A Possible fix for Cortana with no Chit Chat or interests.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
hello guys, i've been trying this, but with no results. Maybe because i am not actually in the uk, i live in Argentina (south america) but the thing is that if i write something, like "hello cortana" she answers me, but if i talk to the cell, she always say "i'm sorry, i didn't catch that" and i talk loud and clear... i already follow this post step by step, but... no results. any thoughts?

That's exactly what I get

TripleHelix192

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I went from 8.1 US Cortana to 8.1 Update preview and changed over to Australian Cortana. Could not get her to work. Tried this, and she works now!
I defiantly think it may be caused by local data. Clearing it and starting again worked for me fine!

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Live in UK on L930. I have done the settings in OP and now cortana only brings back bing results and does not talk at all.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It may be a local but i need to add that I rolled back to 8.0 to get the Cyan update and 8.1 through normal release (mainly did it so i could get VVM on O2) then went back onto the DP builds.

So when Update 1 was issued i had a phone on a technically clean slate. It may have, however, bought down something stored in the cloud based profile that has then caused the issue to occur. Which once the cache was cleared and Cortana re-initialised disposed of whatever may have been pulled down previously.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
hello guys, i've been trying this, but with no results. Maybe because i am not actually in the uk, i live in Argentina (south america) but the thing is that if i write something, like "hello cortana" she answers me, but if i talk to the cell, she always say "i'm sorry, i didn't catch that" and i talk loud and clear... i already follow this post step by step, but... no results. any thoughts?

Are you trying to use the UK or US Cortana?

Double check that all your settings match according to the table in my second post and ensure that the language pack has downloaded and is set as the top most language as desribed above. it would then be worth restarting the phone trying the steps again and seeing what happens.

also it can be worth in the speech settings setting it to US you'll then see a check box that says "Improve recognition for non-native speakers" it may be worth checking or unchecking it depending on it's state when you get to it and then switching back to your language.

bologni

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
hey mikey thanx for your answers, but i still can't get cortana work properly. Maybe because my microsoft account (outlook.com) was set to the US. But i've already change that. So, no cortana for me. But maybe somebody help that info! Thanx!

bologni

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, me again.
Now im stuck at step 4.
When i'm in the "us" the phone recognize everything i said, but no cortana, when i put everything to UK, i have cortana, but don't recognize nothing, but if i type, yes. enough for me, bye cortana! thanx for your support mikey!

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, me again.
Now im stuck at step 4.
When i'm in the "us" the phone recognize everything i said, but no cortana, when i put everything to UK, i have cortana, but don't recognize nothing, but if i type, yes. enough for me, bye cortana! thanx for your support mikey!

Yeah I gave up n just used US for the full Cortana experience until Microsoft fix this issue

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, me again.
Now im stuck at step 4.

Sorry it's a bit of a late reply but just one thing you may want to check.

Set the speech to US and make sure the "Improve recognition for non-native speakers" box is unchecked then switch back.

I had a play with this setting yesterday and with the option on and speech then set to UK, Cortana refused to listen to me. As soon as i turned it back off and went to UK she started listening again.

bologni

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
OMG!!!! MIKEEE!!! THANXXX
lol

my god, this was really frustrating, but... but... now i have a fully working Cortana! that was the thing, i had to uncheck the non-native box first!

Thank you for your answers Mike, someday i'll invite you a beer! hehehe thank you!

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
OMG!!!! MIKEEE!!! THANXXX
lol

my god, this was really frustrating, but... but... now i have a fully working Cortana! that was the thing, i had to uncheck the non-native box first!

Thank you for your answers Mike, someday i'll invite you a beer! hehehe thank you!

Glad it worked. I'll hold ya to that beer. :cool:

Now if only Microsoft saw this and offered me a job :p

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

That's exactly what I get

Ditto So the solution was to change it all back to US. If the speech setting is UK it doesnt work at all. If I change it to US it was Puckin ferfectly ;) :D

I went from 8.1 US Cortana to 8.1 Update preview and changed over to Australian Cortana. Could not get her to work. Tried this, and she works now!
I defiantly think it may be caused by local data. Clearing it and starting again worked for me fine!

Mr TripleHelix or OP can you please enlighten us on the "clean slate" theory. I would like to train up Cortana as an ozzie assistant not US or UK. I am running it on L1020 8.1(proper) with DP GDR1.

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you ... that fixed part of my problem with Cortana. I can now get Traffic Updates and Weather near me, which I could not turn on before. The thing that I still badly need and cannot get is Quiet Hours. In both Settings and Cortana I get a page that says: "To use Quiet Hours, you'll need to make sure Cortana is turned on, battery saver isn't conserving power at the moment, and Driving Mode isn't active. Go to Settings to make any needed changes.". Of course the phone wizards at Verizon had no clue what to do, and there is no help to be had at WindowsPhone.com. Any clues would be appreciated.

beershark

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Mikey,

That really helped - especially unticking the non-native English before going back to the UK.....

I am based in the UK and have been running Cortana with the US settings on my 925 and now 930. When Cortana was released for the UK I was excited about being able to have her here in the UK and correctly regionalised.

It took a while to get her working and on many occasions I had a few issues getting her going with interests and actually understanding any chit / chat - all she would do were the basic non-Cortana commands like CALL or TEXT which is where your article helped!

HOWEVER, the functions below DO NOT work on the UK region / Cortana but when I switch back to the US it does. I have reverted several times and resetting but no joy.

- "Do an impression" (Doesnt work in the UK region for me)
- "Track a flight" (Doesnt work in the UK region for me))
- Interests - in the UK it will only show UK Headlines, World Headlines and Entertainment Headlines. I have set "Windows Phone", "Porsche", "Surface Mini" under news interests and she returns NOTHING whilst in UK mode but a constant stream when switched to the US

Has anyone else got the same issues regarding "do an impression", "track flight" or other "interests" not showing up....?

I am really tempted to revert back to Jen in the US and suffer a slight lack of regionalisation and Fahrenheit ;)

I am running a Nokia 930, UK, EE with Update 1

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I FINALLY got her working but after all that it's a bit disappointing that she's shackled like that :(

Update- yeah it wasn't f#ckin worth the effort. She's shackled to the point of imbecility!!! I'm going back to US settings which I bet the majority of peeps are doing anyway n all Microsoft will be getting outta this is misrepresented/misinterpreted data. They should've just released a Beta in all English speaking regions and amassed a s#itload of data!!!

Last edited:

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
- Interests - in the UK it will only show UK Headlines, World Headlines and Entertainment Headlines. I have set "Windows Phone", "Porsche", "Surface Mini" under news interests and she returns NOTHING whilst in UK mode but a constant stream when switched to the US

Thats odd i have full functionality with interests etc. everything i add and change reflects that nad is updated quite regularly.

One thing to check and try is to go to bing.com and sign in then switch over to the US version. It'll then allow you to check your interest setup. Try changing something there and ensuring that it updates on Cortana on your phone.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Thats odd i have full functionality with interests etc. everything i add and change reflects that nad is updated quite regularly.

One thing to check and try is to go to bing.com and sign in then switch over to the US version. It'll then allow you to check your interest setup. Try changing something there and ensuring that it updates on Cortana on your phone.

After a few trial and errors, I decided to get out of PFD and get back to 8.1 and wait all over again for the GDR1. guess what!!!
I thought I will give it one more try and changed the Keyboard to ENG(UK) Language to ENG Aus, Country to AUS and reginal Format to Eng Aus.After all the restarts it said It doesn't speak my language. Then I changed the speech setting to ENG(UK) from US and it started working.

Surprisingly there is ENG (INDIA) and no English AUS even if eng is the first language and Aus along with IND is included in this trial.

Strange but it is working ok atm with occasional BING results (annoying). It would show bing results when you ask simple math calculation.

I will try your suggestions. Atleast she might get used to me even when the official GDR1 hits Aus. :)

P.S Also Mike in my previous post I had requested the clean slate theory. How do you work it. I dont have the option in your step 6 to delete local data. Just cant locate it!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel