Your reaction over new passive voice activation of Cortana

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the option should be there for any device along with a warning that it may result in excessive battery drain. That said, I can appreciate the decision to not offer it on some devices to avoid tech support headaches.

I think part of the problem here really is that there are far too many devices in the Lumia line. If the iPhone 6 has some hardware-dependent feature that the iPhone 5S does not it's easier to accept because there's a clear delineation between generations. With Nokia/Microsoft spewing out phones incessantly it's hard to know where one device ends and another begins, why one phone has a feature and another doesn't.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah dude ....nokia should be smart enough of that the same priced moto x can listen always but the latest of WP ( 830 ) of same price range can't.

Moto X uses a "special" kind of processor, that has more cores made especially for low power voice detection.

I think the option should be there for any device along with a warning that it may result in excessive battery drain. That said, I can appreciate the decision to not offer it on some devices to avoid tech support headaches.

I think part of the problem here really is that there are far too many devices in the Lumia line. If the iPhone 6 has some hardware-dependent feature that the iPhone 5S does not it's easier to accept because there's a clear delineation between generations. With Nokia/Microsoft spewing out phones incessantly it's hard to know where one device ends and another begins, why one phone has a feature and another doesn't.

Not just battery drain, it'll probably also have to keep one or two cores active and that may heat up the device substantially and completely kill the battery within a few hours.

But there is a solution, similar to what Apple did.

Since the iPhone 5S didn't support passive voice detection either, they decided to activate the feature on it only when the phone was plugged in, I hope that Nokia also implements this.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Moto X uses a "special" kind of processor, that has more cores made especially for low power voice detection.

Not just battery drain, it'll probably also have to keep one or two cores active and that may heat up the device substantially and completely kill the battery within a few hours.

But there is a solution, similar to what Apple did.

Since the iPhone 5S didn't support passive voice detection either, they decided to activate the feature on it only when the phone was plugged in, I hope that Nokia also implements this.

Dude... We all are talking about microsoft here... One of the biggest....it should be easy for them to make a SPECIAL chip for these phone too...

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Dude... We all are talking about microsoft here... One of the biggest....it should be easy for them to make a SPECIAL chip for these phone too...

They have given low power motion detection to these devices, and I believe that is more important than low power voice detection(IMO).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Loving the idea here of existing phones being able to get this if they are plugged in [and so able to run all the time]. Only true flagship SD 800 series will otherwise get it as mentioned as it does require specialized DSP only available on those processors.

Is it useful though...? Hard to say without having it. Would I talk to my phone more if it was listening all the time, or is pressing the button really that hard to get a defined moment of talking?

Sometimes things like this are great gimmicks that aren't really great in the real world. But if Windows Phones don't have them then the X owner will point out it's not available as if that's the end of the world. So getting it is good, is it essential? Unlikely.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I am extremely happy that Cortana has disappeared from my phone (i found it worrying both when active and also when off due to me using a different language interface and region). I hope that if they implement any passive voice for Cortana (which sooner or later will come back with an update on my phone) can be activated and deactivated by the user. Reason being that if Microsoft dares dropping on my PC an always on listening service that i don't need i am off the platform altogether and without thinking for one second. We are paying for sensors that can be used by others for a variety of things.
I don't need Cortana. Lived very well before it, Google Now and all those other tracking/listening embedded crap with fancy names.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I am extremely happy that Cortana has disappeared from my phone (i found it worrying both when active and also when off due to me using a different language interface and region). I hope that if they implement any passive voice for Cortana (which sooner or later will come back with an update on my phone) can be activated and deactivated by the user. Reason being that if Microsoft dares dropping on my PC an always on listening service that i don't need i am off the platform altogether and without thinking for one second. We are paying for sensors that can be used by others for a variety of things.
I don't need Cortana. Lived very well before it, Google Now and all those other tracking/listening embedded crap with fancy names.
It looks like you really don't care,

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

So your computer, internet and smartphone (w/o Cortana) are not "listening" you, right? :)

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the fence...I'm torn between the passive voice activation that I could get on the Icon and the fact that the 830 has Glance. I use Glance dozens of times a day...but that Icon is sure a sweet looking phone :)

At least I have a few more months til I can upgrade to decide...that, plus there's still no official word on if/when a Verizon 83x variant is coming.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
So your computer, internet and smartphone (w/o Cortana) are not "listening" you, right? :)

They listen enough in fact. I don't need Cortana anyways. As a paying consumer i think i have the right to choose what i want installed on my device. Cortana was never one of my interests. If they add up the keyboard input that the OS is missing and fix Office so we can work with it i am happy though. This OS reminds of certain people who go buy the latest, most powerful car (Cortana) on the market to show off with friends and then once they get back home they have the fridge empty (missing keyboard and other basic things that every OS has).

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
As a paying consumer i think i have the right to choose what i want installed on my device. Cortana was never one of my interests.

Yes you always have choices, but you never have all the possibilities. MS is offering you Cortana, you either choose it or not. Of course you can disable Cortana by changing region or language, but considering the constant expansion of Cortana it will be less possible.
P.S. I'm pretty sure you don't have enough money to have all the possibilities ;)

This OS reminds of certain people who go buy the latest, most powerful car (Cortana) on the market to show off with friends and then once they get back home they have the fridge empty (missing keyboard and other basic things that every OS has).

Is there somebody giving most powerful cars for free? Because MS did give Cortana for free as an update. I think your comparison is incorrect.
I'm very sure we will get eventually support for HIDs (like keyboard, flash drives etc), probably in Threshold.
What are the other "basic things that every OS has"? Like the File Manager on iOS? Oh wait...

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes you always have choices, but you never have all the possibilities. MS is offering you Cortana, you either choose it or not. Of course you can disable Cortana by changing region or language, but considering the constant expansion of Cortana it will be less possible.
P.S. I'm pretty sure you don't have enough money to have all the possibilities ;)

Is there somebody giving most powerful cars for free? Because MS did give Cortana for free as an update. I think your comparison is incorrect.
I'm very sure we will get eventually support for HIDs (like keyboard, flash drives etc), probably in Threshold.
What are the other "basic things that every OS has"? Like the File Manager on iOS? Oh wait...

I think my financial possibilities stay with me. But be reassured i can still afford a change of device when needed.
Cortana comes for free and unrequested by many (outside the US in particular). I have mentioned other times that is useless to show off a technology many don't need while depriving the platform of basic functions millions of users need.
Bottom line: Cortana is not on my device at the moment. The update made it disappear and i am fine. When the passive function is activated, in lack of a switch off option i'll jump on something else. This till some European platform comes up.....which is only matter of time.
For PC is different, i went to Linux on a PC. Wanting to maximize the effect i could do some other things but i don't think it's necessary. I am happy as i am.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Cortana comes for free and unrequested by many (outside the US in particular). I have mentioned other times that is useless to show off a technology many don't need while depriving the platform of basic functions millions of users need.

You're the first person I've seen on this forum who finds Cortana as an "unrequested" feature. Who are those many you are talking about..?
Again, what kind of basic functions are you talking about? I've given you a trivial example of lack of File Manager on iOS (although I almost don't use it on my phone), but you still didn't give a proper case.

I think my financial possibilities stay with me. But be reassured i can still afford a change of device when needed.

My point is that no one in this world has all the possibilities (even in mobile world), it's not about how much money do you hold in your bank account.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
You're the first person I've seen on this forum who finds Cortana as an "unrequested" feature. Who are those many you are talking about..?
Again, what kind of basic functions are you talking about? I've given you a trivial example of lack of File Manager on iOS (although I almost don't use it on my phone), but you still didn't give a proper case.

My point is that no one in this world has all the possibilities (even in mobile world), it's not about how much money do you hold in your bank account.
For me he the only uninterested person in the world ( for Cortana) . I have never met anyone else with the same oppinion...all my friends find Cortana cool and want it on their iPhones and Androids ( being the fanboys they are )

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

You must have arrived a tad late. It's full of my posts ranting about things the OS lacks and often the opinion is shared:
- Skype is subpar
- Sharing functions are horrible
- Mail integration sucks, plainly
- Explorer displays pages in an indecent way. You can't choose a default browser from third parties
- Office won't allow you to edit files from PC (they only allowed to open password protected files in the last update...it took only 4 years)
- No encryption, no security
- Input for Traditional Chinese with pinyin is non existent (Sorry if those million Chinese users went unnoticed by you...but they do exist)
- Lack of tons of apps that people like me need for work.
- Something else which escapes my mind at the moment.
- Maps for my region? You better resort to paper maps. Here and the other GMaps photocopies or Bing maps won't take you anywhere and lack so many places that they are utterly useless (for my region)
- Bing apps? Let's skip.
Cortana in this perspective looks what i have said before + something you said "A free display of useless technology below which the OS lacks a host of functionalities". Try to put yourself in other people's needs. A lot of users need Cortana (or they think they do), while others don't need it, especially when the OS lacks basic stuff you need to work with the device. The next update is focusing on camera and a few other things. But i don't need a photocamera either....i need a device i can actually work with.
Apart from that, sales figures speak for themselves. This till the OS becomes suitable for a wider basin of users, including non US/UK and a few other markets ones. I am pretty confident i am not alone. It's up to you to realize that but worry not, i do respect your view, simply can't share it.
On Cortana: can you tell me of one single function/operation you can't do without it?

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
You must have arrived a tad late. It's full of my posts ranting about things the OS lacks and often the opinion is shared:
- Skype is subpar
- Explorer displays pages in an indecent way. You can't choose a default browser from third parties
- Office won't allow you to edit files from PC (they only allowed to open password protected files in the last update...it took only 4 years)
- Input for Traditional Chinese with pinyin is non existent (Sorry if those million Chinese users went unnoticed by you...but they do exist)
- Maps for my region? You better resort to paper maps. Here and the other GMaps photocopies or Bing maps won't take you anywhere and lack so many places that they are utterly useless (for my region)
- Bing apps? Let's skip.
Cortana in this perspective looks what i have said before + something you said "A free display of useless technology below which the OS lacks a host of functionalities". Try to put yourself in other people's needs. A lot of users need Cortana (or they think they do), while others don't need it, especially when the OS lacks basic stuff you need to work with the device. The next update is focusing on camera and a few other things. But i don't need a photocamera either....i need a device i can actually work with.
Apart from that, sales figures speak for themselves. This till the OS becomes suitable for a wider basin of users, including non US/UK and a few other markets ones. I am pretty confident i am not alone. It's up to you to realize that but worry not, i do respect your view, simply can't share it.
On Cortana: can you tell me of one single function/operation you can't do without it?
I don't like saying that but I agree with you on most of the points.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
- Skype is subpar
- Bing apps? Let's skip.

Somewhere I agree, somewhere not, but it depends on personal needs.

Try to put yourself in other people's needs. A lot of users need Cortana (or they think they do), while others don't need it, especially when the OS lacks basic stuff you need to work with the device. The next update is focusing on camera and a few other things. But i don't need a photocamera either....i need a device i can actually work with.

I'm very sure there are options in WP that you don't use as well. Somebody doesn't use Cortana, but it doesn't mean that Cortana should be deleted. The same thing applies to everything in the OS.
I agree that there many people might find something missing from WP, but it's definitely does not apply to every single person.

1. People reminders
2. Geofencing/location reminders.
3. Quiet hours.
4. Driving with hands-free phone use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire