What else do you want Cortana to help you with?

Techinsane

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Update me when I run out of food in the house
Start my car and come and pick me up
Inform me when the movies that I like a showing in the cinema
Inform me when Wolverine dies again in the comic books.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
instead of features I say they focus on perfecting voice recognition in noisy environments such as the outdoors and in cars.
I hate it when simple commands such as "call home" or "go home" gets misinterpreted

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
instead of features I say they focus on perfecting voice recognition in noisy environments such as the outdoors and in cars.
I hate it when simple commands such as "call home" or "go home" gets misinterpreted

That happens to me all the time when I try to show off how awesome Cortana is to other people and they talk after I give a command but the phone it's still listening/processing the command.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^right? and then Cortana goes haywire and it's frustrating.
also, sometimes it gets the command right but then errors out...

chuey101

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I think this could be a killer function for biz but the ability to set a conf call mtg with proper invites as the organizer. As a participant, the ability to hands free dial into a conf call number that is included in the invite and subsequent participant code! Then she would truly be a personal assistant!

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I wish they'd put back the Bing Vision (QR code scanner etc.) icon on Cortana's start page. Right next to the listen icon, just where it should be (where it is on the Bing page if Cortana isn't present). To me, the single biggest annoyance about Cortana.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
There should be a command where you can ask Cortana to read what apps have notifications for you, then you can ask her to go through the notifications for that app. For example:

"Read app notifications" Then she tells you that you have 2 notifications for Messenger, 3 for 6snap. Then you say "Read Messenger notifications" and she reads the messages you have.

If this is already possible please tell me what the commands are :D

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Would be handy for me if Cortana could interact with PDF documents, like search for then read out passages.
I have a lot of equipment service manual's on my phone for work, it would be nice if I could ask Cortana to open a certain manual & then search for a particular error code or parameter in that manual.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
When Cortana shows a listing of items on the screen, such as Top Stories, each one should have a rating or thumbs up/down button so I can tell Cortana I want more of that or less of that. I'd like news sources to work that way also. Or I could verbally tell Cortana that I want more of Kitten Digest and less of Dog News.

Also "go to John Smith's house" where John Smith is in my contacts. If one of my contacts has an unusual name such as Bilbo, it should recognize the name in my contacts before it tries to correct the name to something else. I thought Cortana was supposed to do these things but it doesn't seem to work.

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I want Cortana to allow for customized automation rules - things like:
- Turn off my security pin-code when I am at home;
- Do not activate Quiet Hours if I am not at home;
- Turn on my rewards card app and open to that particular rewards card whenever I arrive at my grocery store;
- Open driving mode and start my GPS app when I get in the car and connect to my bluetooth;
- Turn off my pin-code when I am driving so I don't have to actually type on the phone to unlock it;
- Set certain brightness settings when I have a game or my Kindle app open and active;
- Silence my phone when I have a movie event listed on my calendar and I am located at that theater's GPS coordinates.
- Silence my phone and auto-respond to phone calls with an away message when I am at the office and have a calendar event titled "Client Meeting."

THIS but a little differently will make Cortana the best of the best. My idea was a little more on the easy side to make. You give cortana 2 commands : "When I get to school" - "Turn on wifi"
"When I arrive at home" - "Text my wife open the door pls!"
"When I arrive at home" - "Open up Bing News"

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
You can have WIFI turn on based on location. Just add home to your favourite places list and next time you turn off wifi change the reactivation options to "near my favourite places" :)

I'd really like it to turn off when I leave my favourite places too, though!

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Right now Cortana can do reminders based on location arrival/departure.

I'd like to see the Cortana perform actions based on a series of conditions in addition to arrival and departure at favorite locations including any or all of the following:
-my location is x
-day of week = x, y or z
-current time is between x and y
current date is between x and y
-high or low temperature is between x and y at present location
-chance of precipitation is greater or less than x
-remaining battery is greater or less than x
-events that I have programmed are starting in x hours/min
-bluetooth device x is connected

barbaram

May 15, 2013
Visit site
She needs to be able to open her own notes!! So Cortana, take a note: the living room. Cortana open the living room. Add, the room is 8 x 10. later, cortana open Living room. Add Rug at Macy's is 6x 8 and $300.00

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
A few things I tried to ask Cortana this weekend which she can't do yet:

Cortana please take me to the next Starbucks (or gas or hospital) along the route I am driving.
Cortana please point toward the Big Dipper (or Mt. Baker or my friend's phone or east or the nearest subway station).
Cortana, what kind of plant likes partial shade, is 2-3 feet tall, blooms in summer, and is avoided by rabbits and slugs (in my climate zone)?
Cortana, how many teams have won the Super Bowl 2 years in a row with a quarterback named "Russell"?
Cortana, please get me tickets to the next Husky Volleyball game (she looks it up, makes sure my calendar is clear that evening, knows what kind of seats I want, gives me the details, and asks me to confirm before purchasing).
Cortana, where can I find this toaster cheaper (where I point camera at the UPC barcode and she knows where I'm shopping now)?
Cortana, can you get me on the waiting list at Cactus?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Read and take SMS, facebook messages, tweets, emails and WHATSAPP using the voice... while driving.

Do you mean you'd like to be able to *activate* Cortana using your voice, the way you can start Google Now on the Moto X just by saying "Okay Google.."? That would be great. It is hardware dependent, though.

Beyond the activation part, you can certainly send SMS using Cortana, and have texts read aloud to you- though this only happens if you have a headset or Bluetooth device connected. Perhaps what you'd like is a context-aware driving mode.

I'm a little puzzled that email doesn't work. I've forgotten a few times already and asked Cortana to send an email for me. Cortana can create a Tweet for you, and Facebook integration is coming. As more apps integrate with Cortana we'll see a lot of requests on this list satisfied.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Once the geofencing range tightens up, home and work based actions are going to explode...

This may be a dumb question, but is there a widely available Windows-compatible alternative to Apple's Bluetooth LE-based iBeacon? That seems like it would greatly enhance all kinds of location-based events since you could have a bluetooth tag at your house, your office, your car, etc. Actions would be much faster and more precise. From a battery standpoint I don't know what the trade-off would be, but you might need fewer GPS pings.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy to see the enthusiasm and creativity in this thread, but let's remember Cortana is billed as your personal assistant. You are not getting Satya Nadella's personal assistant, or the President's personal assistant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss