What do you use Cortana for the most?

Davulsukur

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I use Cortana mainly for the news, reminders and switching music when I'm out wearing headphones with an inline microphone :p it does struggle sometimes with my NZ accent but if I put on a (slightly racist) American accent she doesn't drop a word, even in noisy environments
I don't think i can say "Cortana" unless i say in the voice of the master chief.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a device with Cortana , but I must say a relative of mine (who shall remain anonymous lol) has used Cortana as a companion/parrot to test out their lude jokes and for her "honest" advice for random subjects. Lol.

vitor_canova

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Since in not in US many things don't work out of the box. Even Bing is in beta here.

So usually I use Cortana for time based reminders and geofence reminders.

Since it does not recognizes many place names due accent differences I need to set those geofences manually since it offers an option of "Here" and I can't say after where is "Here". Like supermarket.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
While driving with Bluetooth headset, having texts read and responding verbally. Or just dictating texts.

I use reminders are a lot. They will be even better when the snooze option is added to location based reminders with 8.1 update 1.

The news function works well.

I can't use quiet hours, since I need to be able to take emergency calls from unknown phone numbers at night, and during meetings where I don't want interruptions, quiet hours isn't restrictive enough. If I didn't need to be available for emergency calls at night, quiet hours would be awesome.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...They will be even better when the snooze option is added to location based reminders with 8.1 update 1...

When a location based Reminder comes up just tap "Next Time" and it will come back when you reenter that location. I use it for the store where meds get filled for me and the wife. That's on 8.1 no GDR 1.

​Or do you mean "tell me again in 5 minutes?"

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Getting messages while driving, Remind Me, setting meetings, and local searches. The voice recognition is quite impressive! Looking forward to the GDR1 and the car Bluetooth integration improvements! And I almost forgot, keeping up with my favorite sports teams!

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
mostly crucial reminders, letting her read my incoming messages, along with alarms, and also some bing searches. Less frequent ones are replying to someone or calling someone or opening apps.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Quiet hours in connection with calendar events, so quiet hours while I'm at work mostly. Ideally it'd be quiet hours by location but calendar works great too.

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Haven't used Cortana. Like Siri it's nice but it's yet a little weird to talk to your phone in public.
You realize you dong have to actually talk to her, right? Anything you'd say can also be typed and she'll type right back. I rarely actually talk to my phone, but I type to it a lot!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
When a location based Reminder comes up just tap "Next Time" and it will come back when you reenter that location. I use it for the store where meds get filled for me and the wife. That's on 8.1 no GDR 1.

​Or do you mean "tell me again in 5 minutes?"

You can do that to!!! Easy.

With any pop up or reminder that doesn't have a "snooze" button, 90% of the time: Simply pushing the Back button will close it, then it'll pop back up five minutes later.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I WOULD use her most for location based reminders. I say would because these are still not working for me. Never fired up any of my set location based reminders.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can do that to!!! Easy.

With any pop up or reminder that doesn't have a "snooze" button, 90% of the time: Simply pushing the Back button will close it, then it'll pop back up five minutes later.

I can confirm that on 8.1 GDR 1 Pre 4 Devs... Snooze does work for both time based and geography based reminders.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I use her for a lot of things but mostly have her read texted to me, also have her write and then send my text. I am actually pretty impressed with the voice recognition.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I use her for a lot of things but mostly have her read texted to me, also have her write and then send my text. I am actually pretty impressed with the voice recognition.

The voice recognition is indeed incredible. Also does a fantastic job of ignoring background noise and conversation, always impresses my friends in school!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss