Talking to Cortana Etiquette/Expectations

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I was surprised to not find a forum discussion on talking to one's phone. So I'm trying to start one. Are you comfortable talking to Cortana in the company of others? First, you have to be fairly confident that Cortana is going to understand and answer you properly. Then, you have to expect that people aren?t going to roll their eyes at you. Have you gotten beyond this? I haven't...Thanks for your thoughts.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I rarely talk to my phone even in private. I prefer typing.

I don't even talk on the phone in public, so I'm not going to talk to my phone in public.

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I talk to Cortana in public mostly when trying to do a demonstration. The command that wows people and catches them off guard is "Sing me a song". They are amazed that "the phone sings a song!".

I also have conversations with Cortana about setting specific reminders while in public and people laugh when she gets it wrong. Just yesterday, a lady said "See, Siri isn't as smart as she thinks she is!". Yes, the lady said Siri. We need Microsoft to have a marketing blitz about Cortana when Windows Phone 8.1 is officially released in more regions.

I talk to Cortana every time I get in my car by saying "Play Better Days" and she says "And now, Better Days". My favorite song through my car without even opening a music app. Love it!

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
When I was a skinny 24 year-old, I bought a shiny, new, heavy (1000cc) motorbike. It was 6 months before I felt confident enough to throw it up onto the center stand in front a caf? full of bikers. Heaven forbid I be thought a poseur. My Cortana use is analogous. I'm trying it out without an audience and hoping it makes its way into my regular processes.

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have much of an issue with it but, I am a long-time Bluetooth headset user (I cannot imagine actually holding a phone to my ears after ten years of BT headset use). I kind of like the fact that Cortana is (slightly) more conversational. I just feel that it is safer if I am walking through an airport or train station, to say: "Cortana, remind me to ask Susan about her new house" than it is to look at the screen and type that in.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it is important to be mindful of those around you. I own a bakery/cafe and the last thing I want to see is a cafe full of posers who annoy those who there to enjoy the atmosphere. Must we make rules to prevent every conceivable annoyance, or could people just figure out from their own common sense and empathy how not to disturb the person next to them?

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I talk to myself quite a bit so I don't think anybody who knows me even bats an eye. Amongst the masses it can't be any worse than those who scream at their significant other on the phone :p

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't mind talking to Cortana in public. I don't care what others think, it's a feature available for my phone and it doesn't hurt anyone so I see no problem with that. And besides, the look on their faces when Cortana responds to what I say is absolutely priceless.

The only reason for me not to talk to Cortana is when the area is so noisy.

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's a piece on how MS gave Cortana "personality" as a way to get users comfortable talking to their phone: Engadget - Cortana Microsoft Windows They also talk about getting it (I'm not ready to go with "her".) to learn. I'd like to teach it that my kettle takes 6 minutes to boil. So I can say, "I just started boiling my kettle. Remind me when it boils."

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd only talk to Cortana in public if she consistently understood what I was saying. No better way to look like the biggest moron in the world than by constantly repeating phrases into your phone only for Cortana to completely misinterpret you.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I talk to Cortana with my earphones in when I'm in public.......the potential for embarrassment is less likely that way because only you can hear the responses....its a bit like have a private phone conversation

Gorasnega

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that Cortana is ready to handle that request. But you could say to her "Set an alarm for 6 six mintues" just after you've put the kettle on the stove. Or get a kettle that whistles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb