The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    [deleted]
    Last edited by Joe920; 02-07-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    06-12-2014 08:10 AM
    Yes developers have to use cortana API in apps (optional ). Rudy Hyun implemented in his Wikipedia app.
    Joe920 likes this.
    06-12-2014 09:35 AM
    Very cool! That will be a huge improvement. I'll check out the wiki app again, thanks for the tip!
    Here is that article Wikipedia picks up support for Cortana, while Xbox One SmartGlass gets bug fixes | Windows Phone Central
    06-12-2014 09:44 AM
    Actually that article only mentions that the wiki app can use Cortana for text input (speech-to-text). What I was asking is if apps can use the Cortana voice to read to US (text to speech, TTS). Is that also possible?
    06-12-2014 09:49 AM
    Actually that article only mentions that the wiki app can use Cortana for text input (speech-to-text). What I was asking is if apps can use the Cortana voice to read to US (text to speech, TTS). Is that also possible?
    Not sure but I hope developers will soon develop some nice apps once windows phone 8.1 is widely available.
    Joe920 likes this.
    06-12-2014 09:55 AM
    Not sure but I hope developers will soon develop some nice apps once windows phone 8.1 is widely available.
    Well duh! :) Does anyone else happen to know of the WP8.1 enables using text-to-speech conversion in Cortana's voice?
    06-12-2014 09:59 AM
    Well duh! :) Does anyone else happen to know of the WP8.1 enables using text-to-speech conversion in Cortana's voice?
    I found this on the internet Building Text To Speech Applications using Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana Overview
    "Cortana, show me how I can add you to my app's..." | Coding4Fun Blog | Channel 9
    Joe920 likes this.
    06-12-2014 10:13 AM
    Hi Joe, hi all.
    Here is Tobi from Poki.

I am currently developing the next major version of Poki with improved TTS support.
    Sadly it is not possible to use Cortanas voice at the moment, and I don't think this will change as the SDK for WP8.1 is done already.

The available voices for en-US are Zira and Mark, who you already know and hate from Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.
    But at least they sound better than Microsoft Sam ;-)

I've tested this with a en-US Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 (with Cortana enabled).
    Himanshu Chowdhary and Joe920 like this.
    06-12-2014 10:24 AM
    Hi Tobi, thanks for commenting here! Could you look at the links that Himanshu shared? They seem to indicate that there is a way to do this, but since I'm not a coder I might be overlooking something / everything.
    Yes, did that already. And no, there is no way.
    The article title of both the channel9 link and the dotnetcurry are somehow misleading.
    It should be read like this:
    1. Building Text To Speech Applications using Windows Phone 8.1
    2. and (now a completely different topic)
    3. Cortana Overview
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    06-12-2014 10:31 AM
    Hi Joe, hi all.
    Here is Tobi from Poki.

I am currently developing the next major version of Poki with improved TTS support.
    Sadly it is not possible to use Cortanas voice at the moment, and I don't think this will change as the SDK for WP8.1 is done already.

The available voices for en-US are Zira and Mark, who you already know and hate from Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.
    But at least they sound better than Microsoft Sam ;-)

I've tested this with a en-US Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 (with Cortana enabled).
    Bummer. I love the voice of cortana. Hope they add some options for developers in next edition of windows phone iteration /SDK. I am not a developer (though I know some basic c,c++ old Borland compiler lol )
    06-12-2014 10:36 AM
    I'm sure the dev is too polite for self-promotion, so allow me: If you use Pocket and haven't tried Poki yet, it's worth a look:
    Poki | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Poki is a stunning, feature packed Pocket app for Windows Phone that you need | Windows Phone Central
    06-12-2014 11:09 AM