Is Cortana's personality/humor too smart? too esoteric? for the general public

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that nearly all of Cortana's jokes are way over my daughter's head. Granted, she's not even 6 yet, but more generally, it occurred to me that much of Cortana's humor is pretty nerdy/geeky/esoteric. This is great for us beta testers who likely have similar humor and knowledge, but I wonder how this will play for a more general audience-- one that doesn't know who Master Chief is, wouldn't get a joke about crows with a punchline involving "murder", nor understand the cultural and technological relevance of "Daisy, daisy give me your answer do...".

When you've shown off Cortana to others, have you found yourself having to explain her humor?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that nearly all of Cortana's jokes are way over my daughter's head. Granted, she's not even 6 yet, but more generally, it occurred to me that much of Cortana's humor is pretty nerdy/geeky/esoteric. This is great for us beta testers who likely have similar humor and knowledge, but I wonder how this will play for a more general audience-- one that doesn't know who Master Chief is, wouldn't get a joke about crows with a punchline involving "murder", nor understand the cultural and technological relevance of "Daisy, daisy give me your answer do...".

When you've shown off Cortana to others, have you found yourself having to explain her humor?

I'm actually glad to have something that isn't dumbed down to Hollywood standards. But yeah, I see your point.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty tech savvy and I don't get the daisy joke.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember a daisy joke. If you ask her to sing you a song, she might sing "Daisy, Daisy give me your answer, do"

The song achieved fame in IT circles because:

In 1961 an IBM 704 became the first computer to sing, in a demonstration of Bell Labs' newly invented speech synthesis – and the song was "Daisy Bell".[3]

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember a daisy joke. If you ask her to sing you a song, she might sing "Daisy, Daisy give me your answer, do"

The song achieved fame in IT circles because:

In 1961 an IBM 704 became the first computer to sing, in a demonstration of Bell Labs' newly invented speech synthesis – and the song was "Daisy Bell".[3]

Also worth noting that HAL 9000 sings it in 2001, as engineermoore points out, while its being powered down.
In Robots, a main character sings "Daisy...Daisy" when asked if he's ok (hint: he wasn't at that moment)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Also worth noting that HAL 9000 sings it in 2001, as engineermoore points out, while its being powered down.
In Robots, a main character sings "Daisy...Daisy" when asked if he's ok (hint: he wasn't at that moment)

Yes. These films may be where most of us know it from, but why do you think these Sci-Fi flicks use it in the first place? It all goes back to this being the first song ever to be sung by a synthesized voice... back in 1961. :smile:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes. These films may be where most of us know it from, but why do you think these Sci-Fi flicks use it in the first place? It all goes back to this being the first song ever to be sung by a synthesized voice... back in 1961. :smile:

I just looked up "2001: A Space Odyssey". I was surprised it was a 1968 film. I thought it was older than that.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I think this is awesome actually. My friend was over the other day and he asked Siri to tell him a joke and she just said "oh you wouldn't understand it".. Something to that degree.. Plus some of her jokes are funny in a corny kind of way that people will find funny. I mean Cortana doesn't really need to be the next Jenna marbles.

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I think this is awesome actually. My friend was over the other day and he asked Siri to tell him a joke and she just said "oh you wouldn't understand it".. Something to that degree.. Plus some of her jokes are funny in a corny kind of way that people will find funny. I mean Cortana doesn't really need to be the next Jenna marbles.

Cortana times me a joke about hipsters that made me bust out laughing. It was actually sorry hilarious. I'll take that over safe garbage any day.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just looked up "2001: A Space Odyssey". I was surprised it was a 1968 film. I thought it was older than that.

I had no idea when it was released, but based on the special effects I would have guessed it was younger. lol. Luckily, we aren't film historians ;-)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I would never get any Halo jokes, as I never played one single Halo game.

But I can't have Cortana anyway (I can't switch language of my 8X to US English, even after a hardreset), but if it will ever be released in German speaking countries, I'll report on her German jokes.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
But would they even ask questions to get those type of answers?

Well, I think if someone is demo-ing it to them, such as a salesperson or someone showing it to their friend or mom, telling a joke is a nice way of showing off the technology. If the joke goes over the potential buyer's head, then it isn't very effective.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I knew about the 2001 connection to the song "Daisy Bell", but didn't realize the more historical significance until I looked it up on Wikipedia. I do think that the Cortana writing team is doing a very clever job, and I love trying to find new chit-chat bits. I just hope that by the time its fully live, there are some jokes that might have more broad appeal.

On a side note, thinking about the writing for Cortana, I remembered back to the alternate reality "game" that Microsoft did related to the release of the movie "AI". The Beast (game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I followed along with that, and it was one of the most clever, complex things I've ever seen, to this day. Bring that team back to write for Cortana! (Being an AI, after all :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I knew about the 2001 connection to the song "Daisy Bell", but didn't realize the more historical significance until I looked it up on Wikipedia. I do think that the Cortana writing team is doing a very clever job, and I love trying to find new chit-chat bits. I just hope that by the time its fully live, there are some jokes that might have more broad appeal.

On a side note, thinking about the writing for Cortana, I remembered back to the alternate reality "game" that Microsoft did related to the release of the movie "AI". The Beast (game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I followed along with that, and it was one of the most clever, complex things I've ever seen, to this day. Bring that team back to write for Cortana! (Being an AI, after all :)

I once worked at an IBM facility. That is the only reason I knew about it. I had to look up the date on Wikipedia too though. In this particular case, it's not really a big deal. That she sings a song is cool, and if you get the hidden references, it's just that much cooler.

As far as the jokes are concerned, I'm not really sure. I want an AI to seem smart. I think it would really bother me if Cortana started telling the types of jokes my buddies crack after having had one too many beers. That just wouldn't be Cortana. I'm conflicted ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers