Powered by Bing!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Since Bing search has such a bad reputation due to haters, I thought that a good way to change that would be to plaster that name everywhere!
On the Cortana screen AND under web search, the phrase "powered by Bing" should be present (but in small font as to not overwhelm contents).
This way more people realize how great Bing is and the haters shall go back to their caves.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I brag on Bing a ton. Here in the States, it has improved it's content so much and has such interesting tidbits everyday it is an easy sell for a Microsoft product.

Adolf Kleinhans

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I brag on Bing a ton. Here in the States, it has improved it's content so much and has such interesting tidbits everyday it is an easy sell for a Microsoft product.

I also use bing, and quite like it. But never was able to put my finger on why i like it so much. Would you mind listing why you prefer it? What those 'tidbits' are. Tnx

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I also use bing, and quite like it. But never was able to put my finger on why i like it so much. Would you mind listing why you prefer it? What those 'tidbits' are. Tnx

The first is the new photo as it's background everyday and the 4 related bits of information you can learn about what the photo is. My favorite was last Halloween, when they showed something from like 10 horror movies and me and my daughter were texting back and forth trying to figure out all the movies.

Somedays it is a geographical area, some days an animal, somedays a sporting event, some days some historical, it is just too much coolness.

Then throw in the headlines that are linked at the bottom of the page in pictures. There isn't often I find things that don't at least grab my interest. What is that picture of that leader there for? What was that fireman carrying? What on Earth is Miley getting herself into NOW? Also, there are now 2 headlines specific to my area- usually a news item and the weather. Handy stuff.

Now, throw in the actual searches. Even as much as a year ago, I gave Google the tip of the cap in search results. Now, it is so close to a toss up I feel no real desire to double check Google unless I truly feel like I haven't found exactly what I wanted. I have always felt that Google search was better at answering questions, and that may be the last real hurdle Bing has to clear. Even their mapping results are on par with Google results now.

Obviously, Bing has a long, LONG way to go in any country not located in North America, but this shows me Bing will get there as well. Cortana being released in other markets means Bing has to improve. That is good for the rest of the world- Bing truly is a fun search engine that has nailed it's presentation.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a funny conversation earlier today with someone. They were telling me how much better Yahoo has become lately and how they like Yahoo search so much better than Google or Bing. He told me that if he can't find it on Yahoo, he will go to Google and then to Bing, since he was telling me how much Bing was not really all that useful.

So I pulled out my Surface Pro, went to Yahoo, did a search and scrolled to the bottom of the page. Guess what it says there?

"Powered by Bing"

I told him that one of my teams responsibilities is to help manage the Bing | Yahoo! relationship. So, his argument is invalid.

Bing has a ways to go still in some areas, but there are others where Bing is just so much better. BUT, you can say that when comparing any two+ brands of anything similar.

Ok, back to resting. That 5k today about killed me.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
haha people always question my self proclaim "PC enthusiast" everytime I brag about bing and IE. they're like...you're a computer geek and you use IE and bing???

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
haha people always question my self proclaim "PC enthusiast" everytime I brag about bing and IE. they're like...you're a computer geek and you use IE and bing???

Same here they just can't believe it. I say bing is better because it does not give targeted ads and internet explorer syncs beautifully with my Windows Phone.
Then the video searches are so much better in Bing than in Google. Google shows video results mostly from their YouTube whereas Bing provides results from much more varied sources and appropriate too. Bing has a better prediction algorithm. Bings gets news from around the world. Bing is cool.
This is the time Microsoft should start advertising Bing and making it available for every country in the world.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I love the home page images, and the way the quick links at the bottom bring interesting things I'd never normally click on. (Although sometimes that is a distraction!)

However the best part of Bing is that the search quality is actually as good as Google in 98% of cases now. Sometimes better. Rarely do I resort to going back to Google and have it succeed where Bing failed to find something (typically technical), which is so far from 2 years ago where Google wiped the floor with search quality.

Good work Bing team!

Artichoke

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I want to know how to get my Bing back since gaining Cortana
not that I don't like Cortana, but I liked also my old Bing
seems odd that Bing has gone missing on my AT&T 1520 ever since the upgrade

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I want to know how to get my Bing back since gaining Cortana
not that I don't like Cortana, but I liked also my old Bing
seems odd that Bing has gone missing on my AT&T 1520 ever since the upgrade

I don't get it. The only real thing you lose is the Bing page, everything you do in Cortana goes through Bing so it's not like you are losing anything.

If you REALLY want the homepage:

Open IE in a Private Browser Tab and go to bing.com and the page renders.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss