Cortana as a contact on bluetooth kit in the car

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed that cortana now shows up as contact in my car's bluetooth phone book. Just call cortana, and it will start listening. Finally I can use cortana when I really need it. It is amazing, no more touching the phone.

Attachments

• WP_20140804_13_00_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140804_13_00_21_Pro.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 11

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
trying that when i go to lunch. The only issue is that for me, ALL LUMIAS I have tried will not transfer their phonebook to my car. all other brands of WP did with no issue, just not the Nokias. Hopefully it plays nice now...

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully this time it works for you. I am lucky I guess cause I never had an issue with this.
trying that when i go to lunch. The only issue is that for me, ALL LUMIAS I have tried will not transfer their phonebook to my car. all other brands of WP did with no issue, just not the Nokias. Hopefully it plays nice now...

Private Nemesis

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I saw this on the net but I'm puzzled cause my hands free kit activates Cortana naturally and always has..,
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed that cortana now shows up as contact in my car's bluetooth phone book. Just call cortana, and it will start listening. Finally I can use cortana when I really need it. It is amazing, no more touching the phone.

which version of os u are preview or official wp8.1...which country?

parksy78

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking for this information. My uk Vauxhall Astra doesn't allow me to activate voice/cortana. I'll try it later hopefully Cortana will show up in the car phone book. I really need this feature as my car Bluetooth is useless otherwise.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I wanted this feature badly too, cause I couldn't really user Cortana, but now I can.
I've been looking for this information. My uk Vauxhall Astra doesn't allow me to activate voice/cortana. I'll try it later hopefully Cortana will show up in the car phone book. I really need this feature as my car Bluetooth is useless otherwise.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes that is correct, wp 8.1 update 1. I have been looking for this feature since the day it was announced, but never saw it until yesterday. Cause my understanding was Cortana updates happen in the backend and phone doesn't require updating. But could have been different in this case. Are you not seeing it?
are u in latest wp8.1 update 1 yesterday rolled out .?

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's just that a mod moved this thread (and the other thread, too) to Cortana forums, while this was correctly posted as a GDR1 feature. Side note: It's not even neccessarily related to Cortana as you would have a dialer entry "Speech", if you disable Cortana/are on a region with no Cortana available.

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes that is correct, wp 8.1 update 1. I have been looking for this feature since the day it was announced, but never saw it until yesterday. Cause my understanding was Cortana updates happen in the backend and phone doesn't require updating. But could have been different in this case. Are you not seeing it?

😢😢 i am still in WP8 no cyan and wp8.1 yet for my phone India...i thought that with cyan update i could get the Bluetooth function....now i have to wait for wp8.1 update 1 rollout...it may happen only next year...even cyan update is not available 😠😠😠

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed also that Cortana's performance over bluetooth has been significantly improved too. In 8.1 when I activated her, it took about 3-4 seconds for the bluetooth speakers to realise it, and only then could I give commands, but now she is active pretty much immediately. Couple this with being able to finally use my steering wheel speech button to "speed redial" Cortana, and it's hugely useful now.

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed also that Cortana's performance over bluetooth has been significantly improved too. In 8.1 when I activated her, it took about 3-4 seconds for the bluetooth speakers to realise it, and only then could I give commands, but now she is active pretty much immediately. Couple this with being able to finally use my steering wheel speech button to "speed redial" Cortana, and it's hugely useful now.

i don't have a speech button in steering wheel then how would i activate...i am using a Sony touchscreen one ...

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
lum5:

Thing is, when you are over Bluetooth, Cortana automatically starts showing up in your contact list. So, if your car has the speed dial function (on steering wheel - the better), you can activate Cortana handsfree. The only reason she is there is to be activated handsfree (she also has a number - to mock calling someone). Some BT devices couldn't do this before, now, with this solution, they can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb