Why can't Cortana do this?

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Why can't they make Cortana be able to do do 2 phrases such as "When I get home, turn on the wifi"
When I get home (Cortana will now silently wait until you get home, just like it does for the "remind me")
Once you get home, cortana sees it on the GPS and turns on the Wifi

Everything about this seems easy to make, such as sentence recognition, and getting the phone to actually do the easy tasks such as "turn on wifi, turn off wifi"

Here's another example...

"When I get home, pause music"

And as it gets more advanced, we can do statements like...

"When I get home, message Jack hello"

So am I delusional? Is it harder to make than I think? What's stopping this from being created? Because this would give any voice assistant a big lead.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Why can't they make Cortana be able to do do 2 phrases such as "When I get home, turn on the wifi"
When I get home (Cortana will now silently wait until you get home, just like it does for the "remind me")
Once you get home, cortana sees it on the GPS and turns on the Wifi

Everything about this seems easy to make, such as sentence recognition, and getting the phone to actually do the easy tasks such as "turn on wifi, turn off wifi"

Here's another example...

"When I get home, pause music"

And as it gets more advanced, we can do statements like...

"When I get home, message Jack hello"

So am I delusional? Is it harder to make than I think? What's stopping this from being created? Because this would give any voice assistant a big lead.

Remember, it is still in beta testing. Only the dev previewers get to see Cortana right now. They might add it in as it goes into a full release.

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have had that same question, and have a million uses for it:
  • When I get to work, turn off the volume.
  • When I leave work, text my wife, "I'm leaving work now"
  • When I leave home, disable wifi.

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it really does seem like a good idea...Especially since cortana is half way there! (With the remind me feature)
It really adds to the "assistant" part of cortana with such a feature that no other assistants have.

RobEllis

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
When you turn off WiFi, you have the option of 'turn on again when near favourite places'. I have home as a favourite place, and this feature works great.

It would be handy if you could tell it which favourite places you want WiFi on (e.g probably home, but not the supermarket).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo