I assume everyone has seen the new look Cortana is getting for china and it reminded me of the previous rumours that Cortana would resemble the superintendent from ODST

superintendent_icon_pack_by_kraken_slayer.png

Which is safe to say is happening now, with this new update.
    07-30-2014 03:03 AM
    looks a bit childish and unprofessional imo. I prefer the simple and modern circles.
    07-30-2014 03:08 AM
    Lame. China deserves Cortana not a cheap animated emoticon.
    07-30-2014 03:49 AM
    Weird. I prefer the Chinese Cortana. I find myself looking having a face that can express emotions, which makes chit-chat so much easier to pull together.

I still want the Madobe sisters to be able to sit in for Cortana, though.
    07-30-2014 04:15 AM
    MS does what they need to navigate the Chinese minefield.
    07-31-2014 02:51 AM
    MS does what they need to navigate the Chinese minefield.
    Which is exactly what they're doing...

Microsoft forming Beijing team to develop China specific PC, tablet and phone projects | Windows Phone Central
    07-31-2014 04:01 AM
    You have to understand that there are some VAST cultural differences between the Asian countries and most anywhere else (I am Asian so I can understand). The people respond to thing differently that we would. I would bet that market studies showed that this kind of iconic design garnered more acceptance in market tests than our standard Cortana circle as depicted in the game.
    07-31-2014 08:31 AM
    I don't really buy the cultural differences argument. The Cortana circle shows a range of emotions without needing a face or eyes. I think MS ultimately wants to sell merchandise and what better way than to try to appeal to children with a cute pet-like character to slap on key-chains and stickers.

Then there's this coincidence:
    debut11.png
    07-31-2014 08:58 AM
    I don't really buy the cultural differences argument. The Cortana circle shows a range of emotions without needing a face or eyes. I think MS ultimately wants to sell merchandise and what better way than to try to appeal to children with a cute pet-like character to slap on key-chains and stickers.
    Seriously, there is a huge cultural difference in marketing and what works.

I used to work for Expedia and their site is a prime example on how this works.

Head over to Expedia Travel: Vacations, Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets & Airfares and you will see a nice modern looking site that appeals to those of us here in the US.

Travel Deals: Flights, Hotels and Holidays - Travel with Expedia has the older layout, but all in all, pretty much the same in the way things look.

Now, head over to (Expedia Japan) (you have to enable Japanese Language to see the full JP site) and you will see that they have this Expedia Bear that is plastered all over and is somewhat a mascot for the site. You can even see it here in their commercials:

The culture there has shown and proven that having animal/animated mascots for products and services goes a LONG way in marketing and adoption there.

What I am saying is that in China, as well as other parts of Asia, these types of emoting icon faces do really well vs. over in the western world. The cultural differences are there and if you are a global company and not willing to see and embrace that, you're not going to make it too far.
    07-31-2014 09:50 AM
    Talderon, I'm messing with ya.
    07-31-2014 09:58 AM
    Talderon, I'm messing with ya.
    :( Awww maaaaaaaaaan... I went through all that for nuttin'?? LOL!

I sure am going to miss this place. :D (Microsoft, not WPCentral, I will always be here). LOL!
    07-31-2014 10:58 AM
    :( Awww maaaaaaaaaan... I went through all that for nuttin'?? LOL!

I sure am going to miss this place. :D (Microsoft, not WPCentral, I will always be here). LOL!
    What happened that closed the update on Cortana thread
    07-31-2014 11:59 AM
    What happened that closed the update on Cortana thread
    My official last day at Microsoft is tomorrow, so there is no more need to keep that thread going as there will be no more info coming from me other than what's posted publically. :(
    07-31-2014 12:28 PM
    My official last day at Microsoft is tomorrow, so there is no more need to keep that thread going as there will be no more info coming from me other than what's posted publically. :(
    Can I have your job at Microsoft? LOL I would love to work there.
    08-01-2014 04:07 PM
    I'd stick with the circles. If they would change her face I hope it would be the Cortana from the game itself.
    08-01-2014 09:06 PM
    I'd stick with the circles. If they would change her face I hope it would be the Cortana from the game itself.
    Yeah! Cortana in it's Halo avatar will be awesome....
    08-01-2014 09:08 PM