06-15-2014 11:20 PM
65 123
tools
    What you've said Microsoft should do is what they ARE doing. They're only THINKING of iPhone and Android versions of Cortana should Windows Phone not take off. Thinking. Not doing.
    That is not what was stated at all. They are asking the questions, "how do we make the Cortana experience on windows/xbox as great as possible so that we can pull more existing customers to become MS smartphone/MS tablet/windows/xbox users? And how do we make that Cortana experience on windows/xbox as good as possible without pulling smartphone info from xbox or windows/non WP user?"
    b23h likes this.
    06-15-2014 04:24 PM
    You can make that claim 500 times, but that still wouldn't make it true the 501st time you repeated it.
    You don't have to believe it if you choose not to, but Cortana on iOS and Android would be the Windows Phone death sentence.
    06-15-2014 04:24 PM
    Like Seinfeld, this is about nothing.
    Reflexx likes this.
    06-15-2014 04:28 PM
    The only way Windows Phone will ever see growth is to get more apps over on to the platform at the same exact time they come out on iOS and Android, not months later after the other two have moved on the next trending app/game. The only way they can accomplish this of course is to increase the number of Windows Phone users so the app developers see WP's market as worthwhile as iOS and Android. The only way users will come to WP is if WP continues to be a unique alternative, and with each feature they surrender the less reasons any iOS or Android user has to switch to WP.
    06-15-2014 04:32 PM
    Make no mistake Microsoft as an enter entity is not in any sort of trouble, so far Nadella has been a good CEO because he's maintained and increased revenue & profits and increased the MSFT share price on NASDAQ. In this sense he's great for Microsoft, however his clouds and services philosophy sometimes are at odds with Microsoft hardware. My only fear with Nadella is that he could care less about MSFT hardware so long as his cloud strategy is working and that he'd axe any hardware that he felt didn't fit in with his philosophy.
    You and a bunch of others on these forums leaped to a conclusion that was completely baseless. There was nothing whatsoever in the communications from MS that would indicate that windows phone is any nearer to being abandoned than it was previously.

The reality is that the market share that windows phone has probably isn't sustainable at the current level. I think they know they need to triple it to make it viable long term. I haven't seen one speck of information that would indicate to me that MS is trying to do anything but increase their windows phone market share to a level that is sustainable.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    Bringen disturbance in your community is definitely a bad thing, true that, but we, the community shouldn't be hating msft. You need to have a little trust in a company this big and maybe this was their way of trying to find out what the community thinks about it (this isn't really a professional way). But the idea isn't really a bad one, bringing full cortana to windows 8 and a more limited one to ios/android. I agree with you guys that they still should make wp8 the main priority but wp isn't making the calls in mobile world so to make their services more attractive things like this need to happen. The attractiveness off other stuf needs to be sacrificed for some matters. And msft weighing to sacrifice this attractiveness for wp isn't really that weird.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    You and a bunch of others on these forums leaped to a conclusion that was completely baseless. There was nothing whatsoever in the communications from MS that would indicate that windows phone is any nearer to being abandoned than it was previously.

The reality is that the market share that windows phone has probably isn't sustainable at the current level. I think they know they need to triple it to make it viable long term. I haven't seen one speck of information that would indicate to me that MS is trying to do anything but increase their windows phone market share to a level that is sustainable.
    No I am not saying MSFT is abandoning Windows Phone or giving up hope. I am saying that the strategy to give away Cortana to their much stronger smartphone OS market competition is inadvertent suicide for their platform as Cortana has all the potential to be an exclusive selling point for WP and the MSFT ecosystem. If they surrender this feature to the competition then selling people on the idea of Windows Phone just got harder.
    06-15-2014 04:37 PM
    You don't have to believe it if you choose not to, but Cortana on iOS and Android would be the Windows Phone death sentence.
    Not true. You are looking at the ground and missing the mountains and the rest of the big picture. Office, excell, and such made windows indispensible for business and greatly helped their platform. They are recognizing that this can and must be done to help the future of windows devices. This obviously worked for google. A great deal of people choose android because they want the most Integrared way to use Google's services. If things such as cortana become widely used and a valuable app that people will prefer it will help WP adoption in the future as people seek to get a better Integrated use and experience with windows apps. They are thinking several years out on this and just because we are consumed with the concerns of the moment with WP does t mean we should bash them for forward thinking. Cortana will remain a best experience app under WP when compared to ios/android but people must start using it to see its appeal.
    06-15-2014 04:41 PM
    I don't understand the uproar over this. Isn't Microsoft first and foremost a software company? And isn't exclusivity Apple's gimmick?

