09-08-2014 04:37 AM
53 123
tools
    I was so anxious for this week as I was expecting this feature of passive voice activation ( PVA) but was really disappointed to see phones like 720/820/525/920/925/1020 not getting this feature. What are you guys thinking? Keeping in mind that It can destroy the fan base of 1020 with a slight margin as it cost more than both Lumia 1520 and 930 .
    09-04-2014 11:47 AM
    Will the Ativ S get It?
    09-04-2014 11:48 AM
    Honestly it is sad that we won't get it. At least they could of enable it when charging for example.
    09-04-2014 11:50 AM
    Ugh, the 1020 does not cost more, maybe where you live.

It's understandable that those devices wont get it due to battery life. These very same people will complain, if MS did implement it on those devices, that their battery life is atrocious and performance is bad. These ppl don't understand technology but want everything new for older devices.
    v_emman likes this.
    09-04-2014 11:50 AM
    Will the Ativ S get It?
    does it have the snapdragon 8xx processor? If it has that then yes if no...forget it.
    buddy007 likes this.
    09-04-2014 12:00 PM
    Ugh, the 1020 does not cost more, maybe where you live.

It's understandable that those devices wont get it due to battery life. These very same people will complain, if MS did implement it on those devices, that their battery life is atrocious and performance is bad. These ppl don't understand technology but want everything new for older devices.
    I understand your point but devices like 830 too don't have it...I mean c'mon? A cheaper android phone has it ( moto x ) ..they could have given that to it.
    09-04-2014 12:02 PM
    So you mean those phone to have it have better battery life?
    I am waiting for the successor of 1020 hoping they will put a listening chip as well as one of the latest processors preferably the 810
    09-04-2014 12:04 PM
    Did anyone from Nokia/MS actually say that it requires the Snapdragon 8xx series? The documentation about the firmware on Nokia's site states that the Voice Activation is thanks to the SensorCore which IS included in devices like the 630. I haven't been paying a lot of attention quite yet since work has been busy, but here's the link to Nokia Conversations:
    Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Conversations
    09-04-2014 12:11 PM
    This isn't Nokia's fault, the newer Snapdragon 800 processors have support for low power motion sensors and low power voice sensors.

While it is possible for passive voice detection to appear in the older Lumia generation it would kill your battery very fast, plus it might not even be as accurate or consistent.

That is the reason why only Lumia 1520, 930 and Icon support this feature.
    v_emman and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-04-2014 12:44 PM
    While it would have been nice to have this on all 8.1 devices, battery is a major issue. So unless Cortana & all her features can be optimised to such a state that they consume lesser power, I think I can live with calling her up at the press of the search key.
    09-04-2014 12:55 PM
    Did anyone from Nokia/MS actually say that it requires the Snapdragon 8xx series? The documentation about the firmware on Nokia's site states that the Voice Activation is thanks to the SensorCore which IS included in devices like the 630. I haven't been paying a lot of attention quite yet since work has been busy, but here's the link to Nokia Conversations:
    Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Conversations
    Hoping for you to be correct.
    09-04-2014 01:31 PM
    While it would have been nice to have this on all 8.1 devices, battery is a major issue. So unless Cortana & all her features can be optimised to such a state that they consume lesser power, I think I can live with calling her up at the press of the search key.
    It's not Cortana that would drain the battery, it would be the processors that would constantly be running the microphones. There is no way to optimize the battery in this situation.

Eh, if it's consolation the search button isn't really that bad.

But the least Nokia could do, is, activate passive voice when the phone is on charging.
    buddy007 likes this.
    09-05-2014 12:01 AM
    Do you guys think that it's possible the One M8 could get this in a future update? (I don't know if the android version of the M8 supports the "OK Google" passive voice activation thing or not)
    09-05-2014 12:05 AM
    Do you guys think that it's possible the One M8 could get this in a future update? (I don't know if the android version of the M8 supports the "OK Google" passive voice activation thing or not)
    The M8 has hardware capable of this feature, but currently it seems to be a Lumia Denim exclusive.

