Compatable stereo for Cortana?

Brian Gobrecht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
id like to know what stereos are compatible with Cortana to read texts. I tried an alpine without the xm radio from best buy but didn't read the texts when it says it "advanced Bluetooth". just wondering if any decent stereos out there that do really work

Last edited by a moderator:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: compatable stereo for cortana

How did you "try" it?

1. You don't need Cortana to have SMS read *when they arrive* as TellMe will also do it for you.
2. Pairing the phone is the only thing you need to do.

I use my HTC 8S on both my cars, one with stock headunit, one with Alpine CDA-9886 with bluetooth and iPod modules, and works nicely.

Brian Gobrecht

May 20, 2013
Visit site

sorry to burst your bubble but im guessing that some car stereos dont work. for instance CDE-143BT didn't work when i received a text. the phone would ring but nothing over the stereo allowed me to read nor reply. so just pairing does not work on the one i got. it might have worked on yours though. but i appreciate your input and ill try and look for that one but id like to know a few more stereos and get the prices

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Firstly, you're not bursting any bubble, I am not inside one. I have not exhausted all headunits, but I have not paired one that doesn't work. Pioneer, Alpine, Fujitsu Ten, Kenwood, JVC.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If they have BT for phones, your texts will be read. I have tried several BT units in cars, as well as regular BT speakers and they all work the same. Is your phone set to driving mode? In that case they won't be read. There's something else going on rather than incompatible units, I'm pretty sure.

Edit: I realize now that all the units as well as the external speakers I've used have also had microphones, for two way communication. Could that be it, maybe? Did the units you tried have th as well? I assume they did though.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Or test with a Bluetooth headset first...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Gobrecht

May 20, 2013
Visit site

It works find on my Motorola headset and on my Jays headphones I got from Microsoft store. So I don't get why it didn't work when I connected it.

So what everyone is saying is that all stereos with Bluetooth work with the phone. May have to test it at the store and make sure it works right before just buying one this time.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

Works on my stock stereo, and on anything I've synched to. The car stereo needs to properly support the handset codec the phone uses, but there's nothing special for Windows Phone. The big thing you want that gets overlooked is a way for the stereo to send a "use voice control" command to the phone so you can trigger Cortana while driving.

You can totally test it out in stores, just have a friend handy to text you.

Oh, on some stereos you need to go through a specific menu to pair for Phone usage, and another for streaming audio. My stocker is like that, so it's something to look out for.

Oh yea, and then there's the obvious. Make sure it's set to read texts out loud when connected to bluetooth.

Last edited:

Brian Gobrecht

May 20, 2013
Visit site

lol yeah on reading text ill have to bring my girlfriend with me and test some. i prefer alpine but will go to kenwood if needed. i dont see a need to spend over 200 on a stereo that ill only use to play music and audio books on cd and make phone calls and read texts. i use my phone for maps. i dont trust sony, koss, or boss as much. had them fail multiple times in the past and stereos glitching out when in heat. but will experiment at local stores

Brian Gobrecht

May 20, 2013
Visit site

i want to get a stereo with bluetooth. i find the external ones your speaking of needing batteries more often than not dont want to go through that hassle my dad is going through,

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It works fine with my wife's Uconnect. The car is a 2008 Dodge Avenger. Caught me by surprise the first time if offered to read me a text message. And it even asks if you want to reply! But, it doesn't seem to support using voice commands to trigger events. That may be due to me using a Titan II with 7.8--not a deal breaker in my book.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa