What do you use Cortana for the most?

Davulsukur

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
So worth the news that other places outside the U.S are getting Cortana next week, I wondered what features people who already have the app use the most?

Watching some WPcentral videos on Cortana, it looks like there is alot that can be done and I am very much looking forward to using it. However, is it (should that be she?) as good as it looks?

Joel Marambaia

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I was using it to find places to eat, asking "places to eat near me" or "around me" but it's not working anymore, showing simple web search. Anyone have the same issue?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I actually find myself asking her questions to solve stupid arguments I have with a family member or friend like how old or tall a celebrity is and stuff like that. She becomes really useful when I am running late for school or work and ask "what's the traffic like from here to school" and she'll pull up a map and talk to me about it. There's a lot of other things I have her do as far as reminders and answering questions or giving me directions, she is very smart.

And unless somebody is standing right next to me yelling, she seems to be very good at voice recognition. Sometimes she will listen and immediately add in words she heard somebody around me say, but during her brief post processing she realizes that that was not me speaking and corrects herself before I have a chance to get upset! She's quite incredible

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
For Jibber Jabber. Only when I'm bored. I ask the stupid questions.. I asked if I needed an umbrella when it was already raining lol. I never really fancied voice assistants. Even with Siri when I had the iPhone.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I use the time reminders multiple times a day, quiet hours for meetings at work, etc., (Almost) hands free music control while driving. Voice recognition is excellent (hit or miss through my car's bluetooth, but I think that's the fault of the bluetooth mic, not Cortana). I also use it for typed Bing searches quite a few times a day.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Remind me is pretty awesome.

I ask questions for knowledge and searches for things I need.

Setting interests helps as the live tile rotates through some pretty good info. Cortana has bumped my dedicated News App (NBC News) way down the Start Screen and off the initial unlock view since I don't need headlines showing twice on the same screen.

And yep, those quite hours are nice... Don't forget your inner circle so you can be reached in an emergency.

robbiegod

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
yeah same here. I use it for location reminders (remind me when i get to work to do that thing i do), works great!

And remind in 45 minutes to do that other thing i do.

​"wake me up in 20 minutes"

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I use Cortana for reminders, setting new calendar events, and (most of all) to follow and keep up on the news.

Whether I press the search button and swipe down, or use the Live Tile: I'm constantly going to my Interests to keep up what's going on in my life and the greater world around me.

It's incredible, totally invaluable. I use it constantly.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
What is the voice recognition like? Does it pick up what you are saying first time?

Windows Phone has always had (and continues to have) the best voice recognition I've come across. I'm sure Microsoft is utilizing their Kinect technology for such superb results, it's really good!!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I use Cortana mainly for the news, reminders and switching music when I'm out wearing headphones with an inline microphone :p it does struggle sometimes with my NZ accent but if I put on a (slightly racist) American accent she doesn't drop a word, even in noisy environments

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Reminders, news, traffic/travel time is what I use her for the most. Also use flight tracking and explore near by as needed.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is useless for me. At least she was today. I tried to find AutoZone while I drive, "give me directions to.. Or find .." She probably did everything she can but directions to the store. She once said "I can't find music starting with Q" after another try she opened Date+Time settings... I searched for it on Nokia Maps and found it right away

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion