The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-31-2015 12:17 PM
39 12
tools
    Compared to the USA version, she is rather rubbish. Interests that show up when I switch to the US vanish when I swap to the UK
    11-18-2014 03:44 PM
    Compared to the USA version, she is rather rubbish. Interests that show up when I switch to the US vanish when I swap to the UK
    Because some interests are region specific and others aren't, which ones disappear?
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-18-2014 03:53 PM
    Because some interests are region specific and others aren't, which ones disappear?
    Like Windows phone, IOS, Android, avengers? They show up fine in MSN news
    Only Iraq stayed :|
    11-18-2014 06:02 PM
    So can't you just add more interests, not the hardest thing in the world to do.
    11-18-2014 07:07 PM
    Works not bad for me - also in the UK. Knows my wifes (when setup correctly) name. Certain is pretty slow at learning my 'routines' and I never expected her to work as well as the US version. Other comparable systems (Google and Siri) are the same.
    11-19-2014 02:08 AM
    So can't you just add more interests, not the hardest thing in the world to do.
    But...when I'm interested in THOSE specifically. They show up in the interests pane, but not on the dashboard.
    Edit: Also, several apps that are Cortana enabled when I switch to US don't show up in the UK(even if they used the old Tell Me functionality)
    11-19-2014 03:15 AM
    At least you have Cortana. The other parts of Europe have Nada. :p
    I don't even have simple speech recognition.
    11-19-2014 04:29 AM
    Like Windows phone, IOS, Android, avengers? They show up fine in MSN news
    Only Iraq stayed :|
    Then you need to add them as specific news items, they don't show up as interests.
    11-19-2014 07:04 AM
    Then you need to add them as specific news items, they don't show up as interests.
    That's what I meant. News Items are added to your interests you know
    11-19-2014 01:05 PM
    I added "Xbox" (and "Windows Phone") under the "news" section, it has the "Articles about xbox" enabled and the "Notify me where are new stories" checked but I've only once had anything appear on the Cortana dashboard.

​Any ideas please?
    12-08-2014 04:50 PM
    Exactly how I feel, especially the last part. I would guess that most people haven't actually been through the initial setup for Cortana which is why they think it's "crap" and a "disappointment" in the UK.
    No its because Cortana UK is still crap a year later. Nothing I enable or fiddle has improved her. She just sits there doing nothing.

I'd love "Time to leave" to work but it doesn't. Yes everything possible is enabled. In any case, if you are selling this on TV, it should be intuitive to anyone.
    12-23-2015 05:34 AM
    No its because Cortana UK is still crap a year later. Nothing I enable or fiddle has improved her. She just sits there doing nothing.

I'd love "Time to leave" to work but it doesn't. Yes everything possible is enabled. In any case, if you are selling this on TV, it should be intuitive to anyone.
    You're stating that as if it's fact, I have no issues with Cortana here in the UK on either WP8.1 or Windows 10. That doesn't mean that others have no issues, give me specifics about what isn't working and I can help but just saying Cortana is "crap" in the UK doesn't help. The only notifications I get on Windows 10 are for football results, everything else just shows on the Live Tile.

Cortana did have issues here in the UK when Windows 10 launched but those should be fixed now, it might also be that because I use Windows Phone the settings were pulled in automatically for me which is why I had no issues.
    Last edited by neo158; 12-23-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    12-23-2015 05:52 AM
    You're stating that as if it's fact, I have no issues with Cortana here in the UK on either WP8.1 or Windows 10. That doesn't mean that others have no issues, give me specifics about what isn't working and I can help but just saying Cortana is "crap" in the UK doesn't help. The only notifications I get on Windows 10 are for football results, everything else just shows on the Live Tile.

I can't get "hey Cortana" to work properly on my Lumia 950 (running latest W10 slow insider). I can't work out if this is hardware or software related but it's definitely a lot poorer than it was on my 1520 running 8.1

I've gone through the learn my voice process about a dozen times and still cannot get the phone to wake from sleep mode when I say (and eventually shout) hey Cortana. This was something my 1520 handled well, and something I used several times a day to set reminders.

Regardless of whether it's hardware or software, it still feels like a step in the wrong direction.

I'm going to create a separate post to see if other 950 users are having similar issues....maybe there's a fix to be found in the community

Cortana did have issues here in the UK when Windows 10 launched but those should be fixed now, it might also be that because I use Windows Phone the settings were pulled in automatically for me which is why I had no issues.
    12-29-2015 03:09 AM

My issue(s) is that she has been advertised on TV to tell me when to leave for an appointment. If it's on TV it must mean its easy to set up. She sometimes tells me when to leave for work, but not every time. How can you rely on an intermittent assistant?

Is the "leave now" function reliant on it being a business appointment? The ads and web promotional stuff don't qualify, so I assume its any appointment I add to my calendar - you can't add reminders in Cortana that use a time WITH a location, so calendar is the only place to set this up. Yes I have places set as Favorites in Maps. But it still doesn't work as promoted. And that is why i say "crap".

Should flight checking work in the UK? It never has for me yet. If she scans email for flight numbers that suggests this service is automated. Correct?

Cortana is promoted in such a way to suggest she is intuitive but I see very little evidence.

I joined Insider recently and upgraded to Win10, just to see if Cortana works better, but i get the same lack of dependability that I have already described.

Sorry, I want to love Cortana but so far she is a big disappointment.

If you think I can be redeemed, you are welcome to try 😊
    12-31-2015 12:17 PM
39 12