Your UK Experience of Cortana

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
She sounds awful, even when she's on par with the U.S. version its not going to be the same ever! Microsoft all I can say is 99% of British people don't talk like your cortana for uk sorry.

I lol'd.

As far as I'm concerned Cortana does everything I used the US version for (mostly reminders and playing music playlists) except now the voice recognition is vastly improved, understanding natural voice speed almost perfectly. Also Cortana now sounds like Lara Croft, which I have no complaints about. =P

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Chitchat doesn't work, neither does asking about the weather. Basically, MSFT haven't enabled half the stuff that makes Cortana, Cortana.

Until she's on par with her American version, I refuse to use her.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
At first she was only throwing up bing searches, but I just reset her (turned her off and on again including phone restart) and she is now chatty, tells jokes etc. Voice is OK for me, voice recognition is excellent!

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Still no chit chat for me with the english Cortana. Only thing working is asking weather stuff. Also my add interests page is still empty.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Still no chit chat for me with the english Cortana. Only thing working is asking weather stuff. Also my add interests page is still empty.

There is no English Cortana, she's for all of us on this island, I'm afraid, and for a few on the next island across, too.

The voice is terrible, but she can at least pronounce the town where I live (in Wales) now, so I'm pleased about that. Unfortunately, even though some other local towns show in Cortana's text correctly when I speak them, she tells me she didn't get that. There's definitely an improvement over Cortana US though.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
At first she was only throwing up bing searches, but I just reset her (turned her off and on again including phone restart) and she is now chatty, tells jokes etc. Voice is OK for me, voice recognition is excellent!

Gave this a go but after nearly 24 hours still no chit chat. Am loathe to do a hard reset to get her to behave.

anyone else have any bright ideas at all?

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's all done back-end isn't it, with services rolled out to users in waves? I'd just wait.

I realise that just surprised as Marcus tweeted that roll-out was complete that still not getting basics like interests.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I realise that just surprised as Marcus tweeted that roll-out was complete that still not getting basics like interests.

Ah, I see. Perhaps Cortana's just having a bad day at the office. She's not exactly perky. I keep expecting her to cry.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
How long till she gets time off on compassionate leave for stress? :p

Quite soon, judging by her voice when I ask her to find Llandudno ("planted know") and Llanelli ("plan Ashley") for the twentieth time. I hope this isn't what Microsoft meant when they said they wanted to make her more human. She does seem human, but I get the feeling I hired the wrong girl.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
working much better than yesterday, getting lots of responses now

the only poor thing for me is how she uses American spelling instead of uk spelling

I asked her to remind me to check map favourites, she added this as a reminder but had favorites instead of favourites
I asked her to spell centre, she did a search for center

little things which hopefully will be fixed as its a beta, but these are basics which I would have thought would be correct at the start

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
She can't say MUM only MOM! I said call MUM, she tried searching for MOM even though there is a contact called mum! Have commented it on the Cortana app feedback form so hopefully it'll be fixed very soon!

Other then that all looks fine in UK English so far...

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
She can't say MUM only MOM! I said call MUM, she tried searching for MOM even though there is a contact called mum! Have commented it on the Cortana app feedback form so hopefully it'll be fixed very soon!

Other then that all looks fine in UK English so far...

I noticed that one also

Set up Mum as a nickname
said text mum, comes up with text mom, don't know who mom is

sure it will be fixed at latest before general release

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Seems that despite the hype, Cortana is just Bing voice search with a name? I was hoping at least to be able to ask it the time and get it spoken back to me over my Bluetooth headset, but even asking the time just results in a Bing search. Seems useless to me.

I really don't understand why it's taken so much development time to add an animated circle logo to the top of Bing search. Someone is going to get a very poor performance review at MS this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs