10-18-2014 11:30 AM
183 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I like that it can read texts to me, even responding to my voice when I'm upstairs and my phone is downstairs. It's a necessary feature in this arms race, looking forward to using it more.
    08-07-2014 07:56 AM
    The voice dealing with text messages is far better today, emotion in the voice and not at all robotic, if they manage that across the system it will be great !

However getting directions is a nightmare ! Large cities and it seems ok, but try small ones or names like Broughton-in-furness and anything can happen! Usually it ignores the first part and points me to Furness nr Edmonton in Canada, with a message saying "I dont think you can get there by car"

So I added Broughton in Furness to my Favourite places ... and tried a few nicknames...all to no avail, seems like it isnt scanning favourites as yet !

Chit chat is now working good though, I look forward to seeing what else comes in the coming weeks or so
    08-07-2014 08:28 AM
    Cortana UK is as good as that of the US. In fact, for me it's even better. Before I switched to the UK Cortana, error code was always returned whenever i requested for alarm to be set, but now it's done perfectly well. The only difference i noticed is with regards to Bing search on countries and some personalities. The US Cortana usually produces a synopsis on the profile of the countries or personalities, with more details when you swipe the screen horizontally.i think that's the only feature i miss for now.
    08-07-2014 08:51 AM
    Hmmmm, I just got the update on 1020 UK Vodafone, but theres no Cortana anywhere!

Region is UK
    Language is English (UK)

Am I missing something?
    08-07-2014 02:42 PM
    Don't be so polite, just say 'Remind me to ...'
    Asking 'Please remind me.. ' may cause her confuse with 'Play xxx'
    Just a suggestion
    08-07-2014 05:14 PM
    Hmmmm, I just got the update on 1020 UK Vodafone, but theres no Cortana anywhere!

Region is UK
    Language is English (UK)

Am I missing something?
    Check if your speech settings are set to UK english.
    Great deal likes this.
    08-07-2014 09:18 PM

Region is UK
    Language is English (UK)

Am I missing something?
    Probably not the 8.1.1 update as if its from Vodafone it will be the 8.1 cyan update. Update 1 is only on dv at present
    Great deal likes this.
    08-08-2014 01:53 PM
    Probably not the 8.1.1 update as if its from Vodafone it will be the 8.1 cyan update. Update 1 is only on dv at present
    Ok so Cortana in the UK is only available on the Developers Preview? If so then I guess I have to wait for the official release.
    08-08-2014 02:01 PM
    Yes sir you have to have the 8.1.1 (8.1 update 1) to get it. I have had a 930 for a few weeks and had no Cortana until the update 1 was pug on. Just wondering though but what's putting you off the dp?
    Great deal likes this.
    08-08-2014 02:31 PM
    I have to admit though, Cortana has had some quite spectacular fails...

Chemilinski likes this.
    08-08-2014 05:37 PM
    Yes sir you have to have the 8.1.1 (8.1 update 1) to get it. I have had a 930 for a few weeks and had no Cortana until the update 1 was pug on. Just wondering though but what's putting you off the dp?
    Couple of things really, first I font want to deal with unfinished software, it just annoys me, id rather wait for it, its not the end of the world to wait. Im also focussed on getting a lot done and don't have time to waste on things like flashing ROMs to roll back so I can get 8.1. Im learning C# to make apps for WP and as soon as im up to speed then I will have a dedicated handset with the DP. right now I cant be bothered with the hassle.

After I got 8.1 I changed the region and language and saw Cortana, however there was no sound at all which was strange, i just rolled back to my region rather than waste an hour trying to find the cause. Life's too short!
    08-09-2014 06:42 AM
    Very impressed with location reminders

Decided to try added a couple today for when I went into the town, as soon as I walked passed the shops up popped a reminder

Worked really well
    08-09-2014 06:51 AM
    I've had a mainly positive experience with Cortana, my only niggle so far is her defaulting to MOM, I'm not in the States nor in an area of the Black Country so I say MUM.

