Activate Cortana Hands Free

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I think it's only activated when the iPhone is plugged in, but the feature is half-baked and not totally hands free like the Moto X. Microsoft could easily add this feature on WP.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
It will not only require software update but hardware update too. If they ever make this your current phone may not support it with the exception of the newest Lumias I think. But it's nice to have for sure.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Apple already implemented that on their current phones with IOS8 beta. The only time it works, it is when the phone is plugged in and charging...that's why that it doesn't affect the battery or need any new specs...etc.

So for example, for people that has a car charger setup with a cradle, or using the Nokia charger, then when we would be in the car and the phone is charging, only at that point Cortana would listen. So while driving, no need to press any button at all...just say Hey Cortana....etc.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I really think Microsoft should focus on stabilising their OS right now. Even though I know it's a developer preview, it has a few bugs that annoys me everyday though. So this features should wait. Quality over Quantity

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that the reason the iphone needs to be plugged in for this feature to work is because its a huge drain on battery life. A statement was made along the lines that the phone would die within a couple of hours if it wasn't plugged in and the feature was turned on.

So what's happening in the internals of an android phone that stops the device from draining rapidly?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I really think Microsoft should focus on stabilising their OS right now. Even though I know it's a developer preview, it has a few bugs that annoys me everyday though. So this features should wait. Quality over Quantity

Think of it like running windows 7 with XP drivers. We have no idea how stable wp8.1 is because we are running it on phones with firmware designed for wp8. Too soon to judge. Once we get Nokia cyan and the equivalent for HTC ECT. Then we will be able to distinguish stability and bugs being from the os or outdated drivers until then any judgement is premature.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I do agree with the motto though, and I have faith windows has that focus. Otherwise they would be caught up with android and IOS but would nit run so smooth on old tech.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I read somewhere that the reason the iphone needs to be plugged in for this feature to work is because its a huge drain on battery life. A statement was made along the lines that the phone would die within a couple of hours if it wasn't plugged in and the feature was turned on.

So what's happening in the internals of an android phone that stops the device from draining rapidly?

It's not as severe as you think. Maybe like a 5-10% additional drain on the battery. But that is too much drain for Apple or Microsoft to want to implement it fully. The reason the Moto X does it is because it has an extra low-power processor which is dedicated to the voice feature. So instead of a 5-10% drain, it may only cause a 1-2% drain, which is almost nothing. And just fyi, that is the only Google phone that does it. Nexus, Galaxy, HTC, LG, etc... don't have that feature at all.

That being said, on a charger seems like an easy way to implement on any phone, i'd like to see this for older WP devices. Using while in bed would be awesome!

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Cortana isn't available for everyone. It's only available for US now.
It will take nearly 2 years just to make available for every country and here you guys are talking about hand free features.

Isn't this too early to ask this.
It's like a child who is just learning alphabets is asked to write a novel.:amaze:

Anyway Google Now and Siri are years ahead from Cortana. They are available in every country.
Cortana is just limited within the boundaries of USA.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I hear people complaining that Google has patent for voice activation. But Microsoft can use its Kinect patent to for WP to voice activate Cortana.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786