Cortana in Canada

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I live in Canada and I'm using Cortana as if I lived in the United States. As mentioned before on WPC, GDR 1 should include the option to use Cortana as Alpha in Canada... Any idea on how to do so? I've changed my region to Canada and I kept my language as USA, but that didn't work 'cause Cortana was disabled and I got that old search back! =/

Any idea?

sp990

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, the settings for Canada in Update 1 are as follows:

UI Language: English (Canada)
Region: Canada
Speech: English (United States)

Sorry for the confusion!

-Sandeep

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I know it's "alpha", but they still make it difficult to get things going with all the regions, languages, and corresponding options in WP. Frustrating.

Anyway, try this. Worked for me:

Settings-->Language-->Add Languages--> English (Canada)-->reboot phone.

That's assuming you have everything else set up as I did, which sounds like you have.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Still not working for me. I have everything set to "Canada" where possible, but when I go to the Cortana settings it still tells me "Cortana can only work if your speech language matches your display language." When you go to speech language, only "English (India)", "English (United Kingdom)", and "English (United States)" exist. When I'm set to the United States one, I can't flip the switch.

Man, mine is...

Region: Canada
Regional Format: English (Canada)

Language: English (Canada)

The thing is... I also have english USA and Portuguese (Brazil) as languages, but I've moved English Canada to the Top above English USA

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So with the people who have had experience with Cortana since 8.1 launched, do you find shes actually learned about YOU and your needs? I gave her permission to my FB account, allowed her access to majority of my personal settings and filled out my interests/preferences. However, nothing has happened since i activated her...the live tile is just the latest headline...will she become more robust over time (with getting to know "me")?

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've enabled the Alpha and found she shows nothing but the Weather. Any custom news categories don't show with results, and trying to add new interests results in a blank black screen. All other interests that we're setup while having the region set to US are gone except news. I get the weather in Celsius which is awesome, but nothing else..

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've enabled the Alpha and found she shows nothing but the Weather. Any custom news categories don't show with results, and trying to add new interests results in a blank black screen. All other interests that we're setup while having the region set to US are gone except news. I get the weather in Celsius which is awesome, but nothing else..

Ya I was a bit disappointed that so much was missing. I know its Alpha but I was hoping that just meant a lot of the interests etc would just use the US stuff - which worked well in Canada anyway. I've switched to UK Cortana now, going to try that out for a while. At least the weather is in Celsius by default. And not minding the new voice (English accent).

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ya I was a bit disappointed that so much was missing. I know its Alpha but I was hoping that just meant a lot of the interests etc would just use the US stuff - which worked well in Canada anyway. I've switched to UK Cortana now, going to try that out for a while. At least the weather is in Celsius by default. And not minding the new voice (English accent).

I've done the same, switched to UK Cortana. I don't understand Microsofts reasoning for disabling all these features. Using US Cortana in Canada was working perfectly.

The only areas I saw issues were a lack of "recommendations" when it came to nearby restaurants, which would have been mitigated by the plethora of Foursquare data they're now adding. Time to leave alerts, news, sports, all these things are working great in Canada with the US version. The reason I switched was because I was getting sick of getting the weather in Fahrenheit.

Sadly for me personally, the thing that's still missing from any Cortana regions is a setting for transit preferences. I don't need to know how long it takes to drive to get to work or an appointment. I take Transit everywhere or walk, and that still isn't an option.

Oh well, UK Cortana it is for now.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Sadly for me personally, the thing that's still missing from any Cortana regions is a setting for transit preferences. I don't need to know how long it takes to drive to get to work or an appointment. I take Transit everywhere or walk, and that still isn't an option.

Oh well, UK Cortana it is for now.

Not sure if this helps
If you open up Cortana and go to interests, tap on the getting around icon that appears, from the next screen you can change it from Driving to using Public Transport

Not tried this option so unsure how it works

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this helps
If you open up Cortana and go to interests, tap on the getting around icon that appears, from the next screen you can change it from Driving to using Public Transport

Not tried this option so unsure how it works

Is this under adding a new Interest? I'd love to try this out if my "choose a category" screen wasn't blank.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro