The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-12-2014 04:15 AM
31 12
tools
    I just noticed that cortana now shows up as contact in my car's bluetooth phone book. Just call cortana, and it will start listening. Finally I can use cortana when I really need it. It is amazing, no more touching the phone.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20140804_13_00_21_pro.jpg ย 
    WPit, lum5 and thaman04 like this.
    08-04-2014 12:32 PM
    Does that just show up on the car automatically or do you have to add it to the people hub somehow first?
    08-04-2014 12:46 PM
    trying that when i go to lunch. The only issue is that for me, ALL LUMIAS I have tried will not transfer their phonebook to my car. all other brands of WP did with no issue, just not the Nokias. Hopefully it plays nice now...
    08-04-2014 12:58 PM
    Does that just show up on the car automatically or do you have to add it to the people hub somehow first?
    Syncs with contacts automatically. Also won't show up on phone, just in the car :)
    Alienhead95 likes this.
    08-04-2014 01:39 PM
    Hopefully this time it works for you. I am lucky I guess cause I never had an issue with this.
    trying that when i go to lunch. The only issue is that for me, ALL LUMIAS I have tried will not transfer their phonebook to my car. all other brands of WP did with no issue, just not the Nokias. Hopefully it plays nice now...
    Tiaxx likes this.
    08-04-2014 02:08 PM
    I saw this on the net but I'm puzzled cause my hands free kit activates Cortana naturally and always has..,
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    08-04-2014 11:02 PM
    I just noticed that cortana now shows up as contact in my car's bluetooth phone book. Just call cortana, and it will start listening. Finally I can use cortana when I really need it. It is amazing, no more touching the phone.
    which version of os u are preview or official wp8.1...which country?
    08-05-2014 12:48 AM
    I've been looking for this information. My uk Vauxhall Astra doesn't allow me to activate voice/cortana. I'll try it later hopefully Cortana will show up in the car phone book. I really need this feature as my car Bluetooth is useless otherwise.
    08-05-2014 03:18 AM
    Developer preview, US.
    which version of os u are preview or official wp8.1...which country?
    lum5 likes this.
    08-05-2014 05:33 AM
    I wanted this feature badly too, cause I couldn't really user Cortana, but now I can.
    I've been looking for this information. My uk Vauxhall Astra doesn't allow me to activate voice/cortana. I'll try it later hopefully Cortana will show up in the car phone book. I really need this feature as my car Bluetooth is useless otherwise.
    08-05-2014 05:34 AM
    Developer preview, US.
    are u in latest wp8.1 update 1 yesterday rolled out .?
    08-05-2014 07:32 AM
    Yes that is correct, wp 8.1 update 1. I have been looking for this feature since the day it was announced, but never saw it until yesterday. Cause my understanding was Cortana updates happen in the backend and phone doesn't require updating. But could have been different in this case. Are you not seeing it?
    are u in latest wp8.1 update 1 yesterday rolled out .?
    08-05-2014 08:51 AM
    It's just that a mod moved this thread (and the other thread, too) to Cortana forums, while this was correctly posted as a GDR1 feature. Side note: It's not even neccessarily related to Cortana as you would have a dialer entry "Speech", if you disable Cortana/are on a region with no Cortana available.
    WPit likes this.
    08-05-2014 09:40 AM
    Never disabled cortana, so wouldnt know. Thanks for the info.
    08-05-2014 10:37 AM
    Never disabled cortana, so wouldnt know. Thanks for the info.
    Me neither, it's in the Docs ;)

Bluetooth FAQ for Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Notes:
    If you dont have Cortana on your phone, a contact named Speech is downloaded to the address book in your car instead. You can then tap the contact named Speech in your car to start Speech on your phone.
    08-05-2014 11:13 AM
    Yes that is correct, wp 8.1 update 1. I have been looking for this feature since the day it was announced, but never saw it until yesterday. Cause my understanding was Cortana updates happen in the backend and phone doesn't require updating. But could have been different in this case. Are you not seeing it?
    ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ข i am still in WP8 no cyan and wp8.1 yet for my phone India...i thought that with cyan update i could get the Bluetooth function....now i have to wait for wp8.1 update 1 rollout...it may happen only next year...even cyan update is not available ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 
    08-05-2014 11:26 AM
    I have noticed also that Cortana's performance over bluetooth has been significantly improved too. In 8.1 when I activated her, it took about 3-4 seconds for the bluetooth speakers to realise it, and only then could I give commands, but now she is active pretty much immediately. Couple this with being able to finally use my steering wheel speech button to "speed redial" Cortana, and it's hugely useful now.
    Tiaxx and WPit like this.
    08-05-2014 12:59 PM
    I have noticed also that Cortana's performance over bluetooth has been significantly improved too. In 8.1 when I activated her, it took about 3-4 seconds for the bluetooth speakers to realise it, and only then could I give commands, but now she is active pretty much immediately. Couple this with being able to finally use my steering wheel speech button to "speed redial" Cortana, and it's hugely useful now.
    i don't have a speech button in steering wheel then how would i activate...i am using a Sony touchscreen one ...
    08-05-2014 08:39 PM
    i don't have a speech button in steering wheel then how would i activate...i am using a Sony touchscreen one ...
    You probably have a button to dial a contact, push that and select "Cortana" from the phonebook.
    08-06-2014 03:36 AM
    lum5:

Thing is, when you are over Bluetooth, Cortana automatically starts showing up in your contact list. So, if your car has the speed dial function (on steering wheel - the better), you can activate Cortana handsfree. The only reason she is there is to be activated handsfree (she also has a number - to mock calling someone). Some BT devices couldn't do this before, now, with this solution, they can.
    08-06-2014 05:29 AM
    I wanted this feature badly too, cause I couldn't really user Cortana, but now I can.
    Me too, guys (most wanted feature for me! Many posts on subject)! I even submitted this to Cortana uservoice website. Finally! Working great! Feeling Joaquin Phoenix (well, not so much)! Lol! Thank you, Msoft!!!!
    Alienhead95 likes this.
    08-06-2014 05:44 AM
    And thank you for requesting this feature.
    Me too, guys (most wanted feature for me! Many posts on subject)! I even submitted this to Cortana uservoice website. Finally! Working great! Feeling Joaquin Phoenix (well, not so much)! Lol! Thank you, Msoft!!!!
    08-08-2014 07:50 PM
    I'm on 8.1, update 1, on a 1520 with Cyan. I have a Hyundai Sonata with hands free. Cortana did not show up in my contacts. I added a dummy contact and if I say "call Cortana", I can see it activate on the phone, but within a couple seconds, the sound source comes back on. I can't seem to give any command to Cortana by activating that way. I works fine if I just launch from the phone, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. Any ideas??
    08-08-2014 09:14 PM
    Did you try the advanced settings under Bluetooth, use an alternate....?
    I'm on 8.1, update 1, on a 1520 with Cyan. I have a Hyundai Sonata with hands free. Cortana did not show up in my contacts. I added a dummy contact and if I say "call Cortana", I can see it activate on the phone, but within a couple seconds, the sound source comes back on. I can't seem to give any command to Cortana by activating that way. I works fine if I just launch from the phone, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. Any ideas??
    08-09-2014 12:43 PM
    I tried again today and it worked. I didn't do anything different. I'm just glad it's working--cool feature.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
    08-09-2014 07:41 PM
31 12