A Possible fix for Cortana with no Chit Chat or interests.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
P.S Also Mike in my previous post I had requested the clean slate theory. How do you work it. I dont have the option in your step 6 to delete local data. Just cant locate it!!

Sorry for the delay in replying had last week off work and been playing catchup with everything.

Carrying on.....

It's not so much a clean slate for all of cortana/preferences. All it does is delete anything pertaining to cortana and your settings from the local cache on the phone. I'm guessing the option is there when switched off to help easily free up space if you weren't planning on using Cortana for whatever reason (every MB counts on a mobile device after all).

Suffice it to say in that clearing that cache you're forcing Cortana to fully download everything to do with her settings and your preferences from scratch. This then seems to clear up any issues with chat chat and interests not working as they should be.

As for the option to delete the local cache not being there it should be displayed in the location specified provided Cortana has been turned off and the handset restarted.

I can see you got the language and region settings right in the end. I have added a table in the second post outlining the correct settings needed to make Cortana work in the countries she is available in and will try to keep it up to date as more become available or change status from alpha to beta etc.

Also need to put this out there can anyone provide me with the correct settings for China and i will get that updated?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
On one of my spontaneous urges I just changed Cortana back to all Native Aussie settings bar Speech, which I set to UK n I retained everything without having to delete anything (if that makes sense). So I guess in saying that Microsoft have ironed out all the initial problems although Cortana now sounds robotic as opposed to Jens voice.
Sent from Lumia 930

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
On one of my spontaneous urges I just changed Cortana back to all Native Aussie settings bar Speech, which I set to UK n I retained everything without having to delete anything (if that makes sense). So I guess in saying that Microsoft have ironed out all the initial problems although Cortana now sounds robotic as opposed to Jens voice.
Sent from Lumia 930

I have to admit I am not too keen on the UK speech voice. Sometimes she sounds ok but she is still very robotic but that is being worked on. I really would like the option to use Jen as she sounded more normal even to me as a Brit

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit I am not too keen on the UK speech voice. Sometimes she sounds ok but she is still very robotic but that is being worked on. I really would like the option to use Jen as she sounded more normal even to me as a Brit

Yeah I don't know how long I'll be able to listen to that annoying voice lol it's not that I don't like UK voices, I just can't cop how robotic she sounds. Hopefully they'll remedy that quickly

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I don't know how long I'll be able to listen to that annoying voice lol it's not that I don't like UK voices, I just can't cop how robotic she sounds. Hopefully they'll remedy that quickly

I can handle the robotic stuff it just bugs me that very few people in this country speak in the way she does any more. That voice/dialect really is a minority thing here especially in London.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I can handle the robotic stuff it just bugs me that very few people in this country speak in the way she does any more. That voice/dialect really is a minority thing here especially in London.

I can't handle it much more bro lol she just isn't the same n like u said I really do hope they give us the choice. It might be ok wen she has full functionality but I can't get her to do impressions, tell me a story or any other funny stuff 😞

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in replying had last week off work and been playing catchup with everything.

Carrying on.....

It's not so much a clean slate for all of cortana/preferences. All it does is delete anything pertaining to cortana and your settings from the local cache on the phone. I'm guessing the option is there when switched off to help easily free up space if you weren't planning on using Cortana for whatever reason (every MB counts on a mobile device after all).

Suffice it to say in that clearing that cache you're forcing Cortana to fully download everything to do with her settings and your preferences from scratch. This then seems to clear up any issues with chat chat and interests not working as they should be.

As for the option to delete the local cache not being there it should be displayed in the location specified provided Cortana has been turned off and the handset restarted.

I can see you got the language and region settings right in the end. I have added a table in the second post outlining the correct settings needed to make Cortana work in the countries she is available in and will try to keep it up to date as more become available or change status from alpha to beta etc.

Also need to put this out there can anyone provide me with the correct settings for China and i will get that updated?

In the US speech settings unchecking the native users box somehow made cortana more responsive in the UK speech for me. I dont understand how that makes a difference as the check box was for US speech and not UK speech.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
In the US speech settings unchecking the native users box somehow made cortana more responsive in the UK speech for me. I dont understand how that makes a difference as the check box was for US speech and not UK speech.

Yeah i don't get that either but it makes a difference either way.

BOOMTING

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm running just 8.1/Cyan (so no PFD or anything) in the UK with my region and language settings set to the US. My Cortana doesn't ask me my name, or go through the initial questions... I've had to manually put in my name twice (when I first set her up, and just now following the instructions at the top of this thread), and nothing.

How do I fix it?

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm running just 8.1/Cyan (so no PFD or anything) in the UK with my region and language settings set to the US. My Cortana doesn't ask me my name, or go through the initial questions... I've had to manually put in my name twice (when I first set her up, and just now following the instructions at the top of this thread), and nothing.

How do I fix it?

Hey just playing catchup after the long weekend.

Just to confirm are the interests or chit-chat working normally?

anon8855939

May 15, 2014
Visit site
What were you expecting?

She doesn't really use your name at the moment. The only instance I am aware of is when asking her "Who am i?"

I don't know what are you taking about

ezu6are4.png
4asedy5y.png

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

brooza664

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
It's working now, thanks for the tip

It suddenly stopped working a week or two ago and since fixing it I've just realised it didn't have the British voice before

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I'll give the tips in the first post a go when I get home. Have played with US and UK voice settings on my Aus 930 so a purge and start over can't hurt. Agree on hoping there's a choice after the beta to pick which voice we want, I'd much rather the US voice, but retain our spelling etc.

Warren Poultney

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm a native English speaker working and living in China. Who can neither read or speak Chinese.

When Cortana initially took residence in my nokia Lumia 1520 then WP DP 8.1 now Cyan, she was fully functional as any beta could be. She was quite chatty, would tell me a joke (In English) Provide Weather Information (In English both Text & Spoken).

We would enjoy a good laugh when I jokingly would call her Siri or inquired of her her thoughts about Siri. Oh they were happy fun filled days.

But something got broken our relationship

Cortana no longer knows my name, or tells jokes when called on. Typically being redirected a bing search results (in Chinese). Though she gives me the weather forecast spoken in English she displays the accompanying text with days of the week and any additional information in Chinese Simplified.

She obviously doesn't care for all my phone language settings being set English

As of now, only other audible response I will get from her other than the weather; It's when I call her Siri, I get a spoken reply in Chinese. Which a local Chinese friend translated for me (loosely) "Perhaps you've lost your mind, I'm Cortana".

Perhaps, I jokingly called he Siri one too many times? I swear I had no idea it offended here this way.

She obviously doesn't care for all my phone language settings being set English.

Is there anyway for me to repair this once fruitful relationship?

In a nutshell: I have no Chinese language written or spoken. Cortana no longer responds since she officially rolled out in China. Search results, etc.I'm growing tired of the assumption that because I'm in China, with net access from China, therefore I must be Chinese. Right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05