almost like there should be two buttons: one to do a Bing search and one to talk directly to Cortana. It's a little frustrating to get Bing search after Bing search because she's not picking up on you talking to her specifically.

What I really think should be implemented is if you start or end a sentence with her name that should be signal that you want her to respond to you.

"Cortana, you're very funny", "You're very funny, Cortana", etc.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It's almost like there should be two buttons: one to do a Bing search and one to talk directly to Cortana. It's a little frustrating to get Bing search after Bing search because she's not picking up on you talking to her specifically.

What I really think should be implemented is if you start or end a sentence with her name that should be signal that you want her to respond to you.

"Cortana, you're very funny", "You're very funny, Cortana", etc.

Dat will make sense!!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow, she sings with a tune now....lol.. Wonder if features have been upgraded at this point ? Was this a "app" update that came down (one of those background apps that you don't see), or was this all server based...

Still have the bug, if I ask tell me a joke, I will get "Cant find a number for <facebook contact>" and crash to the tile page....

Sameer Chandra

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Wow, she sings with a tune now....lol.. Wonder if features have been upgraded at this point ? Was this a "app" update that came down (one of those background apps that you don't see), or was this all server based...

Still have the bug, if I ask tell me a joke, I will get "Cant find a number for <facebook contact>" and crash to the tile page....

You need to ask "Tell a joke"

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
My favourite thing with cortana is simple and effective
Play some music
Ok shuffling some music... instant music with no app messing, that I like 😊

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Give it some time, Siri wasn't made overnight, Siri is actually very old and was bought by Apple.

I'm certainly aware of Siris past (and how it had more function) and I'm aware of the state of Cortana. I'm just saying what I want from Cortana eventually.

Edit: Cortana right now is being really janky for me at the moment. Anyone else experiencing problems? Earlier it was taking several seconds to just answer or fail completely. Then after that, it just wouldn't pick up a single thing I said correctly. I wanted to test out context by using "Who is the president?" then "who is his wife?" both of which I got a correct reply but I wanted to ask "what's their dog's name?" to which is wouldn't pick up and even changed dog to dawg. I was successful in a pizza query though going from find me pizza > which are 4 stars? > what are open? > map of the 2nd one > what time does it close? This was also a good test as the voice changed from TellMe to Jens voice throughout and in the last query changed almost every word when Cortana told me the restaurant was open until 10:30.

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

At the moment, Cortana is utilitarian- the novelty of having "conversations" with Siri is fun, but I don't think we're really missing out on anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6