Your UK Experience of Cortana

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Switch Cortana off in Cortana settings, restart device, switch Cortana back on, this should resolve some issues, I tried it when using US Cortana and it helped greatly

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Switch Cortana off in Cortana settings, restart device, switch Cortana back on, this should resolve some issues, I tried it when using US Cortana and it helped greatly

Tried that a couple of times with no success unfortunately. Guessing something else must be wrong server side.

Lets see how the day pans out and whether Marcus responds to my tweet

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
now the voice recognition is vastly improved, understanding natural voice speed almost perfectly.
That's one thing I've noticed, the recognition is excellent. I gave up with voice on Android (both Google & Samsung versions) as it wouldn't recognise my voice, I'd say "phone Jane" and it would keep telling me "I cannot find James in your contacts".

Cortana is perfect, even though a lot of real people find it hard to understand me!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The voice recognition is good, but it was good in Bing voice search before they called it Cortana. I just don't see what the animated circle adds to the feature. Does just what it always did but collects more info about you to pass back to MS. Is that the only point of Cortana? To collect commercially useful info?

No wonder none of the TV ads mention Cortana. It saves embarrassment.

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
It's working better but I'm really not keen on the voice. It just feels like MS watched Mary Poppins and thought that's how we all sound. Some features are missing too and I thought that we'd see more sports options and teams that are relevant to the UK. I want to be able to see certain tennis players or football teams that aren't in the premier league but there's nothing there. It seems like very little has changed for the UK market.

Mac182

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1020 and a 720. On the 1020 Cortana won't add interests, do impressions. On the 720 it's all working. On the 720 I did a hard reset after installing GDR 1. I did not with the 1020.

Any ideas? I was going to reset the 1020 when cyan was released. May have to do it sooner

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Seems that despite the hype, Cortana is just Bing voice search with a name? I was hoping at least to be able to ask it the time and get it spoken back to me over my Bluetooth headset, but even asking the time just results in a Bing search. Seems useless to me.

I really don't understand why it's taken so much development time to add an animated circle logo to the top of Bing search. Someone is going to get a very poor performance review at MS this year.

Someone needs to read the tweets by Marcus Ash that someone posted above!!!

The Dude66

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Here to an 925 that works fine on Cortona UK, while speaking you see it picks up my text, my 930 doesn't show my spoken text (show Thinking) ans just spits out Bing search results. Will check my 1520 and 920 too.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
UK Cortana sucks! All "she" gives is web search results, there is zero personality to "her". Anyone who says "she" is fine hasn't tried the US version. Microsoft needs to either put a proper actress on it full time or let us pick Jen Taylor, this is a disgrace really.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

The Dude66

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Setup my 1520 for Cortona UK, which works, my 920 doesn't ..lot's of Listening and Thinking, always replying with Sorry, I didn't catch that. Looking at the other responses it really depends what Lumia you have. Still, the US version of Cortona advanced a lot compared to our Beta.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
The voice is purely speech synthesis by the sound of it at the moment. The responses have improved in 24 hours though - less Bing returns.
I asked to be reminded to do something when I got to work though and that never happened, it doesn't seem to know my wife's birthday "I have nothing for wife ' s birthday" it says, I can't "text my wife" either because it can't find her yet she's listed as my wife in the inner circle.

Jokes work now though - and this is probably the funniest thing I've seen - I asked it to tell me a story...

wp_ss_20140805_0001.jpg

norville2

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Only just realise that i have it on my Nokia Lumia 1020 here in the uk, love it for the quiet hours and the remind me, they work well, now it is just a case of training it i suppose to the english accent.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Can you change the default reminder tone? That maybe why I missed my reminder this morning. I thought Cortina would speak to me rather than bleep.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
UK Cortana sucks! All "she" gives is web search results, there is zero personality to "her". Anyone who says "she" is fine hasn't tried the US version. Microsoft needs to either put a proper actress on it full time or let us pick Jen Taylor, this is a disgrace really.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Someone else who needs to look up Marcus Ash on Twitter ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb