Cortana having problems with music recognition

Tonchi91

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to force Cortana to recognize the music. First, I have to say that I don't have music icon in the upper right corner. Second, when I say "What's playing right now?" she started to listen but I always get the next message: "I can't get to the internet right now. Make sure you're connected, then try again.". Since I am always connected on the internet, I don't believe there is a problem with internet. Anyone know how to fix this?

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Tonchi91,

Let's figure out what's going on here. First, I'll need some additional info from you.

1) What region and language are your phone? You can find out by going to settings->language, and settings->region.

2) What OS version are you on? If you go to Settings->About->More info, it'll tell you the OS version (something like 8.10.12382.878)

3) What region is your xbox music account? If you open the Music app, then tap the ... at the bottom of the screen, click 'settings', tap on 'Xbox Music account settings', it'll open a new website (live.xbox.com/en-us/Account), scroll to the bottom of the page, it should say a country in the bottom left, what is it? (or, when you open the url, what country code does it say after live.xbox.com?)

Thanks!

rizzo183

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's actually BECAUSE you don't have the music icon showing in cortana's menu. It means you're not supposed to be able to access this service. Reason? Something, somewhere (if not everything) says you're not from US (or any country that supports all services).

I didn't have the music icon at first either. My phone is already set to "US" and so is my MS account and everything else associated with my phone. I changed my 'XBOX music' account info, and set region to US. The icon showed up and now Cortana can find my songs without any trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss