Cortana vs Google Now

rohit111

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Cortana beats Google Now hands down. Cortana is actually very human. Google Now sounds like a cheap fake copy of Siri and a very bad copy at that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Certainly. Click on the map part of the result in Google Now

Click on the place's title on this resulting screen:

Click "save"

This from the gentleman who is faulting Cortana for not integrating into her controls all functions preexistant in Here Maps.

You can't have it both ways, Davehow.

If Cortana is faulted (by you) for not having subsumed the "where did I park my car" function of Here Maps, then Google Now can not be praised for having to go to Google Maps to add Favorites due to the Google Now restriction on places only having "Home" and "Work" slots.

IMHO, you are trying too hard. Each device has those functions. Some are more immediate in one assistant, but then it lacks in other area its competitor has. Neither is perfect.

Your double standard doesn't make GN closer to perfect or Cortana less perfect than their reality. You're showing your bias here.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You certainly do like yourself a lot... I will concede that. Otherwise, you are just blowing some words around there and have totally ignored my point.

I think I'm done trying to discuss anything with someone who is obviously just trying to make this about scoring "personal points" and not discussing merits and details.

Have yourself a nice life...

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you noticed how many people in this forum refer to Google Now as "it" and Cortana as "she"? The jury's in.

Yes, and I also find this extremely disturbing.

I am going to risk asking a question that got me banned for a week last time I tried it (theories as to why as welcome, although to be fair it did make some people very defensive and uncomfortable)...
Why do people think Cortana is "female"? Is it simply the voice?
To ask in a different way - if Cortana had a male voice but was otherwise identical and gave exactly the same replies, would it be "male"? I note that Siri allows the user to choose between male and female voices.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, and I also find this extremely disturbing.

I am going to risk asking a question that got me banned for a week last time I tried it (theories as to why as welcome, although to be fair it did make some people very defensive and uncomfortable)...
Why do people think Cortana is "female"? Is it simply the voice?
To ask in a different way - if Cortana had a male voice but was otherwise identical and gave exactly the same replies, would it be "male"? I note that Siri allows the user to choose between male and female voices.

In Halo, Cortana is female. Also the voice actor for Cortana is Jen Taylor, who is also female. I guess it doesn't apply if you change the voice or use Cortana outside the US. I don't understand how people can get all fluffed up about such a thing :p

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
In Halo, Cortana is female. Also the voice actor for Cortana is Jen Taylor, who is also female. I guess it doesn't apply if you change the voice or use Cortana outside the US. I don't understand how people can get all fluffed up about such a thing :p

Thanks! That's the first reply I've seem over several threads that actually answered the question. Most seemed more concerned with defending some perceived threat to the poster's sexuality. :)

Tiew SH

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
In China, It is named as Xiao Na, which is a female chinese name. It will sound wIerd if it has male voice. Personally i love current Cortana voice, just like talking to a real assistant. I like the way i can chit chat with her(my virtual girlfriend) and she is funny. I don't like talking to the cold robot voice of Google Now or SIRI. No fun and bored.:wink:

BrunoShady

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Here in Brazil, Google Now is way better then Siri and Cortana, mainly for 2 reasons:

1 - "Ok Google";
2 - Brazilian Portuguese Support.

It's great that Cortana seems more human an stuff, but I don't want to chit chat with her... I want her to do stuff for me, like, alarm, reminders and stuff... And obviously, do all this without pressing any key.... I can't do this, and probably can't do it until end of 2015/2016....

Yes I can use Cortana in English, but when using, it not recognize Brazilian names...

I'm thinking to change to Android because this 'attention' to Brazilian market.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Here in Brazil, Google Now is way better then Siri and Cortana, mainly for 2 reasons:

1 - "Ok Google";
2 - Brazilian Portuguese Support.

It's great that Cortana seems more human an stuff, but I don't want to chit chat with her... I want her to do stuff for me, like, alarm, reminders and stuff... And obviously, do all this without pressing any key.... I can't do this, and probably can't do it until end of 2015/2016....

Yes I can use Cortana in English, but when using, it not recognize Brazilian names...

I'm thinking to change to Android because this 'attention' to Brazilian market.
"Ok Google" is more of a Moto X feature than Android. It won't work on any Android handset, you'd need a specific one, such as Moto X.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Having an iPhone right now, both Cortana and Google Now are much better, I believe Cortana is the best of the three platforms.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
"Ok Google" is more of a Moto X feature than Android. It won't work on any Android handset, you'd need a specific one, such as Moto X.

Actually now in Android (L?), on any screen of the launcher or in most Google apps, the microphone is always on for the "Okay Google" command. Doesn't require dedicated hardware too. Really wish MS would do at least that for older hardware and Cortana (they are adding always-on hotwirds for Cortana).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont know if there were issues with Canada and Cortana, but Cortana did not work well AT ALL here. Both using the Canadian settings or USA settings. I got a Nexus 5 couple of weeks ago and WOW, Google Now is outstanding! I cant believe how useful and helpful it is, with things i wouldnt even consider. So far for me, Google Now is much better than Cortana (based on my experience)...and i had Cortana going for a while, Google Now only 2 weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12