Cortana in Canada

jddesigned

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Even with Language set to English Canada at the top of the list, in my main Settings view it displays Language as English US. Could this be what is keeping Cortana from working?

wp_ss_20140805_0001.jpg

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
just delete the language English (US)...i was having similar issues yesterday, you can readd it if something happens (just make sure to keep one on your list)

Cindy WP

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Under English (Canada), I have no option to enable it as my phone language and this is probably why Cortana is not working for me. Because there's no option to set this as my phone language, I can't delete English (United States) from my language settings.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar problem? I've already tried hard-resetting my phone. I'm running a Lumia 920 and Cortana works perfect for me if everything is set to English (United States).

wp_ss_20140806_0001.png
The options shown after tapping and holding on English (Canada):
wp_ss_20140806_0002.png
Language is still shown as English (United States). (I have no problems changing my region to Canada)
wp_ss_20140806_0003.png

Last edited:

jddesigned

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Under English (Canada), I have no option to enable it as my phone language and this is probably why Cortana is not working for me. Because there's no option set this as my phone language, I can't delete English (United States) from my language settings.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar problem? I've already tried hard-resetting my phone. I'm running a Lumia 920 and Cortana works perfect for me if everything is set to English (United States).

View attachment 75449
The options shown after tapping and holding on English (Canada):
View attachment 75450
Language is still shown as English (United States). (I have no problems changing my region to Canada)
View attachment 75451
Ya, this is my problem too. Is yours a US unlock? Mine is a AT&T unlock.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ah OK, yours looks different than mine...I'm running a Rogers 1020 Locked.

I just retested, you cannot remove the first item on the list...it is odd you dont have the language settings for Canada English, maybe you need to download a file for it to your phone? You can see i have the options avaliable, is your regional format set to Canada as well (in the pics it shows USA)?

Also to note i just realized why we dont have speech for Cortana, theres no Canada option? Even with USA speech set it doesnt work (looks like language, keyboard, region, speech need to all match which sucks).

wp_ss_20140806_0003.jpg

Cindy WP

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Mine is currently locked to AT&T. I got the phone as a gift a couple months back. Because it's locked, it obviously doesn't work here in Canada, so I've just been using it to play around with the OS. Currently in the process of trying to get it unlocked. :)

I've also tried getting the Chinese Cortana working, but I'm having the same problem when setting Chinese (PRC) as my phone language (no problems setting the region, speech or keyboard). Strangely enough, if I set the language to Chinese (Hong Kong), the phone language CAN be enabled!!! ...but Cortana still won't work, it needs all the settings to be for China (PRC).

Finally, I tried French. :grin: French (Canada) does not allow the option to enable the phone language, but French (France) does.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why Microsoft wouldn't just include Canada in the US Beta. The accents vary moreso down there than they do up here. Someone from Vancouver or Toronto barely has any affectation to their voice, compared to say Georgia or Boston.

As a Canadian, I'll stick with US Beta instead of downgrading. Been working fine for me.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why Microsoft wouldn't just include Canada in the US Beta. The accents vary moreso down there than they do up here. Someone from Vancouver or Toronto barely has any affectation to their voice, compared to say Georgia or Boston.

As a Canadian, I'll stick with US Beta instead of downgrading. Been working fine for me.

Does everything work with the US Beta in Canada, such as Location Services with reminders and other things that would be specific to Canadian services? If so, can you let me know your Region settings option? Im tempted to start using the US now that i know what Cortana is first hand.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Does everything work with the US Beta in Canada, such as Location Services with reminders and other things that would be specific to Canadian services? If so, can you let me know your Region settings option? Im tempted to start using the US now that i know what Cortana is first hand.

Oh yeah, everything works 100% perfectly. Location reminders, geofencing, etc. Even local recommendations (even though I turn that part off, it does work fine if you use it).

My settings are USA for everything.
LANGUAGE: "English (United States)"
Country/Region: "United States"
Regional format: "match phone language"

The only real pain is searching on maps. You have to be specific for things. Like instead of searching "102 centre street", you have to put "102 centre street, city, province". But I'm not sure if that's because my phone is set as an American phone, or just on account of Bing being very basic in searching compared to google.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah, everything works 100% perfectly. Location reminders, geofencing, etc. Even local recommendations (even though I turn that part off, it does work fine if you use it).

My settings are USA for everything.
LANGUAGE: "English (United States)"
Country/Region: "United States"
Regional format: "match phone language"

The only real pain is searching on maps. You have to be specific for things. Like instead of searching "102 centre street", you have to put "102 centre street, city, province". But I'm not sure if that's because my phone is set as an American phone, or just on account of Bing being very basic in searching compared to google.

Ok thanks very much, i have set everything as you said...i was really concerned about the Regional Format and messing up my currency/funds, im hoping its OK. I have changed all and reset my phone..here we go

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Everything works quite well with the US Beta in Canada. The only annoyance is temperature being displayed in Fahrenheit.

Edit: Quick update, this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cortana/301804-possible-fix-cortana-no-chit-chat-interests.html worked for fixing my blank adding interests screen. It also triggered Foursquare suggestions being added.

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Everything works quite well with the US Beta in Canada. The only annoyance is temperature being displayed in Fahrenheit.

Edit: Quick update, this post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cortana/301804-possible-fix-cortana-no-chit-chat-interests.html worked for fixing my blank adding interests screen. It also triggered Foursquare suggestions being added.

Yes the Fahrenheit is annoying but i can manage, ive got 2 other weather apps running Celsius.

I did not have blank Interests but theres no Chit Chat, She just NEVER talks...i went through the referenced process, lets see if it fixes by adding SOME conversation or voice.

ranjeetbassi

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue too. I have a feeling that cortana will not work for devices that were sold in a different region .

For example I have a ATT Nokia Lumia 920 Unlocked and I am using it in Canada. The English(Canada) does not appear under the language settings and the region and country have been set to Canada.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I set my region back to Canada, didn't find the US that much more different and the temperature using F instead of C drove me nuts. I find they are practically the same, aside from a few extra interests.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss