Traffic info to calendar events locations

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've seen in various occasions, including the recent Cortana vs. Siri ad, that Cortana should provide traffic info to locations in calendar events. However this has never happened to me. Cortana gives me consistently traffic info to work in the morning and to home in the evening, but never related to events. I've tried with locations defined in Cortana "Places", with geographical locations, addresses, etc., but nothing, and have checked all possible settings and everything is active as it should. Does this work for any of you? Do you have an example I could try? I'm using an Exchange-based calendar as primary, I would assume this is supported.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
you have to type in a complete address.
I've already talked to a rep from Cortana team about this. hopefully they'll fix it soon but in order for it to work, you'll have to type in the entire address like how you'd address a letter.

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
@Alienhead95 and @James8561, thanks both for the explanation, I've set up an event with a complete address including town an country and indeed it works! I had previously used only the street address. Now waiting patiently for a fix for location names.

wpuser87

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I also hope they solve this and update the calendar app to automatically search for places while you type the location's name/address/etc. It's actually astonishing how this is yet to be implemented! I've never been able to have Cortana tell me when to leave for an event, but I just assumed it was because I was in the UK. Let's see if this changes with Update 1 and with Cortana coming to the UK next week.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Has always worked well for me in the US. I'm not sure if you need the COMPLETE address. I think it has done it for me with just the street address and city.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I also hope they solve this and update the calendar app to automatically search for places while you type the location's name/address/etc. It's actually astonishing how this is yet to be implemented! I've never been able to have Cortana tell me when to leave for an event, but I just assumed it was because I was in the UK. Let's see if this changes with Update 1 and with Cortana coming to the UK next week.
I was just about to ask if there is a way to add the address within the calendar app. I guess not? I don't think I've seen a way on the desktop app, so do we just have to go through the browser?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I was just about to ask if there is a way to add the address within the calendar app. I guess not? I don't think I've seen a way on the desktop app, so do we just have to go through the browser?

Yes..you can... just enter the address in the "location" field for the meeting. Cortana reads it from there.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I see. It just doesn't pop up to confirm. I tried it out and it worked great. Cool.

I've also heard that Cortana will learn where you go if you go there regularly and she'll automatically put it in your favorite places. Is this correct? Right now, I have my school classes in the calendar without the specific location. Would she recognize and connect the locations and events?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I see. It just doesn't pop up to confirm. I tried it out and it worked great. Cool.

I've also heard that Cortana will learn where you go if you go there regularly and she'll automatically put it in your favorite places. Is this correct? Right now, I have my school classes in the calendar without the specific location. Would she recognize and connect the locations and events?

That only works for work and home... other favorites should be saved in Maps if you want those in there.

wpuser87

May 4, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, as you write the address/name of location in the calendar app, no suggestions pop up (as in Google Calendar), which is unfortunate, since the only way to know if Cortana recognizes the address is wait and see if she alerts you. Or you can open Bing Maps and search the location and then copy the address (if it ever finds what you're looking for), but that is too much work for something that should be seamless.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Cool, she asked this morning if I was at home and saved it. I wondered if she will figure out school (although she might just it as work) since I go the same time every day, but leave at different times. Maybe I should just put that one in.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Cool, she asked this morning if I was at home and saved it. I wondered if she will figure out school (although she might just it as work) since I go the same time every day, but leave at different times. Maybe I should just put that one in.

Outside of home and work, I added a bunch just in case it helped when asking, "directions to xxxx" when I wanted to go to another place I drive to often. In the end though, I've just saved those as favorites in Waze (my default voice navy app) and it's just as quick to open that up and select from there in those cases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs