Cortana on 1520

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have Cortana live tile pinned to start on 820, 1020 and 1520. No problem whatsoever on 820/1020 but my 1520 (with Cyan firmware) still getting "loading" and/or "resuming" message at start screen. It's getting hot and drain battery at the same time.

No problem with lags or battery if I unpin Cortana tile.

I though that above problems where connected to 8.1 DP but nope - still exists in Cyan :(

Any fixes planned???

Sent from my 41716VG using Tapatalk

Tomas Kavanagh

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. I just use the search button instead, it's not a big deal. Seems to be random though, other 1520's don't seem to have that problem. Maybe there's a link somewhere, for instance, did you buy yours sim free? Mine I got online from the UK but I found out it's a Hong Kong registered phone. Is yours? Anything else that might make yours different to others???

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not having that problem on my 1520. I am however having my camera just randomly load itself. It didn't start till dl live lock screen beta and set up Cortana. So not sure which one is causing the problem.

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. I just use the search button instead, it's not a big deal. Seems to be random though, other 1520's don't seem to have that problem. Maybe there's a link somewhere, for instance, did you buy yours sim free? Mine I got online from the UK but I found out it's a Hong Kong registered phone. Is yours? Anything else that might make yours different to others???

Yes, it is SIM free, PL country variant. Have two 1520 (same hardware) and issue is presnt on both. One 1520 is now on UK Rom and second on FI ROM. No changes though.
Already tried disabling everything including WiFi and all background processes and issue is still there. Definitely Cortana live tile.

With Cortana pinned I usually ended my day with 20-30% battery, withouth live tile and with everything turned on (WiFi, NFC, Bt etc) with 50-70%...

BTW I setup my 1020 EXACTLY the same way as 1520 with Cortana live tile and it still have 55% left now (last charge 13 hours ago).

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T US version of the 1520 and am still getting this problem. I had it during the dev preview and was hoping this problem would be fixed in the final version. I did notice, that it still shows Cortana as beta so maybe when it's finalized this issue will be fixed. I just had to unpin the tile again today because of this problem.

Shawnbrow7

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Tomas,
My team would like to help get to the bottom of the issue you are experiencing with your Lumia 1520. If you are willing, could you provide answers to any or all of the questions below to help us figure out what is going on here.

1) Do you have any other live tiles pinned to your start menu? If so, which ones?
If not, pin one and see if you have the same issue.
2) What type of connection do you usually use when you are experiencing this? WiFi, Cellular?
3) How many Cortana interests are you tracking?
4) Have you pinned any individual interest live tile?
5) Can you send a screenshot of Settings-> About (expanded) to help understand more detail of your phone?

Thanks

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Tomas,
My team would like to help get to the bottom of the issue you are experiencing with your Lumia 1520. If you are willing, could you provide answers to any or all of the questions below to help us figure out what is going on here.

1)Do you have any other live tiles pinned to your start menu? If so, which ones?
If not, pin one and see if you have the same issue.
2)What type of connection do you usually use when you are experiencing this? WiFi, Cellular?
3)How many Cortana interests are you tracking?
4)Have you pinned any individual interest live tile?
5)Can you send a screenshot of Settings-> About (expanded) to help understand more detail of your phone?

Thanks

1) Several. Messaging, Calendar, Linked Inbox, WP Central, Insider (battery meter), Amazing Weather, News, Battery, Photos, 500pix, Health & Fitness, Magnify, Zinio, Skype etc,
2) Both. Although I see that on WiFi it's less frequent.
3) 18 in total
4) No
5)

One more observation; looks like the issue is well connected to location. Often it happens on move, rarely (but not never) at home or work.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140802_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140802_0001.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Shawnbrow7

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
1) Several. Messaging, Calendar, Linked Inbox, WP Central, Insider (battery meter), Amazing Weather, News, Battery, Photos, 500pix, Health & Fitness, Magnify, Zinio, Skype etc,
2) Both. Although I see that on WiFi it's less frequent.
3) 18 in total
4) No
5)

One more observation; looks like the issue is well connected to location. Often it happens on move, rarely (but not never) at home or work.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Mark

Thank you Mark, we are investigating with the new data you provided.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I also suffered very bad battery life with the main Cortana tile pinned, mostly resolved by unpinning. This is on 1520 Hong Kong model, dev preview before GDR1. Also getting the occasional spontaneous camera app launch without touching the shutter button. The phone does still go through 'hot periods' where it's clear it's burning through a lot of battery without any open apps. I would really love a full-blown task manager as in Win8 for troubleshooting purposes!

Shawnbrow7

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Mark for your help in getting data for this issue. Our teams believe we have a fix for the issue you in the latest Developer Preview update. If you are still experiencing the issue once you have moved up, please let us know. Thank you!

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!
Although I'm on 930 now (so far so good but where is Glance???) I'll switch to 1520 and recheck. Will post results here.

Mark

GK Wong

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Got this issue since DP8.1 on my 1520. With Cyan still having same issue. I thought with the latest GDR1 might already fixed it, but issue still the same.

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Mark for your help in getting data for this issue. Our teams believe we have a fix for the issue you in the latest Developer Preview update. If you are still experiencing the issue once you have moved up, please let us know. Thank you!

It's bit better but issue is still there.
The first day was OK, no overheating no "resuming" on home screen, but today my 1520 unexpectedly shows "loading" and got hot a minute later. It happened twice. Issue is back :(

FYI 1520 updated to 8.1 Update 1, formatted and setup from scratch.
I've spent yesterday and today with both 1520 and 930 (with identical setup except glance) both with sim cards, trying my best to simultaneously operate both. Problem mentioned earlier doesn't exists on 930.

BTW ALL emails (always!) came first to 1520 then 930 then my Surface Pro. All devices with "as item arrive" settings. Interesting...

Mongotoo

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I have been experiencing the overheating and resuming issue as well on my 1520. It all started after I updated to Windows 8.1 from AT&T. It just happens randomly while it's in my pocket. Is it tied to Cortana?

M Mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
It's bit better but issue is still there.
The first day was OK, no overheating no "resuming" on home screen, but today my 1520 unexpectedly shows "loading" and got hot a minute later. It happened twice. Issue is back :(

FYI 1520 updated to 8.1 Update 1, formatted and setup from scratch.
I've spent yesterday and today with both 1520 and 930 (with identical setup except glance) both with sim cards, trying my best to simultaneously operate both. Problem mentioned earlier doesn't exists on 930.

BTW ALL emails (always!) came first to 1520 then 930 then my Surface Pro. All devices with "as item arrive" settings. Interesting...

Something new; I've switched to UK Cortana two days ago and no problem with live tile. ZERO problems. Hope it stay like that.

BTW Why Cortana rely on all three: Language, Region and Speech??? It should works like that:
Language - that's the phone interface, Cortana shouldn't rely on it at all
Region - Cortana should switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius, new feeds etc based on that
Speech - voice of Cortana, both recognition and actual speech

I'd like to setup my Cortana with European interests and US voice.

Mongotoo

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I think I have the overheating issue solved. Someone suggested I turn off Cortana from running in the background under the battery saver options. Two days in and no overheating to report.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99