Not your usual Cortana question

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys/girls

I live in London, england

I have 8.1 and cyan

But I have region,keyboard and language set to American so I can have Cortana which I have installed on my phone.

When I go to updates will I still get an update for English Cortana or will I need to switch region and check updates?

Also I noticed when it comes to asking Cortana where the nearest pub is she comes up with the top 10 but its not in numerical order for miles (for instance 2 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles etc....)

She puts the top 10 result all over the place not listing it in order on the distance (2 miles, 6 miles, 3 miles, 1 miles,etc...) . Bit annoying but hey ho still beta I guess. Any help or feedback will be rewarded with a "like" and "thanks" to boost your score up.

Bruno Blanes

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
If you have it all set to American English, you'll still get updates for American Cortana. But if you recall it GDR1 brought you British Cortana, wouldn't you prefer her?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Untill I hear the accent of British Cortana I can't decide but will love to give it a shot. I have no problems having American settings to keep Cortana but just wanted to know if I will miss out on the English updates. But I want to switch to English settings so I can have apps in pounds and not dollars.

Bruno Blanes

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
If you do switch to British English and you're not enrolled on the developers preview you'll lose Cortana. If you're on WP8.1 Dev. Prev. just search for updates and install GDR1 (if you haven't already) so you can switch and have Cortana localized to England.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It's kind of important to support Cortana in your home region so that she can learn faster...

This. I just got the option to provide feedback to Cortana that had been around forever. I've made 3 submissions so far :), I agree that we should provide feedback and suggestions as much as possible. It's the People's digital personal assistant :)

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
As no-one seems to have answered your question directly and as a fellow Bromley resident i feel i must answer this fully.

Most of cortana is based server side (all the info seen on what i call your feed is pulled from the server including layout etc). The only thing that is used locally on your handset is the basic interface and the necessary text to speech files.

Keeping your phone as is and updating will update Cortana period. Irrespective of language.

When you get the Windows Phone 8.1 Update it would be wise once the install is complete to switch everything back to UK and check for any language file updates install them and reboot.

This would then give you the full UK version of Cortana.

TBH i am on the DP and use the Brit Cortana and i am not impressed with the voice so far. I have been tempted to switch back to US as Jen sounds so much better.

Also in regards to the search stuff i just tried it on the UK one and it does the same thing. It orders the results based on their ratings not distance. (While i think of it which got the higher review? The Swan and Mitre or The Greyhound?)

I've also got to agree with the others on here in that as soon as you can switch to the UK one it would be good to do so and start supporting it and providing feedback. The more we put into this the more we get out and the better the experience for everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers