Cortana | Quiet Hours + Inner Circle + Read Aloud = Embarrassed!

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I get that I have folks in my Inner Circle who break through during quiet hours... I do. That's the feature. I get it.

But today in a meeting at work, I set my phone to Quiet Hours, and Cortana later started in with "You have a new text message from... " AAARRRRGGGHHH!! =) That was embarrassing!

I almost feel like there should be an additional option here... maybe a "choose voice/sound/off for Quiet Hours" to give a small *ding* or something to indicate that this is from the inner circle and is important, but not read aloud the text message to my whole team! =)

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's called airplane mode or vibrate only. Of any noise is embarrassing, then mute it before a meeting. I just hit airplane mode and return after the meeting

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if one of the Quick Actions options was "vibrate only" so you could toggle between your ringer and vibrate only with a single tap.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if one of the Quick Actions options was "vibrate only" so you could toggle between your ringer and vibrate only with a single tap.

Na, I'm fine with having the current three-step process (press the volume rocker, click the down arrow, then click the bell).

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Na, I'm fine with having the current three-step process (press the volume rocker, click the down arrow, then click the bell).

I certainly wouldn't advocate taking that away, but if the purpose of the quick actions is to take common setting changes and give you basically 1 tap access to them then it makes sense to at least have that in there as an option since it's probably something that gets done pretty frequently.

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I tried airplane mode yesterday as suggested, and yeah - that turned off everything completely, including phone service. =) Maybe a little more than I needed. I prefer something more like what S640 was saying - a single tap to make everything vibrate only.

Best case scenario for me would be if "announce texts" was configurable by quiet hours though. I want the emergency calls to come through, just not the texts. Oh well, no big deal. It's pretty awesome already.

Might be a nice thing too... "Cortana, when I get to work, set my phone on vibrate"... or even better if she just did it for me! =)

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay ... I was just misunderstanding what the settings meant. The text still comes through and increments the counter on the app, just doesn't make any noise. That is exactly what I wanted to have happen. I thought it disabled texts completely. :amaze:

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay ... I was just misunderstanding what the settings meant. The text still comes through and increments the counter on the app, just doesn't make any noise. That is exactly what I wanted to have happen. I thought it disabled texts completely. :amaze:

It even sends an auto reply with your nickname. This friend of mine, she thought some girl was texting her back from my phone. She thought this girl answering with my phone had an attitude. I told her, she'd better back off because Cortana and I are in a long term relationship. :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It even sends an auto reply with your nickname. This friend of mine, she thought some girl was texting her back from my phone. She thought this girl answering with my phone had an attitude. I told her, she'd better back off because Cortana and I are in a long term relationship. :)
Hahaha, we do need some option to customise the response based on the time and person sending the message that would be sweet.. I have friends who work night shifts and more than often they like to send prank texts (Like constantly spamming empty text messages..) and make prank calls to help pass the time - they call, leave the phone on and just chatter away. I am very very light sleeper, any sort of noise wakes me up heck even electrical noise keeps me awake. Thanks to quiet hours, they haven't been able to pester me.. but would like to send them a personalised message like "Look you mug, you pester me again with prank messages you will be slapped into hysteria with a fish!". as opposed to the general reply if they start up again lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon