Unable to configure Cortana

Stephen Barr

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Cortana was installed on my Nokia 820 during a recent software update.
However, it does not appear as an application and there is no 'settings' icon on the top right hand corner of the screen so I'm unable to configure it or turn it off.
I really don't want or need it at the moment so any help would be much appreciated.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Cortana was installed on my Nokia 820 during a recent software update.
However, it does not appear as an application and there is no 'settings' icon on the top right hand corner of the screen so I'm unable to configure it or turn it off.
I really don't want or need it at the moment so any help would be much appreciated.
I think you can see it in app listing as well in the settings of your phone. Tap on settings. swipe left or right to go into applications. Cortana likes it on top ;) LOL

Tap on it and you see a toggle switch to turn it off. Hope it helps

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think you can see it in app listing as well in the settings of your phone. Tap on settings. swipe left or right to go into applications. Cortana likes it on top ;) LOL

Tap on it and you see a toggle switch to turn it off. Hope it helps

Best possible answer :D

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can also hit the search button on the phone and type "Cortana settings" into the search box (it'll appear in the suggestions dropdown as soon as you get to "corta, so pretty quick to get to).

You can quickly get to any settings in the phone doing this.

Stephen Barr

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your replies folks but the problem as I mentioned in my original post is that it doesn't appear in my App listings and there is no settings (three bar) icon to allow me to configure it.
o Aperture o I did a search of 'Cortana Settings' only to be told that Cortana was not available in my region (Hertford UK) so why is she talking to me and why can I not make her stop but my thanks to you anyway for taking the trouble to help me?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok Stephen. Cortana is currently only available in the UK if you're in the "Preview for Developers" program. If you go into settings->about, you should see the version of software. For Cortana in the UK, this should be "Windows Phone 8.1 Update". The "Update" part at the end is important in that this is the first update after 8.1.

If you're not in the Preview for Developers, then it's a fairly simple procedure to set up. This basically means that you'll get updates early - you don't have to be an actual developer.

You're saying that Cortana won't stop talking - this may indicate that you have the Narrator feature turned on.

Read here for what Narrator is, how to use it, and how to turn it off.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/H...lization/use-narrator-on-my-phone?signin=true

Stephen Barr

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again o Aperture o....I am running Windows Phone 8.1 but NOT update so perhaps when the first update to 8.1 becomes available it may solve my problem. I've also tried VolumeUp+WindowsKey with no effect and Narrator is switched OFF.
Thanks for your continued interest and support and best wishes from the UK.
Steve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes