06-19-2014 10:46 PM
48 12
tools
    Hi All,

The other day I saw Dan posted a topic about passive-voice activation for Cortana. I've been wondering if this feature come true, what is the best phrase to activate it.

This is what I thought so far:
    - Since Cortana is evolving to be less robotic, we should try to avoid robotic phrase like "activate Cortana" or anything like that.
    - Should keep it simple and short.

Activation phrase: Hi/Hello/Hey, Cortana.
    Respond: Hey "Your Name", how can I assist you? [Listen to Voice input]

What do you think??
    06-18-2014 02:17 AM
    I think it's going to be "Hey Cortana". I think "Ok Google" is just plain stupid. Or we could go retro "Jeeves".
    06-18-2014 02:20 AM
    I think it should be activated like the way you call someone, like "hey cortana" or just "cortana". The intonation of a voice is different when you call someone then when you're just mentioning a name. It would be cool if wp could understand the difference.
    06-18-2014 02:36 AM
    Yeah i think it was pretty cool during the presentation from Joe Belfiore as he was beginning each sentence with "Cortana...". It really seemed to do anything - which it wasn't. But it was cool
    06-18-2014 02:52 AM
    I think it's going to be "Hey Cortana". I think "Ok Google" is just plain stupid. Or we could go retro "Jeeves".
    Honestly, that the reason I started this thread...Like what you said, it's just feel odd to say "Ok Google" to activate the Voice-assistant. Didn't they put some thought about it? Perhaps Google Now is not so "humanize"..so they don't need to care about it.
    06-18-2014 02:58 AM
    Google's os is not supposed to be human, it's called android for a reason.
    arjunan likes this.
    06-18-2014 03:05 AM
    Google's os is not supposed to be human, it's called android for a reason.
    Ah~!! Now that kinda make sense... thanks! But I personally don't like it though...sounds odd..
    06-18-2014 03:29 AM
    "Hey" is already taken by Siri: New settings in iOS 8: Auto-delete texts, camera privacy controls, 'Hey Siri' voice activation

I want it to work like in Star Trek. The computer always knows magically when somebody is talking to it, no activation needed ;-)
    06-18-2014 03:35 AM
    They could use lots of different words for activating Cortana! Not just "Hey", like with Siri. You could use Hi, Hello, Hey or whatever! Or you should just be able to say only Cortana and it should activate, too.
    Or maybe you can choose what you want to say when you setup her! :)
    06-18-2014 03:40 AM
    Yeah, like in the presentation, just say "Cortana" followed by what you want her to do. Should not be that problem. An awesome feature would be to integrate voice recognition to make her only react to your personal voice and not someone else (configurable).
    anon5924279 likes this.
    06-18-2014 03:59 AM
    Yeah, like in the presentation, just say "Cortana" followed by what you want her to do. Should not be that problem. An awesome feature would be to integrate voice recognition to make her only react to your personal voice and not someone else (configurable).
    Only saying Cortana might be annoying if you ever have a conversation about Cortana ;-)
    06-18-2014 04:04 AM
    Good point, they would need to recognize the whole context of the sentence...to much effort I fear to do it all the time in the background.
    06-18-2014 04:12 AM
    I wish. When I wake from bed. My Phone alarm rings I can say...

"Cortana Shut up!" or Cortana be quiet and she turns of the alarm or snoozes :-)

:-)
    sahib lopez, arjunan, tgp and 2 others like this.
    06-18-2014 04:30 AM
    How about a vocal pin or secret word that you get to choose, that way unless very unlucky, adverts could not activate your phone, same could be done with XBOX

eg: "Cortana, 1234" > Activated
    or
    "Cortana, Secret-Word" > Activated
    06-18-2014 04:36 AM
    I will vote for just "Cortana" and there she goes... Like we call a Human...
    06-18-2014 04:37 AM
    I will vote for just "Cortana" and there she goes... Like we call a Human...
    Thing is, humans know when their name is being spoken by an advert and when it is being spoken by another human, phones and consoles apparently do not
    http://www.winbeta.org/news/voice-ac...medium=twitter
    06-18-2014 04:42 AM
    I like the idea that the activation is configurable and let's just say you can configure the words, what would that be?

And besides, I'm afraid that if just using the word "Cortana" alone would be annoying since we can't talk about Cortana topic in front of her...so we're gonna talk behind her? lolz..

Anyway, it's too bad that "Hey" has been taken. How bout "Cortana, listen to me."?
    06-18-2014 04:46 AM
    Best option could be personalization of how you wake up Cortana on your phone. Giving the option to select from a few default ways would be great too. Something like
    "Hello Cortana"
    "Cortana, wake up!"
    "Good morning/evening, Cortana."
    06-18-2014 04:47 AM
    I think there will have to be a secret word otherwise you could stand in a public place and shout "Cortana, Call Home" and everyone with a Windows Phone running Cortana would start calling home
    KMV84 and Antony Chan like this.
    06-18-2014 04:47 AM
    i like the ideo of many phrase like.
    hey cortana.
    hi cortana.
    hello cortana.
    listen cortana.
    etc.

and after saying bye , it should not only replies to it but also closes cortana application. like in present she replies good bye or see you later.
    06-18-2014 04:50 AM
    The words before cortana should be kept configurable like as to personal preferences.. like some may say "Hey Cortana", "Baby Cortana", "Darling Cortana"and so on..
    Alex Blast likes this.
    06-18-2014 05:01 AM
    The words before cortana should be kept configurable like as to personal preferences.. like some may say "Hey Cortana", "Baby Cortana", "Darling Cortana"and so on..
    That's creepy.
    06-18-2014 06:06 AM
    How about Cortana syncs with the phone clock and we use

Good Morning Cortana
    Good Afternoon Cortana
    Good Evening Cortana

We turn off the listening aspects by just saying

Good Night Cortana..that puts it into sleep mode.....
    Amrykid likes this.
    06-18-2014 06:14 AM
    Being able to put it in sleep mode would be nice, and I suggest something like, "Listen up, Cortana," "Cortana On," or even the ability for you to type/record a phrase, have Cortana say/show you what she heard, and then that can be how you initiate the commands each time.
    Ex: Go to settings for Cortana and type the phrase, "I've got a question for you, Cortana." (I know it's long) Cortana replies much like she does when you record your name and asks if that's how it is said. You respond yes. Now all you have to do is say, "I've got a question for you, Cortana," and you hear her either respond in some way or you hear the notification sound that tells you to speak and you ask a question/say a command.
    This allows for maximum customization for how you can initiate Cortana and causes fewer people to say the same thing.
    Ex: "Okay, Google Now, call home." Anyone with Google Now set to listen starts calling home. But, with people being able to choose what they want to say for Cortana, and someone saying, "Beam me up, Cortana," only that person's phone reacts (most likely). Also, I don't know if its possible to set decibel limits for microphones on cell phones, but if so, then Cortana could only work within close proximity to you. This could work at whatever distance you want to by simply saying a sample sentence for Cortana to listen to and measure how loud you spoke to her. Then she can ask if that is an okay noise level for you to speak at. You can then have it only work when your phone is next your mouth, like a phone call, or only if your phone is in your pocket. Do these seem like good and plausible ideas?
    Antony Chan likes this.
    06-18-2014 06:42 AM
    Just, Cortana. Like Xbox. Siri have Hey, so...
    06-18-2014 06:44 AM
48 12