Changing family members in Cortana

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello there!

Today I was fiddling around with Cortana, and discovered that she can remember the names of my family members. So I went ahead and added my brother and father, and when I was going to select the contact of my mother, I accidentally tapped an other contact: the twitter profile of evleaks. And no. It is not funny.
So here I am wondering if there is any way to change that. I have already tried digging into the settings, and also reviewing "My Family" information on windowsphone.com- without any luck.
Any one have any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean Inner Circle?

Cortana > Overflow Menu (3 horizontal bars) > Inner Circle > Tap Contact > Menu (3 dots) > Remove from Inner Circle

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think what you are talking about is when you tell Cortana to call your "Mom" or something like that?

If that is the case, go into your Inner Circle or to the contact itself and look for an entry for their Nickname. If it says Mom or Mother or whatever you put, then remove that and you can re-add someone else.

If someone is in your Inner Circle, you can assign up to 3 nicknames for them. For those that are not, you can edit their contacts and just add a single nickname.

Hope this helps!

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think what you are talking about is when you tell Cortana to call your "Mom" or something like that?

If that is the case, go into your Inner Circle or to the contact itself and look for an entry for their Nickname. If it says Mom or Mother or whatever you put, then remove that and you can re-add someone else.

If someone is in your Inner Circle, you can assign up to 3 nicknames for them. For those that are not, you can edit their contacts and just add a single nickname.

Hope this helps!

Hello there! Thanks for the solution. I didn't know that Cortana just added nicknames to the contacts instead of recognizing them as family members. Indeed, your solution worked.

Also, if someone else is having this issue, and has accidentally added a contact without a phone number as a family member, you will not see the contact in the 'add to inner circle ' list of contacts. If this is the case, go to people, find their contact, and add any phone number. Then go to inner circle, add that contact, change their nickname, and then remove them again. Now you can add the proper contact which you wanted to have with that nickname.

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hah. I wouldn't put my mother in my Inner Circle. Why would I want her able to call me when ever? She'll call me and complain I never call her. Yell at me for mentioning that the last time I called her on her birthday, she said "I'll call you back in 5 minutes." Then she promptly "forgot" to do so. I'll make a joke about how I'm still waiting for that five minutes, hear a whiny lecture for 40 minutes on how I only have one mother (Thank whatever deity you wish for that), and tell me she didn't raise me to be like this. Not sure if that's a joke, since she left when I was a baby and never raised me period. I can only handle so much crazy, thank you.

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hah. I wouldn't put my mother in my Inner Circle. Why would I want her able to call me when ever? She'll call me and complain I never call her. Yell at me for mentioning that the last time I called her on her birthday, she said "I'll call you back in 5 minutes." Then she promptly "forgot" to do so. I'll make a joke about how I'm still waiting for that five minutes, hear a whiny lecture for 40 minutes on how I only have one mother (Thank whatever deity you wish for that), and tell me she didn't raise me to be like this. Not sure if that's a joke, since she left when I was a baby and never raised me period. I can only handle so much crazy, thank you.

well... that escalated quickly...

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Here is another method for managing family members or nicknames without having to add them to or use the Inner Circle at all:

1. Open People Hub.
2. Select your contact.
3. Tap edit (pencil icon).
4. Tap the "+" sign located to the right of the contact's name.
5. Scroll down and tap "add Cortana nicknames"
6. Enter up to three nicknames.
7. Save.

This gives you the ability to add, remove, correct, or modify as many brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts (or any other nicknames really) as required. I have nobody in my Inner Circle but I've done this for most of my contacts and Cortana knows who to call when I say call "so-and-so."

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
i tried and is nice can instead of nickname brother put sister and just works, is very good and more discreet way to call to your family instead of use their names !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss