Voice Activation

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
In idle thinking and a moment of total ridiculousness, I thought about a feature Cortana could have in the future. And upon having this thought, I thought about how incredibly lazy I am.
What if you could activate Cortana without touching the phone? In the settings you could turn on Voice Activation, and all you have to say is "Cortana: Next Song" or whatever it is.
Like with the Xbox(I assume that's still a thing)
Of course, I realize the failings already. You could accidentally activate Cortana.
Additionally, it's probably really battery draining. And most people wouldn't even think of trading their long battery life(using the 1520 as example) for a little bit of convenience.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
"Cortana" is an unusual name so if it were possible to use the given or some other odd device name then voice activation I think would be viable.
I'm betting "hands off" technology is bearing down on the smart device user even now.

If I remember correctly a quote from some years ago said:
"If a human has thought of it...it probably exists."

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
In idle thinking and a moment of total ridiculousness, I thought about a feature Cortana could have in the future. And upon having this thought, I thought about how incredibly lazy I am.
What if you could activate Cortana without touching the phone? In the settings you could turn on Voice Activation, and all you have to say is "Cortana: Next Song" or whatever it is.
Like with the Xbox(I assume that's still a thing)
Of course, I realize the failings already. You could accidentally activate Cortana.
Additionally, it's probably really battery draining. And most people wouldn't even think of trading their long battery life(using the 1520 as example) for a little bit of convenience.

Not sure if you were the one who replied to my comment in that article earlier.....

But yes I agree, passive activation would be useful.

Google has basically implemented this feat already in their Google Now/Voice app since KitKat and Apple has implemented this with Siri ....while plugged in of course to conserve battery.

For anyone who disagrees about this feat...then you probably don't own a Xbox One and/or use the passive activation on it. Like I stated in the WPC article...the convenience factor alone is what makes this feat a good idea.

As a casual gamer, there are times that I want to use my Xbox for just other entertainment (Netflix/Music...) where picking up the controller is not really necessary in these situations...so ultimately with passive activation, it serves the purpose here.

The same applies to the phone...

In the car (for the people who don't have fancy stereo systems with BT and/or have PoS cars because they are in debt from student loans.)

While wanting to listen to music when you're across the room installing Google Ultron on all the computers in a university/college classroom. Lol I work in IT at a university...I get bored....

Other scenarios....

While in the shower listening to music...

You get the point....

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree. I really like the idea of passive voice activation. Just because we're all lazy idiots. I hope that becomes a thing. And you're right it would work. Unless you're playing Halo, and the TV is turned up. Haha.

mobster011

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
For anyone who disagrees about this feat...then you probably don't own a Xbox One and/or use the passive activation on it. Like I stated in the WPC article...the convenience factor alone is what makes this feat a good idea.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Using the passive activation on Xbox One is a feature that you'll never want to be without once you realize its convenience. This could easily be implemented in Cortana with the same ease and convenience.

Cant wait for this to happen!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo