[Brainstorm] How do you want to voice activate Cortana?

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

The other day I saw Dan posted a topic about passive-voice activation for Cortana. I've been wondering if this feature come true, what is the best phrase to activate it.

This is what I thought so far:
- Since Cortana is evolving to be less robotic, we should try to avoid robotic phrase like "activate Cortana" or anything like that.
- Should keep it simple and short.

Activation phrase: Hi/Hello/Hey, Cortana.
Respond: Hey "Your Name", how can I assist you? [Listen to Voice input]

What do you think??

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I think it should be activated like the way you call someone, like "hey cortana" or just "cortana". The intonation of a voice is different when you call someone then when you're just mentioning a name. It would be cool if wp could understand the difference.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah i think it was pretty cool during the presentation from Joe Belfiore as he was beginning each sentence with "Cortana...". It really seemed to do anything - which it wasn't. But it was cool

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I think it's going to be "Hey Cortana". I think "Ok Google" is just plain stupid. Or we could go retro "Jeeves".

Honestly, that the reason I started this thread...Like what you said, it's just feel odd to say "Ok Google" to activate the Voice-assistant. Didn't they put some thought about it? Perhaps Google Now is not so "humanize"..so they don't need to care about it.

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
They could use lots of different words for activating Cortana! Not just "Hey", like with Siri. You could use Hi, Hello, Hey or whatever! Or you should just be able to say only Cortana and it should activate, too.
Or maybe you can choose what you want to say when you setup her! :)

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, like in the presentation, just say "Cortana" followed by what you want her to do. Should not be that problem. An awesome feature would be to integrate voice recognition to make her only react to your personal voice and not someone else (configurable).

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, like in the presentation, just say "Cortana" followed by what you want her to do. Should not be that problem. An awesome feature would be to integrate voice recognition to make her only react to your personal voice and not someone else (configurable).

Only saying Cortana might be annoying if you ever have a conversation about Cortana ;-)

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Good point, they would need to recognize the whole context of the sentence...to much effort I fear to do it all the time in the background.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I wish. When I wake from bed. My Phone alarm rings I can say...

"Cortana Shut up!" or Cortana be quiet and she turns of the alarm or snoozes :)

:)

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
How about a vocal pin or secret word that you get to choose, that way unless very unlucky, adverts could not activate your phone, same could be done with XBOX

eg: "Cortana, 1234" > Activated
or
"Cortana, Secret-Word" > Activated

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea that the activation is configurable and let's just say you can configure the words, what would that be?

And besides, I'm afraid that if just using the word "Cortana" alone would be annoying since we can't talk about Cortana topic in front of her...so we're gonna talk behind her? lolz..

Anyway, it's too bad that "Hey" has been taken. How bout "Cortana, listen to me."?

Sting921

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Best option could be personalization of how you wake up Cortana on your phone. Giving the option to select from a few default ways would be great too. Something like
"Hello Cortana"
"Cortana, wake up!"
"Good morning/evening, Cortana."

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I think there will have to be a secret word otherwise you could stand in a public place and shout "Cortana, Call Home" and everyone with a Windows Phone running Cortana would start calling home

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i like the ideo of many phrase like.
hey cortana.
hi cortana.
hello cortana.
listen cortana.
etc.

and after saying bye , it should not only replies to it but also closes cortana application. like in present she replies good bye or see you later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss