Your UK Experience of Cortana

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Try setting a location reminder for Lidl (the supermarket).
No chance - it's "little" every time and complete failure.
Lidl need to change their name.

TBH it's little more than a gimmick at the moment and I don't like the "Yay! It's Chris!" greeting either.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lidl works perfectly ok for me when I type it into the phone. When setting a location, I can type "nearest lidl" or "<town name> lidl" and it gets it right away.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Had a fail yesterday, setup the nearest Sainsburys in My Places. Then asked to be reminded to get milk next time I'm at Sainsburys. Easy enough...

Got to the store tried walking up and down every aisle, at no point did it prompt me.

So now it doesn't work at Sainsburys, nor my partners workplace, nor my mum's house (thinks her house is 7 doors up) - maybe I should try that house to see if it'll work then? LOL

Other then not knowing where she is, still mainly positive for me... MS obviously need to update their maps...

G.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
That maybe due to the location info.
When I'm at work and it uses mast triangulation it puts me miles away (due to only 1 mast close by), GPS puts me where I am, but I doubt if Cortana looks at that, too much battery drain?

I have to 'correct' my home position, I live at 64 but I have to tell it 46 then it's spot on. It's not just a WP issue more due to how positioning works IMO.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Try setting a location reminder for Lidl (the supermarket).
No chance - it's "little" every time and complete failure.
Lidl need to change their name.

TBH it's little more than a gimmick at the moment and I don't like the "Yay! It's Chris!" greeting either.

Are you saying it right? Officially it's pronounced Lie Del. I've always said Lidel, but perhaps it's not working is because Cortana doesn't know the pronunciation. Goes the other way as well, if you are saying it the proper way, Cortana maybe expecting it to sound how it reads?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On another note, when I open Cortana now, she tells me the route and travel time to my home location. She never did that before.

Interestingly, the Cortana app tells me this in miles, but the Live tile has the distance in Km.

New animation seems to have appeared on the live tile as well - little pulses turn into big pulses before the tile flips.

Simmie Vale

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
She's doing quite good. Not the most chatty but I haven't really used that function. I love the ability to set a reminder for when I get home etc.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Whoop. I got a reminder this morning to leave for work.

Shame I only noticed it when I got to my desk...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi can anybody help Cortana not giving me traffic info for any or my calender events or work all are set in interests thanks

It comes with time, I think. I got my commute overview pop up a day or so ago, and only got the reminder to go to work this morning. I think Cortana takes a while to track your activity, and there's also back end server functionality to support this.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
More of a big city thing rather than UK-specific I guess, but I really don't rate the "nearby places" feature. Just because I live in South East London, I get "hey! Maybe you'll like... THE TOWER OF LONDON SIX MILES AWAY" rather than anything more relevant or closer to home. As soon as you get within ten miles of Central London, it assumes you're a tourist. It'd be nice to be able to set the radius so it only shows stuff that is actually nearby!

liquidphantom

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
You know thinking about it, I could do without Jen Taylor, if they bring in Keely Hawes to voice the UK version.

Who better than Lara Croft to push Cortana to one side? :)

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
If I ask her to show me some nearby places (restaurants, bars, pubs etc) she is just performing a Bing search. However she does display some nearby places from Foursquare.

coler217

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I use Cortana a lot, the UK voice is that bad for me I have changed all my phone settings and languages to united states to get Cortana aka Jen Taylor. Love the American version just wish she'd understand UK accent better hate the UK version. No personality and the voice is droning, reminds me of the wife nagging in my ear!! Get a grip Microsoft!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos