I had the developer preview that wouldn't update because of the 0x8....308 error. It's been prompting me to update almost everday. Last week we had a baby, recorded some videos took some pictures etc (should have used my wifes iphone). A couple of days ago I had enough of the 308f error and decided to reset my phone. Oops, i hadn't done backups and lost the pictures and videos. My fault I guess.. although not sure why I have to deal with this nonsense in the first place.

Anyway phone has reset, I got Windows 8.1 update 1. Firmware version is 3051.50009.1424.000. According to this page, my Rogers L920 is on Windows 8.1 update 1 Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 Release Date in Canada - Lumia Cyan

but wait. There's no cortana on my phone. No cortana settings, no cortana app. What the hell?

For settings..
    Language: English (Canada)
    Speech: English (United States)

So basically I reset my phone for nothing. Spent all my time fiddling with this thing. How does MS think they are going to get more than 3% share with a phone that requires so much maintenance, is region limited, has ****ty notification system, crappy music player, terrible alarm time apps, no good games. Very annoying indeed but that's what I get for trying something with the name "Windows" in it right?
    09-11-2014 09:03 AM
    Your language needs to be set to English (US). English (Canada) will not enable Cortana.
    09-11-2014 09:09 AM
    Nope. My region probably needs to be changed to US like I had it with the dev preview but I can't buy any apps this way.
    09-11-2014 10:20 AM
    It won't work with just the Cyan update. You'll need the Preview for Developers Update 1 to get Cortana Alpha for Canada. Activate Cortana alpha version in India, Canada, and Australia | Windows Phone Central
    Pete likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:38 AM
    The first sentence in that article is absolutely wrong

Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 which is called as Lumia Cyan Update
    Nokia's firmware for Windows Phone 8.1 is Cyan. The Nokia firmware for Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 (GDR1) is "Denim". It's pretty understandable that you're confused by this article, it's confusing WP8.1 with the later update (preview only at this point).

This is why WPCentral should be the go-to place for accurate news.

Basically, Cortana for Canada comes with the "Denim" update which comes after Cyan. People who are in the Preview for Developers program will have it early because they get OS updates from Microsoft earlier.
    Last edited by o Aperture o; 09-12-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    09-12-2014 01:48 AM
    thanks for sharing this amazing post. it worked for me. But i tried to click on it's opening something else?
    06-12-2017 07:08 AM