Except now Apple owns Beats. And Beats has licensed their products to multiple platforms and OEMs. Heck, they even have an Android and Windows Phone app!

But really, if people are going to choose a platform, they're not going to make that decision based on a single app. As amazing as Cortana may be, people aren't going to be flocking to Windows Phone over it.

I think this is all just a tempest in a teapot.
    Sent from my Lumia 822 using Tapatalk
    06-15-2014 04:49 PM
    Not true. You are looming at the ground and missing the mountains and the rest of the big picture. Office, excell, and such made windows indispensible for business and greatly helped their platform. They are recognizing that this can and must be done to help the future of windows devices. This obviously worked for google. A great deal of people choose android because they want the most Integrared way to use Google's services. If things such as cortana become widely used and a valuable app that people will prefer it will help WP adoption in the future as people seek to get a better Integrated use and experience with windows apps. They are thinking several years out on this and just because we are consumed with the concerns of the moment with WP does t mean we should bash them for forward thinking. Cortana will remain a best experience app under WP when compared to ios/android but people must start using it to see its appeal.
    This only worked for Google because after Blackberry fell off as a result of the iPhone, Android filled a market share vacuum and became the only viable smartphone alternative to the iPhone. Android offered a wide variety of devices at different price points from various OEMs at a time when no one else was. Microsoft had the opportunity to jump in at the same time but blew it and unfortunately fell behind iOS and Android and watched them become titans of the smartphone industry. This was before MSFT had any indication that the PC market was about to peak and decline. MSFT never threw much of their eggs into the smartphone basket back when they should've because they knew they dominated the PC sector, had they known of the PC decline back in 2006/2007 they likely would've invested more than they did in Windows mobile. MSFT made a massive miscalculation back then and now they're playing catchup, because they're in catchup mode they need to woo users by being unique and better than the iOS/Android experience. They can't be unique if they give away selling points like Cortana, which isn't comparable to Office or Skype but rather more comparable to Apple's Siri & iMessage which are exclusive selling points for the Apple ecosystem.
    06-15-2014 04:55 PM
    I don't understand the uproar over this. Isn't Microsoft first and foremost a software company? And isn't exclusivity Apple's gimmick?

Except now Apple owns Beats. And Beats has licensed their products to multiple platforms and OEMs. Heck, they even have an Android and Windows Phone app!

But really, if people are going to choose a platform, they're not going to make that decision based on a single app. As amazing as Cortana may be, people aren't going to be flocking to Windows Phone over it.

I think this is all just a tempest in a teapot.
    Sent from my Lumia 822 using Tapatalk
    We can't call Apple's strategy a "gimmick" if it's working for them. You realize if Apple made Siri & iMessage available on Android and Windows Phone/Windows 8 it would lose them customers right? Apple keeps so many people by offering them services and features that people grow to love and coincidentally can't find outside of Apple.
    06-15-2014 05:04 PM
    Microsoft is being foolish because they're following the model set by Blackberry (a company now in a tail spin) when they should be following and emulating the successful models set by Apple. When taking cues from competitors you're supposed to emulate the successful ones not the failing ones. Do we see Apple porting Siri or iMessage to Android, Windows Phone and Windows 8?
    That's not what got Blackberry into trouble. It was their slow response to a changing OS and smartphone market. Otherwise, that business model was very successful for them for many years.
    06-15-2014 05:43 PM
    What galls me is the gutting of social networking and Hubs. Those two things right there are what defines Windows Phone as better than the other platforms, together with live tiles. Take away the first two, and the third dies. Without social networking integration, what's the point of live tiles? Me Tile, People, group tiles, all that is now dead. My notifications disappear into the ether now. People has no recent pivot. Hubs were there to make everything integrated. Zune hub - gone, replaced with 4 different apps. Photo Hub - gone, now replaced with a gray, Soviet-style photo picker and two-app launcher.

Windows Phone, in my opinion, as a huge enthusiast who tries to convert everyone to WP, is dying. Without social integration, Hubs, and live tiles, there's no point in having a Windows Phone. It becomes and incredibly frustrating and limited OS that you get just so you don't have Google or iOS, not because it's better, because it truly isn't anymore. There's no differentiating factor now.

Take a look at my Zune Hub concept, then at the separate x-Box Music, x-Box video, podcasts, radio, and synch apps. Which would you rather have?
    06-15-2014 10:44 PM
    MS collects data on usage patterns and not many were using the hubs.Why keep a feature that few get?
    06-15-2014 11:11 PM
    Since this discussion is starting to waver and all who have participated have inserted some valid points it's time to put this thread to bed.
    Thanx everyone!
    06-15-2014 11:20 PM
65 123