The Android HTC One M8 has Google Now everywhere, except when the phone is locked. But Android L will bring passive voice detection to all Snapdragon 800 devices.

I hope that Microsoft does the same with Windows Phone.
    idokamaroq likes this.
    09-05-2014 12:42 AM
    I believe I remember hearing a while back that these kind of features would require the SD 8xx, 6xx, or 4xx series which makes complete sense and I agree with.
    09-05-2014 12:44 AM
    I believe I remember hearing a while back that these kind of features would require the SD 8xx, 6xx, or 4xx series which makes complete sense and I agree with.
    Pretty sure that Snapdragon 800 are the only processors with this feature.
    09-05-2014 01:01 AM
    800+ (so 800, 801, 805, ect.)
    salmanahmad likes this.
    09-05-2014 01:07 AM
    It's lame. Unavailable for both 730 and 830. Requires 80x chip.
    09-05-2014 01:23 AM
    The NSA is excited about an always listening phone.
    09-05-2014 01:35 AM
    It's lame. Unavailable for both 730 and 830. Requires 80x chip.
    Yeah dude ....nokia should be smart enough of that the same priced moto x can listen always but the latest of WP ( 830 ) of same price range can't.
    09-05-2014 09:55 AM
    I would love to have it. But first I must get cortana :( (not available in my region)
    09-05-2014 09:55 AM
    I think the option should be there for any device along with a warning that it may result in excessive battery drain. That said, I can appreciate the decision to not offer it on some devices to avoid tech support headaches.

I think part of the problem here really is that there are far too many devices in the Lumia line. If the iPhone 6 has some hardware-dependent feature that the iPhone 5S does not it's easier to accept because there's a clear delineation between generations. With Nokia/Microsoft spewing out phones incessantly it's hard to know where one device ends and another begins, why one phone has a feature and another doesn't.
    09-05-2014 10:13 AM
    Yeah dude ....nokia should be smart enough of that the same priced moto x can listen always but the latest of WP ( 830 ) of same price range can't.
    Moto X uses a "special" kind of processor, that has more cores made especially for low power voice detection.

I think the option should be there for any device along with a warning that it may result in excessive battery drain. That said, I can appreciate the decision to not offer it on some devices to avoid tech support headaches.

I think part of the problem here really is that there are far too many devices in the Lumia line. If the iPhone 6 has some hardware-dependent feature that the iPhone 5S does not it's easier to accept because there's a clear delineation between generations. With Nokia/Microsoft spewing out phones incessantly it's hard to know where one device ends and another begins, why one phone has a feature and another doesn't.
    Not just battery drain, it'll probably also have to keep one or two cores active and that may heat up the device substantially and completely kill the battery within a few hours.

But there is a solution, similar to what Apple did.

Since the iPhone 5S didn't support passive voice detection either, they decided to activate the feature on it only when the phone was plugged in, I hope that Nokia also implements this.
    09-05-2014 12:24 PM
    Moto X uses a "special" kind of processor, that has more cores made especially for low power voice detection.

Not just battery drain, it'll probably also have to keep one or two cores active and that may heat up the device substantially and completely kill the battery within a few hours.

But there is a solution, similar to what Apple did.

Since the iPhone 5S didn't support passive voice detection either, they decided to activate the feature on it only when the phone was plugged in, I hope that Nokia also implements this.
    Dude... We all are talking about microsoft here... One of the biggest....it should be easy for them to make a SPECIAL chip for these phone too...
    09-06-2014 05:35 AM
    Dude... We all are talking about microsoft here... One of the biggest....it should be easy for them to make a SPECIAL chip for these phone too...
    They have given low power motion detection to these devices, and I believe that is more important than low power voice detection(IMO).
    09-06-2014 08:39 AM
53 123