What else do you want Cortana to help you with?

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
We've seen Microsoft's Cortana, the personal assistant loaded on Windows Phone 8.1, but aside from capabilities available today, what else would you like Cortana to do? Would you like her to turn on your TV remotely, or perhaps you'd like her to automatically start up your Windows 8 PC as you step inside the front door? Share with us your ideas.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Push back reminder times with voice commands. This seems like such a simple thing it should already be possible - or I just might not be saying it right if it's already possible.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it'd be really awesome if Cortana could do something like a start screen background slideshow by giving it pictures and a set time interval or other command (such as "each time I go to the start screen, use a new background based on a series of pictures").

Promotional edit:
Plus a Jarvis alternative would be cool ;)

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd like it if I was able to turn the lights on in any room in my house through an interactive map of each floor - but that's probably something that'll happen way in the future since there'd need to be something also done with the house's light switches.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would like Cortana to help me when behind the wheel.
Be nice to have her point out tailgaters, light runners, speeders or any other potential dangerous in traffic situation.

I have a few other wants dealing with personal security.
Don't want to get into the big brother thing however.

anseld1986

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I want Cortana to allow for customized automation rules - things like:
- Turn off my security pin-code when I am at home;
- Do not activate Quiet Hours if I am not at home;
- Turn on my rewards card app and open to that particular rewards card whenever I arrive at my grocery store;
- Open driving mode and start my GPS app when I get in the car and connect to my bluetooth;
- Turn off my pin-code when I am driving so I don't have to actually type on the phone to unlock it;
- Set certain brightness settings when I have a game or my Kindle app open and active;
- Silence my phone when I have a movie event listed on my calendar and I am located at that theater's GPS coordinates.
- Silence my phone and auto-respond to phone calls with an away message when I am at the office and have a calendar event titled "Client Meeting."

duk3togo

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice for Cortana to help you with a recipe one step at a time. Being able to repeat, go next step or go back to previous step.

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I want Cortana to allow for customized automation rules - things like:
- Turn off my security pin-code when I am at home;
- Do not activate Quiet Hours if I am not at home;
- Turn on my rewards card app and open to that particular rewards card whenever I arrive at my grocery store;
- Open driving mode and start my GPS app when I get in the car and connect to my bluetooth;
- Turn off my pin-code when I am driving so I don't have to actually type on the phone to unlock it;
- Set certain brightness settings when I have a game or my Kindle app open and active;
- Silence my phone when I have a movie event listed on my calendar and I am located at that theater's GPS coordinates.
- Silence my phone and auto-respond to phone calls with an away message when I am at the office and have a calendar event titled "Client Meeting."

This is exactly the type of stuff I desperately want to see -- and I want it yesterday. Thanks anseld1986

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I think the "remind me" section of Cortana's notebook should have a to-do list that doesn't require a time, date, or contact and could take to-dos from the calendar app. I keep setting reminders expecting this to be there because it seems (to me, at least) like an obvious feature that Cortana should have. For example, if someone is in college and they want to set a reminder for work to be done later, there might not be a specific time, place (dorm or library, for example), or person (study group, alone) that the reminder could be associated with.

Edit:
Uservoice post to go with the idea:
To-Do Reminders Independent of Time, Place, or Contact

Last edited:

Fernando Chapa

May 14, 2014
Visit site
We would like to ask "Cortana, how many calories are in a Cheeseburger" (Siri does this). If the GPS indicates that we are near a particular restaurant (e.g., McDondalds), then it should tell us the calories that are specific to that restaurant (e.g., calories in a McDonalds Cheeseburger)... (Siri does not do this).

Fernando Chapa

May 14, 2014
Visit site
We would like Cortana to remind us to leave at a certain time in order to arrive at an appointment on time. For example, Cortana would see that from my current location, it will take me 35 minutes to get to my Appointment location. About 35 minutes before my appointment, Cortana will say, "You better get going if you're going to make your next appointment with..." (Siri does not do this).

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
We would like Cortana to remind us to leave at a certain time in order to arrive at an appointment on time. For example, Cortana would see that from my current location, it will take me 35 minutes to get to my Appointment location. About 35 minutes before my appointment, Cortana will say, "You better get going if you're going to make your next appointment with..." (Siri does not do this).

That seems like a perfect feature for HERE Drive to incorporate with Cortana.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^Cortana already does all that except for location aware calorie. honestly it isn't that big of a deal since you can always add "restaurant name" into the search and it'll pull it up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss