I had no internet last night. Was heading to sleep and asked Cortana to set a reminder to wake me up like I always ask her to do. To my surprise, she said she couldn't connect to the internet. So I tried again, maybe she didn't catch what I said correctly. She responded she had trouble connecting to the internet. I tried typing in the command, same response she gives me.

Why does she need internet to set an alarm? I really hope MS will work on this. My personal assistant shouldn't always depend on the internet for some basic functionality.
    Sam Picar, teckris and LTTG like this.
    08-01-2014 07:33 PM
    "My personal assistant shouldn't always depend on the internet for some basic functionality"
    I agree with you, Microsoft should totally fix this in the next update!
    Painkillerhu likes this.
    08-01-2014 07:39 PM
    Yeah certain entities should have an offline mode like reminders. Maybe have it configurable in Cortana Interests.
    LTTG likes this.
    08-01-2014 07:52 PM
    I agree that Cortana should have more offline features available, and basic tasks like that should not be dependent on internet connection. My guess is that maybe the data required to process that information (the varying voice commands to actual computer commands) will require much more resources that the phone can offer. Basic voice commands may be available like opening certain apps like messages and music. More advanced ones require more than just basic coding.

But I agree with the idea that Cortana should be more independent and not rely on an internet connection. If this happens, she might truly be the perfect virtual assistant.
    08-01-2014 09:04 PM
    Had a friend explain to me that it is similar with Google as well. Says that the way the voice recognition works, is that it uses the Bing/Google servers to process the voice commands as it is not done locally on the phone.

I guess if it's how the personal assistants work in the smart phones, I can't complain too loudly and just hope they get better at working without the internet.
    08-02-2014 12:43 AM
    I would really like to have some basic functionality offline on Cortana. If MS can make it so, then they should in future. It will be great.
    08-02-2014 02:05 AM
    ok.. VOICE RECOGNITION is complicated.. Still OFFLINE can work for simple words and User WILL use simple commands during OFFLINE session.. Wont that be easy?
    08-02-2014 02:12 AM
    Data mining is what is required, offline will undermine ToT!? Gimmick I say.
    08-02-2014 02:43 AM
    Data mining is what is required, offline will undermine ToT!? Gimmick I say.
    You are saying the right thing but basic tasks like setting an alarm can work during offline mode. I think these kind of basic tasks are not that important for data mining or are they?
    08-02-2014 05:51 AM
    Ok, voice recognition is not that simple for independent users, thats why they need servers, to compare all voice and know what that sound means. If this would be really necessary, you would need to calibrate your phone to recognize your voice and accent (like windows voice recognition) reading texts and this kind of thing. and you would need to give exact command, and not context commands like Cortana understand. adding this to the OS would increase its size also.
    08-02-2014 10:44 AM
    Agreed Cortana should be able to execute certain functions without the internet(alarms, reminders, calendar entries). Then when the internet comes back, it can sync reminders and calendar to OneDrive. Alarms should always remain a local function.
    08-02-2014 03:59 PM