She's plays selected music on demand, for the most part understands a lot of the music, only getting one song wrong when tested and that was cause it was from a obscure Japanese group.

Had a fail when I asked where am I when I was at my mothers, it thought I was 7 houses up the street, so didn't give a messages to me when I'd set it to remind me to do something when I got to mums. So hopefully it'll get better.

The way I see it, if she's like this now, how great is she going to be when officially released in November?!?!

Just my pennies worth on the subject.

G.
    Chris Sandiford likes this.
    08-10-2014 03:33 PM
    I also observe that she hardly recognizes WhatsApp. When you say "open WhatsApp", she mostly ends up opening an app that's not related to WhatsApp in pronunciation; at a point, she opened internet settings
    08-10-2014 04:25 PM
    Has anyone else noticed the UK Cortana has stopped doing impressions? She just does a Bing search now, whereas before she would at least attempt doing them...!
    08-11-2014 05:08 AM
    Has anyone else noticed the UK Cortana has stopped doing impressions? She just does a Bing search now, whereas before she would at least attempt doing them...!
    Yes. Some bits and pieces stopped working on the US version of Cortana a few months ago, turns out it was a side effect of updates on the server. Hopefully it's a sign of changes being made.
    08-11-2014 10:18 AM
    How to enable Cortana without Update 1? Is there any possible way I can do that? Or anyone here with HTC phone that didn't get Update 1 has Cortana?
    08-11-2014 02:37 PM
    It worked about a week ago, so recently when I tried showing it off to my friends it didn't work. Now it's even harder to convince my friends to get Windows Phone.
    08-11-2014 02:44 PM
    Anyone find the live tile for UK Cortana is less active?

On US I would get updates on it for travel time to home or work, as well as the weather along with standard headlines.

Now I only seem to get headlines, and it's not unusual to just get the pulsing circle doing nothing much else for long periods
    08-11-2014 04:34 PM
    Cortana hasn't started telling me about my commute but Nursery, work and home are all in my favourite places after adding them manually. However it's only been about a week now, maybe 6 days so hopefully in the next few days I'll start getting the prompts. I'm just a bit worried that because the signal at work is terrible it will have an impact on Cortana and the population of the notebook.
    08-12-2014 03:32 AM
    Try setting a location reminder for Lidl (the supermarket).
    No chance - it's "little" every time and complete failure.
    Lidl need to change their name.

TBH it's little more than a gimmick at the moment and I don't like the "Yay! It's Chris!" greeting either.
    08-12-2014 05:06 AM
    Lidl works perfectly ok for me when I type it into the phone. When setting a location, I can type "nearest lidl" or "<town name> lidl" and it gets it right away.
    08-12-2014 05:37 AM
    Well of course it will work when typing it. I'm talking about Cortana here and voice commands. Ask it to find one and I get Little Chefs in Bing.
    08-12-2014 06:02 AM
    Had a fail yesterday, setup the nearest Sainsburys in My Places. Then asked to be reminded to get milk next time I'm at Sainsburys. Easy enough...

Got to the store tried walking up and down every aisle, at no point did it prompt me.

So now it doesn't work at Sainsburys, nor my partners workplace, nor my mum's house (thinks her house is 7 doors up) - maybe I should try that house to see if it'll work then? LOL

Other then not knowing where she is, still mainly positive for me... MS obviously need to update their maps...

G.
    08-12-2014 06:43 AM
    That maybe due to the location info.
    When I'm at work and it uses mast triangulation it puts me miles away (due to only 1 mast close by), GPS puts me where I am, but I doubt if Cortana looks at that, too much battery drain?

I have to 'correct' my home position, I live at 64 but I have to tell it 46 then it's spot on. It's not just a WP issue more due to how positioning works IMO.
    08-12-2014 07:13 AM
183 ... 34567 ...