Do you still have to change location to get UK Cortana

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Surely with a UK Cortana now out you wouldn't have to change location and other settings to US to see it would you.

Now have Cyan but no Cortana (Looked in Settings/Apps.

Bob

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
no you dont need to set us now, i am in uk with everything set to uk, i did have issues getting it at first, but i double checked every setting region / keyboard / language was uk and after a reboot it eventually worked - you may want to try this if still having issues

michael opara

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
No, you do not need to change region to get Cortana;
if you are on developers preview and have installed WP 8.1 "Update 1" you do not need to change your region BUT if you HAVE NOT updated to WP 8.1 update 1" (you are on WP 8.1 or Cyan) you sure need to set your region to U.S. To use Cortana.

To get Cortana, set your Language and Region to U.K. then restart.
Cheers.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
A few restarts later, did find I had one US (Keyboard or language) option as well as UK so got rid of that and done two restarts no luck, also updated my wife's 520 to Cyan, no Cortana on that either.

Bob

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
A few restarts later, did find I had one US (Keyboard or language) option as well as UK so got rid of that and done two restarts no luck, also updated my wife's 520 to Cyan, no Cortana on that either.

Bob

Needs Update 1 Preview if you want UK Cortana.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Give us a clue on that one then :straight:

They are both "Normal" phones on Cyan (Only just) and no developers preview.

Bob

Cortana is ONLY available on 8.1 GDR1 (Update 1)

There is no way to get GDR1 unless you wait a few months for it to be released to the public, or you install Preview for Developers app from the Store and enable the developer preview. It will allow you to get updates directly from Microsoft's servers and basically be apart of a pre-release of the update (fully functioning).

It isn't necessarily a beta release either as the 8.1 Preview ended up being the same as the actual public release. It has been rock solid for me so far on my Lumia 930 and having Cortana (despite currently having issues when using her with my phone set to UK region and speech but its not a common issue) is great as well as proper folder support.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for that reply, got to do a bit of thinking about this, just so much going on, just subscribed to Xbox Live Gold and took out a Music pass, several bits of kit to look after especially figuring out Xbox Music, so I might just wait for Cortana, well at least for a few weeks, but then I think I would rather have the finished product rather than a Beta, so may just wait full stop.

Bob

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for that reply, got to do a bit of thinking about this, just so much going on, just subscribed to Xbox Live Gold and took out a Music pass, several bits of kit to look after especially figuring out Xbox Music, so I might just wait for Cortana, well at least for a few weeks, but then I think I would rather have the finished product rather than a Beta, so may just wait full stop.

Bob

I don't think the GDR1 update will roll out to the general public (ie non-preview) for quite a while so I'd say you'd have plenty of time to sort stuff out. However, I don't know how long Cortana's beta tag will last, but if you don't want to use the service until such time it can be turned off no problem.

goalkick520

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Me I did like i install cyan and 8.1 after downgrade and the install DP to get gdr1 so this is my option so that I can have pre release of Microsoft OS with cyan with no problem and I have UK cortana

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Bob

The GDR1 isn't a Beta but just a way to get early access to what will most likely be the final build. There's no bugs that I have experienced so far.

P.s. Cortana will be in beta for quite awhile I reckon.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you are interested in what the UK version of Cortana sounds like Microsoft's Cortana (UK version) review - YouTube

I have to say I am not a fan of the posh & pompous accent, it makes my ears bleed every time I hear it. I have dealt with posh people before who actually sound like this (when spoken by a person I have no problem). But with this, I don't know but it just makes me cringe the same way when you hear chalk being scratched against a blackboard. - if I was to hazard a guess it would probably because my brain is not used to Cortana sounding like a posh royal lol (and probably is subconciously comparing it to Jen Taylor as well).

Others however might find it sassy and attractive.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If you are interested in what the UK version of Cortana sounds like Microsoft's Cortana (UK version) review - YouTube

I have to say I am not a fan of the posh & pompous accent, it makes my ears bleed every time I hear it. I have dealt with posh people before who actually sound like this (when spoken by a person I have no problem). But with this, I don't know but it just makes me cringe the same way when you hear chalk being scratched against a blackboard. - if I was to hazard a guess it would probably because my brain is not used to Cortana sounding like a posh royal lol (and probably is subconciously comparing it to Jen Taylor as well).

Others however might find it sassy and attractive.

Yea, no.... it's a no-go I'm afraid. Especially sounding like that, and that's without the comparison to Jen. Guess that's me definitely headed to Jolla in a couple of months then..

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Can't say the voice did ought for me like, canny lad (That's Geordie speak for you), and being a sarf Lundun lad I agree with the Geordie (People from Newcastle).

I think I am prepared to wait until they sort it out, although I reserve the right to change my mind at anytime :smile:

Bob

PS Got Xbox music figured out, only took me a morning, well add in a bit of the afternoon as well.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea, no.... it's a no-go I'm afraid. Especially sounding like that, and that's without the comparison to Jen. Guess that's me definitely headed to Jolla in a couple of months then..

I had a mini rant on the user voice post (linked in my signature), you may be able to work out which of the comments is mine lol.

Can't say the voice did ought for me like, canny lad (That's Geordie speak for you), and being a sarf Lundun lad I agree with the Geordie (People from Newcastle).

I think I am prepared to wait until they sort it out, although I reserve the right to change my mind at anytime :smile:

Bob

PS Got Xbox music figured out, only took me a morning, well add in a bit of the afternoon as well.

You might be waiting a while as UK Cortana got enabled in the GDR 1 update and good to hear you got xbox music figured out.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I had a mini rant on the user voice post (linked in my signature), you may be able to work out which of the comments is mine lol.

Aye it was a tad easy lol.. Shame there's no upvote for those comments. I totally agree though - I pretty much convinced a friend (who's a massive Halo fan) to ditch Android and come over to us on the Dark Side - now I've disappointed her by saying we get posh totty instead, with no sensible way of getting the voice we want. (Incidentally I don't deem changing regions and messing with other settings as a sensible method lol).

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Say, i have HTC 8X , and when ill get the GDR1update [if at all], may i install the UK version of cortana? since the US does not work.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Aye it was a tad easy lol.. Shame there's no upvote for those comments. I totally agree though - I pretty much convinced a friend (who's a massive Halo fan) to ditch Android and come over to us on the Dark Side - now I've disappointed her by saying we get posh totty instead, with no sensible way of getting the voice we want. (Incidentally I don't deem changing regions and messing with other settings as a sensible method lol).

Haha, same here I wouldn't say changing regions is a sensible work around either.. imagine having to explain that :eck: dreading what my fellow halo gamers will do to me when they find out. I might have to skip the country for good or risk having my face smashed in with apple pie :grincry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos