Only for those that call WP home: Pimp out Cortana? Let us discuss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
After calming down from the reading the responses to the news about Cortana's future, I have decided that if MS is as serous about personal assistant aka Cortana, it makes sense to unleash it to other platforms (in the future) where not only it would get greater exposure but the amount of information Cortana would be able to gather would be a goldmine to Microsoft's future planning with apps like this feeding into Cortana.

Face it, WP is a scant better than 3 percent of the smart phone market its growing but here is where we are and the reality of it. How do you break the strangle hold if not by being downright "disruptive"? You have to think outside the box to drive sales to Windows Phone. No two ways about it.

There are many challenges ahead.

The good news is, that neither of the other two platforms have been able to successfully accomplish coming up with something close to what Cortana is. We all enjoy having it more than not having it and I bet a dollar to a dozen donuts that many on Android and IOS would pimp Cortana clean out given the opportunity. I'm talking about new ideas, uses, methodology and more importantly, $$financing$$. How would a Cortana enabled smart watch work? Cortana enabled Fitbit or Cortana enabled Internet Explorer for that matter. Lots of possibilities.

What Microsoft will need to do is make sure they take care of home. IOW,WP cannot be the last or super late to get updates, features and bug fixes. It must be a stellar experience on WP without fail. And if MS allows Cortana to flow outside the walls of Redmond with the intention of presenting it in the best possible light, we cannot be looking like National Lampoon Animal House at home. Cortana has to be damn near flawless on WP and I hope this is what Redmond has in mind. So, I think there is a bigger picture for personal assistant Cortana and I think the idea is at least worth exploring.

Last edited:

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
When heard about this news I must admit I also felt that MSFT was making a mistake. But the more I hear positive thoughts from other users on the forums makes me wonder if this a good thing for MSFT.

If indeed this approach brings more financing and a wealth of information to WP and Windows I am all for it.

I am not totally convinced but maybe you are right. At 3% of global market share there is nothing to loose.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Idk about other people but I was more annoyed about the news initially because MS IMO doesn't seem to give WP the attention it needs to strive. I know that we just heard the guy say they are really serious about making Cortana bad *** on Windows phone but honestly I will believe it when I see it at this point. I don't trust corporations at all. No one should. So I am all for Cortana on other platforms but only if they take care of business on WP first.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The problem is Microsoft itself.
Until everyone there is on the same page,nothing truly positive will get better.
They have too many divisions vieing for resources,and too many leaders trying to put their own stamp on how things are done.

If they want integration of Cortana as a PA...then voice to text has to be available in every application that requires the keyboard and voice recognition for every language has to be perfect. A smart search engine is one thing but a PA is much much more than just that.
This is the issue,because just allowing the developers access isn't enough,they have to be mandated to use it.
Cortana could be the ultimate thing that would make folks switch to a Windows platform,but,it is going to take a fundamental shift in Windows leadership to truly make it work 😊

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The problem is Microsoft itself.
Until everyone there is on the same page,nothing truly positive will get better.
They have too many divisions vieing for resources,and too many leaders trying to put their own stamp on how things are done.

If they want integration of Cortana as a PA...then voice to text has to be available in every application that requires the keyboard and voice recognition for every language has to be perfect. A smart search engine is one thing but a PA is much much more than just that.
This is the issue,because just allowing the developers access isn't enough,they have to be mandated to use it.
Cortana could be the ultimate thing that would make folks switch to a Windows platform,but,it is going to take a fundamental shift in Windows leadership to truly make it work 

That argument is not part of this question. This one is attempting to examine the pros of having this personal assistant available on other platforms. To get to the essence of your point though, those that want to use this personal assistant, which I contend are a large number, will need to use it as it is like any other app. If you don't like Flipboard, you don't get to modify it, change its name to suit your own goals. This would not be any different. If you don't want to use Cortana, don't download it. End of story. If you do and see it as a perfect vehicle to send Fitbit info to, you do. Its not about forcing or enforcing anything other than its patent...which Microsoft owns.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft owns Cortana,therefore can dictate how and where it is used.
The question is,how to integrate it into other platforms,on those it has to remain a app,on WP it doesn't.
You said Cortana is more,then why not let it be the most it can be?

My argument is valid here,because until Microsoft changes how it does things,like fixing what they need to on WP then offering a vital part to just draw people to this ecosystem is useless.

Cortana can remain just another app,but has the potential to become much more

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft owns Cortana,therefore can dictate how and where it is used.
The question is,how to integrate it into other platforms,on those it has to remain a app,on WP it doesn't.
You said Cortana is more,then why not let it be the most it can be?

My argument is valid here,because until Microsoft changes how it does things,like fixing what they need to on WP then offering a vital part to just draw people to this ecosystem is useless.

Cortana can remain just another app,but has the potential to become much more

You completely lost me in that explanation but I'll let your point stand on its own. I'm trying to get to a discussion from a 500 foot view of what I think makes sense. Not so much on what it might take to accomplish it. I simply do not know.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You see Cortana as just another app,I don't..I see it as the beginning of a whole new interface for the entire Windows platform and how we interact with it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You see Cortana as just another app,I don't..I see it as the beginning of a whole new interface for the entire Windows platform and how we interact with it.

For the sake of discussion, I'll say its both and you are right, it is the beginning of a new interface which is what this personal assistant is in fact. I don't know that MS can determine is IOS or Android embeds or bakes it into their operating systems. Which is why I'm trying to steer away from programming and keep it to how MS might benefit from allowing it onto those other operating systems.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand why this would even be considered. Has anyone at apple ever talked about making siri available for android, bb, or wp? iPhone users have siri, they can keep it. If cortana is as great as the claims, at some point the iPhone/android users may start seeing Windows Phones differently.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand why this would even be considered. Has anyone at apple ever talked about making siri available for android, bb, or wp? iPhone users have siri, they can keep it. If cortana is as great as the claims, at some point the iPhone/android users may start seeing Windows Phones differently.
Plenty of very recent posts on why this is being considered. Enlighten yourself. I remember when it was only "Siri", there was talk about expanding its footprint. This was early Siri but Jobs put the kibosh on that idea. But again, Microsoft is only small in its phone division. It is a monster everywhere else it exists. Apple never enjoyed that distinction. Microsoft can make deals no other manufacturer can make which is why I'm guessing, the talk is what it is.

Khoimu Kh

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
After calming down from the reading the responses to the news about Cortana's future, I have decided that if MS is as serous about personal assistant aka Cortana, it makes sense to unleash it to other platforms (in the future) where not only it would get greater exposure but the amount of information Cortana would be able to gather would be a goldmine to Microsoft's future planning with apps like this feeding into Cortana.

Face it, WP is a scant better than 3 percent of the smart phone market its growing but here is where we are and the reality of it. How do you break the strangle hold if not by being downright "disruptive"? You have to think outside the box to drive sales to Windows Phone. No two ways about it.

There are many challenges ahead.

The good news is, that neither of the other two platforms have been able to successfully accomplish coming up with something close to what Cortana is. We all enjoy having it more than not having it and I bet a dollar to a dozen donuts that many on Android and IOS would pimp Cortana clean out given the opportunity. I'm talking about new ideas, uses, methodology and more importantly, $$financing$$. How would a Cortana enabled smart watch work? Cortana enabled Fitbit or Cortana enabled Internet Explorer for that matter. Lots of possibilities.

What Microsoft will need to do is make sure they take care of home. IOW,WP cannot be the last or super late to get updates, features and bug fixes. It must be a stellar experience on WP without fail. And if MS allows Cortana to flow outside the walls of Redmond with the intention of presenting it in the best possible light, we cannot be looking like National Lampoon Animal House at home. Cortana has to be damn near flawless on WP and I hope this is what Redmond has in mind. So, I think there is a bigger picture for personal assistant Cortana and I think the idea is at least worth exploring.
i dont think thats going to work if cortana is ported to android or ios, it only will make people choose android or ios instead
Reason: they got more apps and they have got their own personal voice assistance and Microsoft released office for ios even before they released for their own platform.
People choose android or ios because they have app or service which cannot be found on other devices and that is called killer app
Wp8.1 killer app is cortana if it get imported than it wont be a killer app anymore and android and ios are in a win win situation because they have alternate or two voice assistance while wp stuck with one and that is u.s. only while google now or siri update is worldwide

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The people who will benefit from this are those who have an Xbox or Windows PC and an iOS or Android smartphone. AFAIK this move has nothing to do with WP. I also fail to see how WP would benefit from it. This move is good for Cortana, but irrelevant for WP. If Cortana becomes a strong and widely recognized and appreciated feature, I suspect this move will be counterproductive for WP.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And the reason WP has 3% marketshare? Because of the mismanagement, lack of promotion, slow updates, even slower rollouts of devices, crap OEMs like HTC and Samsung who release phones and never promote them, all while Microsoft improves their services on ios and android but when it comes to WP all we get are empty promises. And yet another marquee feature hasn't even matured on WP and the geniuses at Microsoft are already planning to support their competitors. Microsoft owns the xbox yet WP has abysmal Xbox gaming, virtually no integration with its desktop cousin and is routinely ignored by various Microsoft divisions.

Not sure about you but my vision for WP is for it to be the no 1 smartphone OS. It may never achieve that but that is what I would work towards if it was up to me. Microsoft instead are preoccupied with ios and android users. Pathetic.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
And the reason WP has 3% marketshare? Because of the mismanagement, lack of promotion, slow updates, even slower rollouts of devices, crap OEMs like HTC and Samsung who release phones and never promote them, all while Microsoft improves their services on ios and android but when it comes to WP all we get are empty promises. And yet another marquee feature hasn't even matured on WP and the geniuses at Microsoft are already planning to support their competitors. Microsoft owns the xbox yet WP has abysmal Xbox gaming, virtually no integration with its desktop cousin and is routinely ignored by various Microsoft divisions.

Not sure about you but my vision for WP is for it to be the no 1 smartphone OS. It may never achieve that but that is what I would work towards if it was up to me. Microsoft instead are preoccupied with ios and android users. Pathetic.
No, the main reason Windows Phone is stuck at 3% market share in the US is because of absolute terrible despicable marketing efforts thus far.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i dont think thats going to work if cortana is ported to android or ios, it only will make people choose android or ios instead
Reason: they got more apps and they have got their own personal voice assistance and Microsoft released office for ios even before they released for their own platform.
People choose android or ios because they have app or service which cannot be found on other devices and that is called killer app
Wp8.1 killer app is cortana if it get imported than it wont be a killer app anymore and android and ios are in a win win situation because they have alternate or two voice assistance while wp stuck with one and that is u.s. only while google now or siri update is worldwide

I've seen Microsoft run this one before and run it successfully with a product we know as MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Just head of what we know as MSOffice. The big dogs at the time were Wordstar and Word Perfect and Word Perfect was thought to be unbeatable.

All offices, medical facilities and legal firms used Word Perfect MS Word was a joke. Same with Lotus 123. The spread sheet monster nationwide. Along comes Excel and the introduction of WYSIWYG and bundling and the rest was history. MS did stuff like give these packages to high schools, collage and universities for cheap and for free. Kept polishing until companies moved to MS Office.

I've been in long enough to have worked with networks built and run by Novel. Windows enabled connectors that would layer onto Novel's infrastructure and Windows 3.11 was off to the races. All of you should remember the days of the browser wars when MS bought Spyglass Mosaic and then birthed Internet Explorer which eventually beat reigning king Netscape.

The good news there is if Netscape had not lost to IE, we would not have Blue Tooth today but I digress.

Point is, .I'm thinking when you have the kinds of history this company has, I am not quick to count them out based on a few missing apps. I think they know they have a good product in personal assist aka Cortana and we don't yet know what else they are doing. I suspect this leak is part of a move we don't yet know and I'm just asking to question, why not? As an aside, opening up didn't seem to hurt google android too much. I'm just trying to explore how it could benefit WP. Not start a new discussion of how and why it won't work.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The good news is, that neither of the other two platforms have been able to successfully accomplish coming up with something close to what Cortana is.

I'm sure you probably believe that, but I'm pretty sure you haven't used Google Now. Sure, Cortana is capable of doing things that Google Now can't, but the same is true in vice versa. It's like Daniel even told you guys, Cortana is not disruptive, and Android/iOS users aren't clambering to get their hands on it really.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
im starting to lose faith in MS,they want cortana as cross platform,better skype and other services for cross platform
why dont they realize WP has a load of potential

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Ohh Brother

Netscape lost the browser war because of 2 reasons

1.. It cost for it,and wasn't cheap.
2..Microsoft bundling IE and locked into the os as the default browser

The rest about this is true,but I don't see Microsoft doing the same amount of saturation since the own the business community now,and again for WP moving Cortana off platform is not going to increase WP sales....

The issue is hard to point your finger at 1 thing and say this will make WP better..but easy to see how losing a exclusive feature can harm it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb